starting problem cat 3208ta aftrt no fuel stop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patrick4002

Vessel Name
Lady Penelope
Vessel Make
Trader 54 sunliner
Hello when cleaning the port tank, i started the starboard engine who took air in the fuel line (strange thing in the back for the fuel to the generator has past air from the empty port tank to the intake of the starboard tank)
the port engine stopt on no fuel.

i have placed a new fuel filter (blocked ??) but when pumping manuely the are bubbles comming in the fuel/water seperator closed all valves to the port tank and could then pump back to pressure.

Have tryed several time to start the engine but no sound
anny sugestions ?

Last edited:
It sounds to me like you still have air in the system that needs to be bled.

But my diesel experience is limited to ford lehmans in a boat that doesn't float yet and riding diesel busses 35 years ago...

Crack all the injectors open, then prime till you get clear diesel (no bubbles) from each injector. Then, tighten then injectors and start the engine.

You probably have air in the injector tubes. As above, loosen the nut where the tube attaches to the injector. Put some rags to catch any fuel. If you slack all the nuts, you can crank the engine. It won't start with the nuts slack because by reliving the pressure the injector spring loaded valve won't open. A few revolutions should clear the air.

Air compress, fuel not so much. When you have air in the injector tubes, the high pressure is dissipated as the air compresses, and the valve doesn't open.

Attachments

• Injector3.gif
    Injector3.gif
    63.7 KB · Views: 39
thanks for the advice, i only loosend 4 of the injector lines (other difficult to reach)
crank the engine to bleed the injector lines, fastend then and i had a perfect start.
a simple intervention, but good have to now the sulution, as a electricien, it is good to get some advice

Best regards,
Patrick

I think my last boat with 3208 Cats didn't need line cracking to bleed. I thought there was a valve on the injection pump that worked just fine.

I could be wrong but so many people automatically say crack injector lines when not necessart...like on some Lehmans and Westerbekes....

Best bet is check a manual, not "generic" backyard mechanic sources unless they quote chapter and verse because they own the exact model engine you have and sound like they have had them through all the trials and tribulations we all know happen.

A few google searches for 3208 bleeding revealed what I thought...bleed valve on the injection pump...sounded like everything else posted was "noise".

Last edited:
I think Ford’s are self-bleeding too.

Also, (cue Elmer the Safety Elephant) remember that the pressure from an injection pump can inject fuel into you, too. If you get off on having your arm filled with diesel, put your hand over the “leak.” I hope this description is gross enough for you to remember?

I think my last boat with 3208 Cats didn't need line cracking to bleed. I thought there was a valve on the injection pump that worked just fine.

I could be wrong but so many people automatically say crack injector lines when not necessart...like on some Lehmans and Westerbekes....

Best bet is check a manual, not "generic" backyard mechanic sources unless they quote chapter and verse because they own the exact model engine you have and sound like they have had them through all the trials and tribulations we all know happen.

A few google searches for 3208 bleeding revealed what I thought...bleed valve on the injection pump...sounded like everything else posted was "noise".

No need to crack injectors lines. If you follow the instructions in your CAT manual, you need to open the little valve on top of the motor. Then pump the manual pump until all air bubbles are gone. Problem is the outlet is on the other side of the motor and dumps fuel into the bilge. Get a tray or a bunch of diapers to catch the excess.

As some have mentioned, bleed the injector pump. There should be a little valve with a t handle on it and a small tube coming off of it. Locate the end of the tube and put a cup under it. It will not bleed by turning over the engine. You need to pump the system with the hand pump located on the primary fuel filter or use auxiliary pump if you have one. Keep pumping until a steady stream of fuel comes out.

Back
Top Bottom