View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 09:57 AM   #9
Pete Meisinger
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I would be willing to bet "commodave" will chime in here soon. I believe he has a TT and is halfway through a fuel tank job on his twin engine trawler. So I will leave the fuel tank comments to him . All I know about steel tanks is that they will generally fail at around 30 years. You have not given us the age of your boat so consider this info.

As to all the other issues related to T.T.s . They all depend on previous care. Windows, pumps, electronics, toilets, plumbing, etc, etc.

Generally all Taiwan trawlers are sisters. Several basic molds, many different yards. And,again generally speaking, they are mostly good, solid reliable boats. Many or most are F.L. powered. They will go 5,000 hours before they need to be evaluated and many go 10 or 15,000 before needing work. The ones built in the 79's and 80's are usually overbuilt, many have hulls over an inch thick.

Twin engines...I prefer a single but lets not open that "can of worms" . 36 feet is minimal length as far as room for twins is concerned. Add a genny and the basement gets crowded. Again, read between the lines when "comodave" replies. His back is giving him problems and finishing his "tank job" may have to be hired out. Twin engines can limit owner ability to get a job done. Dave.. which came first? The bad back or starting a twin engine removal job?

OK, lets gat back to your boat. A T.T. which has been around for a few years. Some "deferred maintenance", we will assume the price is right, Twin F.L. with low hours..

Go For It.... (my standard answer)

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote