New transducter time. Bottom contour or just depth & temp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FBoykin

Vessel Name
Hannah Jane
Vessel Make
2000 Grand Banks 42 Classic
It's bottom painting time on my Grand Banks 42 and I want to get a new transducer to replace a long dead one from PO. My Garmin system currently picks up depth through a Raytheon Tridata standalone & its transducer. I would turn Tridata back to standalone and only use it if new transducer goes out (I know both can't be on at same time or they'll interfere w/each other).

So how many of y'all pick up just depth (& maybe water temp) vs how many pick up bottom contour too?

I could go simple transducer - depth & water temp. Or spend more and add a Garmin "black box", upgraded transducer and show bottom as well.

My Garmin on my 18' center console shows contour, but I find I mostly only use that for fishing. When I'm running I mostly just show depth on nav chart.

Thanks!

I run 3 transducers simultaneously. I have one that feeds a Garmin black box for multi color graphic display, and 2 that tie into the NMEA 2000 network. One of the NMEA 2000 units is in the very bow to alert me to shallow water when probing anchorages. The other 2 are closer to midship. All have temperature modules and internal offsets.

Ted

For what it’s worth, we’ve never been able to keep temperature sensors working for more that 3-4 years. That includes tri-ducers and standalone temp sensors. I’m not the only one who’s had issues. It’s nice data to have but I gave up replacing them.

O C Diver. I'm very much interested in your setup. Anyway I can get more detail? Both my electronics guy and Garmin website say you can't run multiple transducers as the frequencies will overlap and cause mis-communication to the Garmin displays.

O C Diver. I'm very much interested in your setup. Anyway I can get more detail? Both my electronics guy and Garmin website say you can't run multiple transducers as the frequencies will overlap and cause mis-communication to the Garmin displays.

As long as the frequency difference is large enough and the transponders arent right next to one another (even then a few feet I believe is OK)...no issues.

https://www.theonlinefisherman.com/ask-a-captain/can-i-run-two-transducers-simultaneously-on-a-boat

We have two independent system’s, Furuno and Lowrance. The Lowrence has depth and a temp transducer and about 4’ away is the Furuno tri-ducer. The only issue is the Lowance at deep depths, greater than 800’, will cause interference on one of the 3 vhf radios.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom