What happened to the Swift Trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was keen on these boats, but on sidelines, then the last two models they released don’t look like “Trawlers”. Like they redesigned them to be more sport boats.

I’m not going to make specific claims, because it’s not one thing, but I’m wondering if Swift owners agree.

What do you think if the newly redesigned Swifts?

As someone who worked their way through an ST42 and decided not to make an offer, improvement borne out of experience?

I was keen on these boats, but on sidelines, then the last two models they released don’t look like “Trawlers”. Like they redesigned them to be more sport boats.

I like the originals, but I'm impressed with the new ones.
I think they created the little 30 with a bunch of new space-saving (of space efficiency) concepts, and then pushed those concepts up to each of the larger boats.

The changes are subtle but they all seem to be improvements.

The Beneteau Swift Trawler 30 - Features by BoatTest.com

Here's a great review from Denison of the new ST35 compared to the ST34.

Denison Yachting: Beneteau 35 Swift Trawler [Walkthrough]

And Captain Steve does his typically detailed review of the new ST47.
Beneteau Swift Trawler 47 (2019-) Features Video - By BoatTEST.com

And they stole the folding helm-chair from Ranger Tugs. ;)

Nice boats. But an evolution, not revolution.

I just took delivery (last Wed 1/29) of a Swift Trawler-44 (hull #302). I assume this is one of the last ones made... as my dealer said that production of the ST-44 has in fact stopped in favor of the 41-Fly.

In my opinion, after 10+- years of production the ST-44 has matured into a nice/bullet-proof boat. The current ST-44 seems to include numerous improvements vs what Beneteau's ST-44 "owner's manual" describes (I assume they just didn't take the time/investment to update it...). I am pleased so far...

I just took delivery (last Wed 1/29) of a Swift Trawler-44 (hull #302). I assume this is one of the last ones made... as my dealer said that production of the ST-44 has in fact stopped in favor of the 41-Fly.

In my opinion, after 10+- years of production the ST-44 has matured into a nice/bullet-proof boat. The current ST-44 seems to include numerous improvements vs what Beneteau's ST-44 "owner's manual" describes (I assume they just didn't take the time/investment to update it...). I am pleased so far...

what are the improvements of a 2020 ST44 versus 2012-ish ST44?

my understanding is the factory refused to make many improvements even though there were issues found that carried through many years of production.

my thoughts are the new ones could have been better if they perhaps got the input of existing ST owners that spent significant time on the ST. i see several pain points on the new models. for example, doesn't the fly bridge stairs on the 47 look like they should be on the other side (e.g. access to the salon is tight with couch/table)? perhaps galley should have been further back near door. the layout looks awkward.

Does anyone have experience with the 2005 Swift Trawler 42? People tell me that Beneteau “has quality issues” but can never tell me what they are. Would the 2005 with twin Yanmars be considered a well built boat?

Does anyone have experience with the 2005 Swift Trawler 42? People tell me that Beneteau “has quality issues” but can never tell me what they are. Would the 2005 with twin Yanmars be considered a well built boat?
I can't answer your question as to the build quality of the 2005 Swift trawler. I can, however, comment on boarding the first edition of the 42. I loved the lines but as soon as I stepped aboard, the deck felt "soft" and this continued right through the salon. That did it for me and I turned around and left. First impressions are really impactful to me but even as I admire the lines of recent Swift Trawler, my feet continue to remind me of that initial boarding.:hide::popcorn:

I’m not going to make specific claims, because it’s not one thing, but I’m wondering if Swift owners agree.

They never looked like trawlers because they're not.

Still, I'd be very disappointed if a boat that has now reached the age of ST's didn't evolve. While reviews point out the improvements, time will decide whether they're better or not. I would hope they've eliminated some issues without bringing others in. They're not a perfect boat but sure the most successful of their type and fill a niche that is otherwise not covered well.

...but as soon as I stepped aboard, the deck felt "soft" and this continued right through the salon. That did it for me and I turned around and left. First impressions are really impactful to me but even as I admire the lines of recent Swift Trawler, my feet continue to remind me of that initial boarding.:hide::popcorn:

The big hatches in the cockpit are sat on rubber seals.

I own a MY 2019 ST44: do you think there's something new/improved on 2020 models? Can you tell usa more?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom