Similar to a Defever 49 RPH but smaller?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi all,

I've been lurking on this forum for a while but this is my first post. :)

The Captain and I are beginning to look at our future liveaboard dream boat. We currently cruise around the beautiful east end of Long Island, NY on Miss Fitz a 1978 32' Uniflite which we have lovingly restored over the past 10 years. We are about 12 years away from retirement but want to have several years to work on and also get used to our future boat before setting sail for points south (Florida Keys and Bahamas as well as the Great Loop). We recently saw a 1983 Defever 49 RPH which has everything I would like in a vessel but the Captain thinks we are buying too big and has his reservations. What I feel is most important for us is a 2 stateroom layout, easy walkability around the sides (I like a Europa style but as long as I can easily walk around that isn't a must have), an easy climb down to the swim platform (most aft cabin designs make for a big climb up a ladder to get back on board after a swim), a pilothouse, a galley that isn't a "step down", ample aft deck space (preferably covered because the Captain is fair skinned and burns) but also ample bow space to set up some deck chairs. Another MUST is easy access to the flybridge (preferable with "indoor" steps from the pilot house. Basically exactly like the Defever 49 RPH but Cap wants something in the 44' range. I've looked at Island Gypsy's and Albins (Grand Banks and Hatteras' are going to be too far out of our price range). We have no problems doing work and aren't afraid of older boats. Any recommendations on designs I should look at are appreciated. Also any advice you can give me to convince the Captain that the DF 49 RHP is the perfect choice is also appreciated :lol:

Last edited:
Keeping the wife/cook/mate happy is a big one

That's very true! It took me a few years but now that I can successfully run all systems, anchor, moor and dock Miss Fitz by myself I am advising him we need to move up or I might have to move him out! :rofl: j/k

Welcome!

The difference in boat-handling skills needed between that 49 and a 44 are fairly negligible IMHO. Are his reservations about maintaining a boat that large, costs or something else?

I can understand that being used to a 32, a 49 RPH would seem cavernous. It may surprise him to find that in a couple years that boat will have “shrunk” considerably. Did you get to sea-trial the 49? If not, it’s hard to appreciate how pleasant a boat that size is while underway.

Good luck with your search.

The 49 DeFever RPH is one of my dream boats. If you're willing to go to a 44 from a 32 the jump to the 49 isn't that much more. Since you're comfortable with older boats, the 49 should be fine as they'll be 40-50 years old before you start extensive cruising. Having completed the loop this year, the 49 is as large as I'd like to go for that trip. Twin engines, walk around side decks, walk in engine room, inside access to fly bridge and gorgeous pilot house are all good reasons to go a bit bigger.
Did you have any similar discussions when you bought the Uniflite?

James

Greetings,
Mr. M. Welcome aboard. A Defever 49 PH is indeed a nice vessel BUT despite it's overall size, it's not terribly well laid out IMO. Small saloon, only 2 staterooms and more of a crawl in ER rather than a walk in.

Greetings,
Mr. M. Welcome aboard. A Defever 49 PH is indeed a nice vessel BUT despite it's overall size, it's not terribly well laid out IMO. Small saloon, only 2 staterooms and more of a crawl in ER rather than a walk in.

"Only two staterooms?"

For a cruising couple with occasional guests - perfect. Ask me how I know!

Seriously, boats of around 50-55 feet with three staterooms mean that the two guest cabins have a lot of compromises. Bunks, cramped etc. We much prefer that the second cabin be substantial and have its own head. Much more enjoyable when cruising.

Thanks so much for your input! His main concerns for a 49 are dockage fees (for the several years we will be at a marina before setting off for our adventures) and really just the overall costs of maintenance. He feels the extra weight of the larger boat would be an additional fuel expense as well.

Standing on the flybridge of the 49 I was practically speechless how big it was but I am pretty confident that he (and one day I) could handle it. Parts of it really did seem (almost) too big. The pilothouse for instance could shrink by a foot and still be big enough, the salon could shrink by a couple feet but I agree that after a few years we would grow into it and I just can't seem to find anything else that is as perfect. I also really love the portugese bridge but that is a want not a need.

We haven't yet gone for a spin as we only did a first look last weekend. Due to it's condition we feel there needs to be a huge price reduction before we could be serious. If she is still around in the spring I would like to do a test drive though.

Great story about our Uniflite... when the Captain and I met, he had a 29' Ulrichson that needed a LOT of attention. While we dated we fixed up the boat and one day I asked him "how much does a boat like this cost" he said "oh, this? I got it for FREE" Me, being a bargain hunter, immediately went to Craigslist. I found a FREE Carver that needed a tremendous amount of work. I asked him to look at it and by the time he inquired it was gone and we really felt we missed out. Not to be deterred I kept searching until I found our Uniflite just a few towns away from us for $500 with one blown engine. He went immediately and as soon as he saw it told me to come take a look. Her bones were absolutely beautiful and besides replacing the engine (which he had an "extra" in the shed) she just needed a ton of sanding, new appliances, a few shelves/closets repaired, exhaust system, I think new props, toilet system... well I guess a lot of work really but the bones were great and the blisters had been taken care of by the previous owners. So no, there was almost no discussion when we got her and in order to let her go I really need to find THE boat.

Yes I totally agree 2 substantial staterooms are better. Plus the PH in the DF converts to a bed and we would have a pull out sofa. Although everyone always says "why don't you ever invite us on your boat" now, the fact is, very few ever accept an invitation. Two staterooms/heads are plenty for us.

Greetings,
Ideally the DF 49 RPH Plan B design would be my first option if I could find one in our price range on the east coast

Greetings,
Mr. m. Ever been on a 46' Cheoy Lee LRC. Master and guest have walk around queens and the v-berth is bigger than the master we had on our 34' Marine trader. Hardly a compromise. Yes, shared head with the guest and v-berth but with 2 couples the guest head becomes a personal head.

Mr. M. So, what is your price range?

Me? I guess I'm "Ms. M" I'm the Admiral, Cap is making dinner while I talk to you fine folks :)

Well, the boat we are looking at is listed at $139k. Because of severe water damage, rusted steel tanks, soft bow deck leaking to forward berth, the need for new AC/heat system and in the video we noticed the volt gauge and oil pressure gauged were pinned (Captain says bad ground so I guess electrical issues) and who knows what else a survey or sea trial will reveal we wouldn't offer more than $40k.

Because we aren't really in a rush we are really just hoping to find the right boat at the right time. If a good deal falls in our laps we want to be prepared.

For extensive cruising 2 staterooms are usually plenty. The DeFever has a berth in the pilot house as well. Watch out for the teak decks on this vintage, could be a lot of work in the future. The 83 on YW in Mass. Looks like it has the Volvo engines. No photos of the ER is a concern. It looks like it could use some work, but as you said about your current boat, if it had good bones it might be worth an offer, keeping in mind it is approaching 40 years old.

James

For extensive cruising 2 staterooms are usually plenty. The DeFever has a berth in the pilot house as well. Watch out for the teak decks on this vintage, could be a lot of work in the future. The 83 on YW in Mass. Looks like it has the Volvo engines. No photos of the ER is a concern. It looks like it could use some work, but as you said about your current boat, if it had good bones it might be worth an offer, keeping in mind it is approaching 40 years old.

James
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner! That is the boat we looked at. Yup... she needs work. The bow deck is soft and leaking, the engine room is a mess, she has water damage everywhere... BUT she makes my heart go pitter patter. IMHO she is way over priced and I don't know that many people would be willing to take on the extensive work she needs but I can't stop thinking about her.... sigh...

Also look at the 49’ CPMY......its a 44’ Sundeck with a cockpit extension.... :thumb:

Look at Ocean Alexander Mk1s 50', great layout (the plan b defever took the layout from the MK1) or the 40 Ocean Alexander Europa walk around decks, easy boarding, twin lehmas

If the captain is worried about docking costs make sure he looks at the engine fuel consumption in, well, nearly any boat available. Many of these trawlers are simply overpowered particularly ones that have been re-powered. Some of these boats on the market have bigger engines than necessary and will run at 10+gph each in a twin engine craft; consider a 49' raised pilot house with two older CAT 3208's---it could put one in the poorhouse doing the loop. I seriously doubt that fuel is going to go down in price, particularly marine grade diesel.

IIRC DeFever also designed a 46-footer that pretty much mirrored the 49?

Greetings,
Mr. M. Why not mention the advantages of YOUR vessel (CL-46). There may be one on the market soon....

Standing on the flybridge of the 49 I was practically speechless how big it was but I am pretty confident that he (and one day I) could handle it. Parts of it really did seem (almost) too big.

The 49 PH will feel big for about a week. OK, maybe two.

:)

Several here at the marina where we are in JAX just now, at least one for sale.

-Chris

Try the DF 46PH or 49 Euro...

The 46PH/49Euro is a much smaller boat with a 15' beam... we've liven on ours for 6 years and its easy to handle... brought ours from Seattle to the East Coast. I suggest you go ti the Pocta.com website, it's still operational, and look at one. There are about 25 floating around... its has everything you want... inside passageway to FB, full walk around, great ER... nice clean lines

Mr. Firefly,

Thank you, I thought about mentioning our boat but was deterred by their initial requirements of easy access to the swim platform and flybridge. Unfortunately, in our case we have ladders in the places they hope to have steps.

Otherwise, yes! :)

We have owned 23 boats and we have never complained that the boat was too big. Always wish it was a bit bigger... The cost between a 44 and a 49 will be negligible. But the cost in buying a too small boat will be huge and ongoing. Go with what you like. The fuel cost will probably not be measurable as to the difference.

More DeFever options

Ms. M - There are other venerable DeFever variations which may fit your needs, with 1000s of boats up to 60 years old out there. You could likely find a treasured DeFever woodie that needs work for a song, or even just a promise that you'll love and cherish her. Join Defever Cruisers Assoc to learn more.

I can certainly relate to your struggle. (With the captain.) When you step aboard a boat and it smacks of "just right", trying to get your mate to come around to your train of thought can be very frustrating at best. My wife & I knew exactly what we wanted for our SoCal cruising grounds and it took 3.5 years to find it! It had some warts & pimples but after a little over 4 years of ownership, all are gone! Buy the boat that really turns you on as that's where the incentive comes from to "fix her up." Best of luck to you both!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom