Circumnavigating N. America, by Kayak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MurrayM

Guru
Vessel Name
Badger
Vessel Make
30' Sundowner Tug
Murray have you read “Rowing to Latitude?

And the never-ending question is "why?" Usually there is some self actualization/discovery going on with such out of the norm activities.

Paul Therouxs’ , The Happy Isles of Oceana, seems like it is the penultimate paddling away book.

And the never-ending question is "why?" Usually there is some self actualization/discovery going on with such out of the norm activities.

"Why not" is an equally valid question.

While trips like this seem out of the norm from the outside looking in, after about a month or so it just becomes your life, and absolutely normal.

When my wife and I paddled into Port Hardy on Vancouver Island from up north, we got a motel room and it took us about 10 minutes of sitting on the floor to realize there were chairs in the room. Modern life was out of our norm.

If a car accident hadn't changed the rules to our Life, we'd still be paddling. There is nothing like being so close the ocean, and living so close to the rhythms of Nature.

Love our boat as it allows us to still 'get out there', but it's nothing like the intimacy or connectedness sea kayaks allow.

Last edited:
I don't know, I can get pretty close to the "rhythms of Nature" curled up in the V berth, and my little bottom has not been wet all day long,:socool:

Last edited:
I don't know, I can get pretty close to the "rhythms of Nature" curled up in the V berth, and my little bottom has not been wet all day long,:socool:
Agree!!!
We love our recliners for comfort but dont have to stay home to be comfy. Have 2 aboard Bacchus and 2 on our motorhome. Adventures dont have to be uncomfortable!

If you rode a gondola to a mountains peak, would your experience of the mountain be the same compared to hiking up from the bottom? If you bicycled the length of the Rocky Mountains, would you have noticed the same nuances if you had driven the same route in a camperized Greyhound bus?

Yes, all my life (till recently) I have primitive camped and enjoyed 4 military survival schools.

Enjoyed those years but now the old bones enjoy thicker mattresses and warmer toilet facilities.

As to enjoying "primitive", "close to nature", etc...getting there and being out in it for periods of time can be just as rewarding as living full time in it.

Sure there is satisfaction in long distance anything, but it's just an " accomplishment"....not necessarily the E ticket to just "seeing" the world.

Granted that "living full time" in wilderness gives you greater frequency of seeing mother nature, but many of my highlights seen in mother nature were on trips where the nightly base was more than a sleeping bag or tent.

I somewhat compare this to the Great Looper discussing with a group of boaters how great an accomplishment being a Looper is.....and their thinking of how a one year loop is the ultimate achievement for many boaters while half the group has 50,000 miles of cruising and over 50 years under their belts.....but no gold loop flag. Is the loop just part of a lifestyle or is it an accomplishment? When reality it is both .....but not a guarantee of either depending on personalities and expectations.

Last edited:
Greetings,

Mr. MM. Different strokes for different folks. I find it quite relaxing to sit in a boat and drown a worm. My wife hates it. She'd rather sit on the beach, tan and read. Now THAT I find a complete waste of time. At the end of the day, we're BOTH content with how we passed the time.

"Why not" is an equally valid question.

While trips like this seem out of the norm from the outside looking in, after about a month or so it just becomes your life, and absolutely normal.

When my wife and I paddled into Port Hardy on Vancouver Island from up north, we got a motel room and it took us about 10 minutes of sitting on the floor to realize there were chairs in the room. Modern life was out of our norm.

If a car accident hadn't changed the rules to our Life, we'd still be paddling. There is nothing like being so close the ocean, and living so close to the rhythms of Nature.

Love our boat as it allows us to still 'get out there', but it's nothing like the intimacy or connectedness sea kayaks allow.

And there we have it, your "why" or "why not," as the case may fit for your apparently extended paddle. Thanks. Maybe we will hear from the subject of this thread someday about "why."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom