Sealant for Transducer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshanafelt

Vessel Name
Isobel K
Vessel Make
37' Custom Pilothouse
I will be replacing the transducer shortly.

I already know of the 'drill a hole thru the old one' and use a threaded rod to back the old one out trick.

What sealant do you use or reccommend?

thanks

I've always used 3M 4200 for transducers or thru hulls with good results. You can get the fitting out again if you have to. Just don't use 5200.

4200 is good...5200 is often recommended and there's a release agent or two that works (heats fine if the transducer is toast...Silkaflex 291 is what I'm using this go around as it's good and cheaper.

believe it or not...boatlife caulk is good enough even though most cringe when I say that. I've used it upon direction in one company I worked for and never had a problem in 10 years with it underwater (just make sure youre using the OK for underwater stuff...:D)

5200 is considered permanent...and that's why I like/use it. When I install an underwater (or deck) fitting I want to permanently keep the water out, not just a temporary seal. I'll worry about what it takes to undo the permanentness if/when the time comes.

The main difference between 5200 and 4200 is it's adhesive characteristics not the sealant quality. For transducers and thru-hulls, I've been using 4200 or the Sika 291.

5200 is considered permanent...and that's why I like/use it. When I install an underwater (or deck) fitting I want to permanently keep the water out, not just a temporary seal. I'll worry about what it takes to undo the permanentness if/when the time comes.

Consider what you want...5200 is an adhesive sealant...if you don't need an adhesive...big deal.

You don't HAVE to use an adhesive to keep water out...long before sealant/adhesives like 5200, caulk kept water out of boats just fine. :D

4200 works just fine

Originally Posted by jeffnick

5200 is a GLUE , great for sticking the deck seam to the hull on a new build.

AS a sealant it offers NO advantage but a HUGE disadvantage.

No sealant , except welding is "forever" and most sealant dies in 5-10 years.

Most of the TT deck failures and window problems come from failed . not easy to replace sealants.

Every item will eventually need to be resealed , why make it harder?

Pulled your fuel fill or water fill deck plates yet?

We are using the new for marine mastic tapes that clean off almost instantly where we can..

We found Dolphinite great as it too cleans off with ease, weather on installation or R&R.

FF

Good old Lifecaulk polysulfide.

5200 is what I always use. And I never have much trouble getting things apart after. A sharp putty knife makes easy work out of that task.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom