Powder Coating STIDD Helm Chair Pedestal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
I took a STIDD helm chair pedestal to the local powder coasting shop this afternoon to have it blasted and redone. They told me they could not handle it unless all of the plastics, handles and hydraulics were removed first as they they heat to 400 degrees.

They would take it apart for me, but it would be at my risk.

I have sent a note off to STIDD asking for alternatives.

Meanwhile have any of you taken one of these apart - easy/hard, watch outs?

New costs between $850 and $1000.

Alternative is to take a sander to it all, prime and paint it myself. I would rather have it powder coated.

Attachments

• Pedestal.jpg
    Pedestal.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 80
My Stidd chair INSIDE my pilothouse is having similar issues. Whether powder coated or painted, some aluminum alloys don't seem to retain the coating well. Have two dinghy crane parts that were properly stripped and repainted, that now have the paint peeling. No issues with the rest of the paint on the crane. Extremely frustrating!

Ted

My Stidd chair INSIDE my pilothouse is having similar issues. Whether powder coated or painted, some aluminum alloys don't seem to retain the coating well. Have two dinghy crane parts that were properly stripped and repainted, that now have the paint peeling. No issues with the rest of the paint on the crane. Extremely frustrating!

Ted

My PH STIDD pedestal is stainless so no issues there.

It might have been better to have the FB pair stainless too.

I sent a question to STIDD at 5:23 using their on-line contact form and Jennifer got back to me, cc'ing a few other STIDD folks, at 5:30!

I just sent her a couple of photos. So we will see what can be done.

Last edited:
I bought the pieces of my Stidd over three years and didn’t get the best of all pedestals, shown here in its ugly maroon powder coat. I couldn’t find a cheap one anywhere so I ground off the powder coat, primed and painted with Rustolium for Aliminum. No issues since. It’s not perfect, but it looks just like the chair finish.

Attachments

• 112F8687-DF59-44BD-932D-CF40D8BE56EA.jpg
    112F8687-DF59-44BD-932D-CF40D8BE56EA.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 75
Here it is just after mounting. The rest of the helm and pilothouse has been upgraded since.

Attachments

• FD44A8CD-CE98-46C6-9AA1-C44851C12CE6.jpg
    FD44A8CD-CE98-46C6-9AA1-C44851C12CE6.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 67
My 2018 Stidd helm post has a coating that is “bubbling off”

I presumed from the salt air as I often drive with the pilot house doors open.

I was surprised a device for the ocean environment would be manufactured in such a way.

Interesting to see others also have non durable coating apparently. mine has a shiny metallic, ? Chrome like, surface that didn’t survive 1.5 years before degradation

My personal experience is that powder coating will last until it doesn't bubbling up like leprosy. Cheaper, faster, and just as effective to prep and paint it.

The problem in recoating something with paint or powder is that it is really difficult to get all the corrosion off the aluminum so it comes back again.

The problem in recoating something with paint or powder is that it is really difficult to get all the corrosion off the aluminum so it comes back again.

That's exactly what the powder shop guy told me as well. Even if I got everything off and he did the job he couldn't guarantee he blasted all the corrosion off - rust was easier!

Yup, it will most likely come off again at some point. If you have plain aluminum you could try a wipe on finish like Shark Hide. I have not tried it but have seen advertisements on Ship Shape TV and it looks nice and is easy to put on.

I’ve used POR15 on rusted steel and once dry, it is hard as rock. After 10+ yrs on my VWs it has not peeled, flecked or failed. It can be painted over and comes in black or gray. I believe it has to be top coated to protect it from UV. Just another possibility.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom