• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

PNW cruiser wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Earrame

Veteran Member
Hello everyone,
We recently finished our Great Loop (and a half) in our Mainship 390 and are now looking for a boat for cruising PNW for couple of seasons. It will probably need to be in Seattle/ Vancouver area. Budget +/- USD100k.
At this stage not yet set on any model in particular, but it will need to be comfortable, well maintained, in good condition and essentially ready to go. We want to be on the boat sometime in April for a May departure.
If you have or know of a suitable boat, please get in touch.

If 100K is your budget, why not just ship your Mainship 390 here. You can put it on those types of ships that partially submerge, drive your boat on, they shore it up and you can either stay on the ship for the trip or fly in later.

This type of ship used to anchor and pick up boats for transfer back to Florida, it came to our area for a number of years (Deep Cove, North Vancouver, BC). I'm not sure of all the destinations this company covers.

https://digg.com/video/yacht-transport-ship

Last edited:
My impression is that Trawler-type boats go for a higher price here in the PNW. And, if your new boat will be of any size, particularly longer than about 35-40 feet, get on marina waiting lists now :). I am one year into my wait for a 50-foot slip at Cap Sante Marina in Anacortes WA. It’s a nice marina with easy access to the San Juan Islands and parts north. Welcome to NW cruising!

By the way - "seasons" here can be year round if you plan it carefully. We use our trawler year round...sometimes we're sorry but more often just wet. If you opt to work with a broker try Waterline in Seattle, we bought through them. And do take the caution on slip availability seriously, we keep our boat at Port of Everett and there are some waits 3+ years for 40+ ft. Good luck!

Hello everyone,
We recently finished our Great Loop (and a half) in our Mainship 390 and are now looking for a boat for cruising PNW for couple of seasons. It will probably need to be in Seattle/ Vancouver area. Budget +/- USD100k.
At this stage not yet set on any model in particular, but it will need to be comfortable, well maintained, in good condition and essentially ready to go. We want to be on the boat sometime in April for a May departure.
If you have or know of a suitable boat, please get in touch.
Earrame,
There are some slips available on Vancouver Island (Canada) for full time use and some available for seasonal use (vacate slip from May 1 to October 1 for instance). Some of these marinas are a bit "out of the way", but if you are coming in from Aus., may be OK for you?
Good luck on your boat hunt. If you are looking for a broker, we were happy with Richard Hargreaves from Yacht Sales West in Vancouver. He is a no BS kind of guy with a dry sense of humour, who went above and beyond for us :D.

Thank you for the warnings about marina shortages- we will certainly bear this in mind.
Ditto for the advice about brokers- is it usual in the PNW for brokers to act as a buyer's broker on a split commission basis?

Although any broker would like to get "both parts" of the sale, they often only get one (either the listing broker or the selling broker). Personally, I think there is a (at least potential) conflict of interest with using only one broker.
For us, we used the same broker to list our boat when we sold, and to act as our "buyer's broker" when buying.

Good luck with your searches.

Thank you for the warnings about marina shortages- we will certainly bear this in mind.
Ditto for the advice about brokers- is it usual in the PNW for brokers to act as a buyer's broker on a split commission basis?

Yes, brokers will act as a buyers broker and split commissions with the listing broker, and that is exactly the case in our purchase of a Nordic Tug 42 that is set to close on Monday.

We were quoted a 2 to 3 year wait at Cap Sante in Anacortes for a 50 or 57 foot slip this past Monday. They do not allow any overhang and the dingy/davit configuration on our prospective purchase takes us just over 50 feet LOA. Some marinas have a more generous overhang allowance in the PNW. Squalicum Harbor in Bellingham also has a lengthy wait list. Sublets are sometimes available, but from March to October, they are difficult to find.

Check out Point Roberts, they may have something.

Also check Blaine WA. It’s part of the Bellingham port, but often has openings and is low cost. Skyline Marine on the west side of Anacortes might have some openings as well - or at least a shorter wait and it, too, is less expensive and allows some overhang.

This is all useful- thank you all.
We won't need one for the summer as we will be travelling the whole time, but will need a slip for the off season.
All I have to do is find the right boat.....

Earrame,
If you are indeed coming in to boat from Australia, you might want to consider mooring in Canada. I don't know all the "rules" for "foreign boat owners", but it can't be too stringent as there are a fairly large number of US owned boats moored in BC. There is moorage available in Nanaimo at both the Port Authority docks (right downtown) and at a relatively new marina with a waterfront hotel. Nanaimo is located about mid island on Vancouver Island, which allows easy access to the Gulf Islands, US San Juans (same day), the Sunshine Coast, Desolation Sound and points north.
Point Roberts Marina definitely has vacancy. I used to moor there and still have many friends who moor there. It is located on Point Roberts (no kidding:)), which is a piece of US land that is only accessible by water or by land entering from Canada! It is not the easiest to get to without your own car (taxi does go there). The upside is that PR is close to the US San Juan Islands, the Canadian Gulf Islands, Victoria, etc. The fairways are wide, and the slips are fairly wide at Point Bob.
Due to way more coastline in BC than is available in Puget Sound, etc. a lot of American boaters spend most of their time in BC (some go to Alaska). If your boat was moored in BC, it would avoid another border crossing situation. Not that big of a deal, but "just saying".
Good luck,

This is all useful- thank you all.
We won't need one for the summer as we will be travelling the whole time, but will need a slip for the off season.
All I have to do is find the right boat.....

I don't think you are into the spirit of what we are telling you, if you find moorage take it, yes you will be paying for time away from it like we all do. But don't think you can leave a marina in the spring and come back in the fall and something will be available, and this is true as you increase your boat size.

Thanks for the help and advice about slip availability- I have taken note!
I have a preference for overwintering the boat in BC as Canada is a little easier for us from a visa angle.....but first I need to find a boat.
We shall keep looking .

We have a 43' Nova Sundeck Troller that was a great cruising boat. It's currently in Napa CA, but is in very good shape, well cared for. It's listed at $89,950 w/broker. could take $79K w/out brokers. Estate sale. you can see pictures on https://www.napavalleymarina.com/blog/yacht-sales/43-nova-cockpit-motoryacht
My dad was in coast guard for 22 years, and took care of his boat. Likewise my brother has had it in Cali and also takes care of it well.

How about a Fisher?

Well, my boat is for sale also. She is an English built Fairways Fisher 38' trawler (43'OA) w/twin Ford Lehman Sabre diesels- 1979. Now in yard replacing fuel tanks and other refurbishments. Will be ready in two months. Well built strong boat that looks great. Asking $99,000.

You have multiple areas in BC to look for boats, Vancouver obviously has a good supply, also Victoria, and to a lesser degree up Island, like Nanaimo and Courtney/Comox and Campbell River.

Thanks rsn. We are quite prepared to cast a wide net and will probably look for a buyer's broker in the next week or two.

So 100 K American which is roughly 130 K Canadian and a boat 39 feet or longer. I do peruse some locations for boats so I'll keep this as the criterion.

Here is one, yes a wood boat, and yes you would be wise not purchase it, but.... what a great boat:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/856480524796666/

A 42 foot uniflite:

https://victoria.craigslist.org/boa/d/vancouver-uniflite-42-ft-double-cabin/7060337707.html

This one is $145,00 so roughly $15,000 over budget when translating $100 K American to Canadian, Bayliner Pilothouse 50':

https://victoria.craigslist.org/boa/d/sidney-bayliner-pilothouse/7065660601.html

A little bit smaller, a 36 Grand Banks 1980 (fiberglass hull):

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-m...ntown-west-end/36-grand-banks-1980/1483770728

I will keep looking.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for these references. I am hoping that someone on TF will have, or know of, the right boat.
You are right about the first one on your list- we love other people owning wooden boats..
We are prepared to extend our budget if we have to, but that would mean there is less available for any upgrades, and there will likely have to be some.
I appreciate everyone's help.

Suggestion number two, subscribe to Pacific Yachting a local magazine that has been around a long time. There is a digital subscription available below with boats advertised, I just went through the back pages of boats for sale and found a few in your price range.

There will be more boats listed as we are just heading into our spring so more will become available more into march. The problem as I have experienced it is that the boats that are in great shape at a great price sell in about ten minutes. A buddy of mine sold his CHB in Ladysmith, BC. The guy who bought it didn't even have a boating license and had never boated. He wanted the boat for a live aboard only. By the way, I recommended this boat to a TF member but by the time he got around to following up on it, it had gone.

https://www.pacificyachting.com/pricing/

We have a 44' Nova sundeck moored in Napa marina. the boat was from Puget Sound and brother took it to Cali. It fairs very well in Wa waters. Here is the link....https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1986/nova-cpmy-3609743/
Good luck!
This is an estate sale. Boat must be sold

Tina
nova-cpmy-3609743

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom