Cat 3208 fuel pump RnR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Pacific Myst
Vessel Make
West Bay 4500
Does anyone have first hand experience removing and reinstalling a Cat 3208 fuel pump?

I've got fuel collecting in the valley which according to the engine surveyor at pre purchase and what I've read online points to the governor control rod seal.

It seems to be possible to change this seal without pulling the pump but due to the age of the engines, 1983 and 4000 hrs, I'm thinking it's time to have the pumps and injectors serviced.

So it's decision time. Do I hire it our or wrestle with it myself.

Thanks in advance for any experience based help provided.

(Yes, I know about boatdiesel.com and am a member there)

If it runs fine, but just leaks out the gov speed control lever shaft, just pull the back of the pump but leave the pump in place. If a TA engine, aftercooler must come off. T or NA the intake must come off. Otherwise no big deal. Just don't mix up any parts or lose anything. Done it a few times, no issues.

Thanks Ski. They are NAs. Trying to learn what's involved before I decide to tackle it myself or not.

Last summer, our starboard engine (3208TA 375 hp) sprung a leak from a telltale- turns out it was an injection pump seal. Radtke Marine Diesel in Ballard (206-789-5850) did the repairs, and we found out that there was corrosion in the pump that led to the seal failure.

I had both injection pumps pulled and serviced. I am very mechanically competent, and felt it was money well spent to have Radtke do the work.

Peter, thank you for that. I've not used Radtke but I am aware of their good rep. I'm on Whidbey Island so travel time is a killer cost wise. I'd have to move the boat to Seattle. Another option is Tri-County in Bellingham. Either of those shops are likely to farm the pump overhaul out to a specialty shop. So my question is do I hire Radke or Tri-county to RnR the pumps? Or do I do it?

I have to learn about special tools and procedures. Another concern is antique knees, hips and back. Yeah, I'm an OK mechanic having cared for boats most of my life. But.... it sure hurts to work in an engine room any more. I just did the house bank, with help, and it took me about a week to recover from that.

Radtke does everything in house- nothing is farmed our to subcontractors. Even with travel time, it may be cost effective, as the can pull both pumps, bring them in for service, then reinstall both.

What took them a few hours to do (pull the injection pump) would have taken me a couple of days...

Back
Top Bottom