Hello Wonderful Forum - question about 'trawler schools'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Savo

Long time reader, first time posting here...
Jeff & Trish here.

Thank you all for a very useful forum. This has been our go-to site as we gather info for our Great Loop adventure. We are a couple in our 50's who live in Charlotte, NC and are planning to get a 'starter' trawler for a few years before taking off on the big trip.

Question: anyone have experience with 'trawler schools' in the southeast - probably Florida ? Some of the few I have looked into have very dated websites (reviews, calendars, info) and / or questionable reviews.

Seeking referrals on chartering for a few days to experience living aboard and trawler basics. We've been mates on bareboat catamaran's and have been sailing, but haven't engaged directly as if we were learning to captain.

Thanks again for the welcoming and useful forum!!
Jeff

Last edited:
My wife and I have completed training at US Powerboat through a local boat org, Club Natique. Not cheap but learned through testing and practical training. They have multiple classes, basic power boating, intermediate, night navigation, coastal cruising etc. each class was 32 hours of class and hands on. Big focus on safety.

Not sure if you have anything like this in your area but may find something via a boat club.

Jim

My wife and I have completed training at US Powerboat through a local boat org, Club Natique. Not cheap but learned through testing and practical training. They have multiple classes, basic power boating, intermediate, night navigation, coastal cruising etc. each class was 32 hours of class and hands on. Big focus on safety.

Not sure if you have anything like this in your area but may find something via a boat club.

Jim

Please define "Not Cheap"? Thanks.

We getting back into trawlers after a many year hiatus. We previous Power Squadron, USCG Auxiliary, etc, but will be looking to brush up.

Welcome aboard. I think that Southwest Florida Yachts has some on the water training available. No experience with them so I can’t make a good or bad recommendation.

We are in the Charlotte area too, and didn't have luck finding local resources.

In a very similar situation, trying to get some experience, so we have elected to take a few days this January with "Trawler School Charters" out of Dania, FL. We go at the end of the month, so I will happily report back our findings and give an update.

Captain Bob's concept of actively engaging you in the captaining of the trawler right away appeals to me and I'm hopeful that we will climb a sharp learning curve and gain the experience to do a "bare boat" charter next out of something like Southwest Florida or maybe try to find something closer to home in coastal NC.

If you are asking about Trawler School Charters (Trawler School Charters - Hands on Trawler Handling Course in the Florida Keys) and Captain Bob then my wife and I did his 3-day/4-night charter last year.

I will start by saying that we enjoyed it, feel like we learned some things, and feel like it was well worth the cost. I also have to add that the food that Captain Bob provided was truly first rate. So, in general, I would recommend it.

On the other hand, I have to say that Captain Bob has what might best be described as a "bombastic" personality. He is absolutely NOT the shy and retiring type! I can definitely see how his personality might rub some people very much the wrong way. So, maybe weigh how you respond to strong personalities when considering his course.

Good luck.

Jeff and Trish,
Welcome to the Forum. I don't know if you are interested in combining training and gaining experience with a vacation, but if that could work, check out NW Explorations based out of Bellingham (Wa.) and Sydney, BC. They offer 3 day skippered training and also some fairly long guided floatillas on Grand Banks yachts going to places like Princess Louisa Inlet, Desolation Sound, or for the more adventurous, Alaska. I have not used this service, (so no first hand knowledge), but I have run into them several times on our travels. The floatilla leaders seem very knowledgeable, helpful, and assist participants as much as the participant needs. Contact them to get details if interested.

[/Quote]

On the other hand, I have to say that Captain Bob has what might best be described as a "bombastic" personality. He is absolutely NOT the shy and retiring type! I can definitely see how his personality might rub some people very much the wrong way. So, maybe weigh how you respond to strong personalities when considering his course.

Good luck.[/QUOTE]

Wise words to anybody looking for info on anything on TF !! :) :)
We are not exactly shy about our ideas and opinions..... :hide:

Jeff and Trish,
Welcome to the Forum. I don't know if you are interested in combining training and gaining experience with a vacation, but if that could work, check out NW Explorations based out of Bellingham (Wa.) and Sydney, BC. They offer 3 day skippered training and also some fairly long guided floatillas on Grand Banks yachts going to places like Princess Louisa Inlet, Desolation Sound, or for the more adventurous, Alaska. I have not used this service, (so no first hand knowledge), but I have run into them several times on our travels. The floatilla leaders seem very knowledgeable, helpful, and assist participants as much as the participant needs. Contact them to get details if interested.

+1 for NWX for all of the above.

Please define "Not Cheap"? Thanks.

We getting back into trawlers after a many year hiatus. We previous Power Squadron, USCG Auxiliary, etc, but will be looking to brush up.

$ 2,000-$3,500 but give significant discounts.

make sure you do a thorough search/research of different schools and charters.

while many have great experiences, some reports are not so positive.

but this is also true in many areas of life....so as usual look for the too good to be true both facts and opinions...

here is one I remember garnering a lot of interest on forums awhile back...

https://trawlerschoolchartersdaniab.../06/captain-bob-uses-his-contract-one-he.html

We are in the Charlotte area too, and didn't have luck finding local resources.

In a very similar situation, trying to get some experience, so we have elected to take a few days this January with "Trawler School Charters" out of Dania, FL. We go at the end of the month, so I will happily report back our findings and give an update.

Captain Bob's concept of actively engaging you in the captaining of the trawler right away appeals to me and I'm hopeful that we will climb a sharp learning curve and gain the experience to do a "bare boat" charter next out of something like Southwest Florida or maybe try to find something closer to home in coastal NC.
Thank you, and yes - please share your review.
I have seen several posts on the school you have chosen - some 'great' and some 'guarded'.

+1 for NWX for all of the above.
Sounds like a great idea and one that I will add to our notes - we have several years before completely taking off, so this may be one of our 'working vacations' in advance. Thank you !

Go take all of the classes you can at the Power Squadron, and USCG Auxiliary.
Then find a boat that fits your needs, and remember you and your wife will never agree on the right boat. If you do there must be something wrong with it :)

200.webp

Was that per person, or for a couple? And what does it include? Thanks.

Per person, but I recall we received 1/2 off for both signing up and immediately signing up for the next class. They have done a nice job, plus you can rent different boats, practice and find out what you like.

Per person, but I recall we received 1/2 off for both signing up and immediately signing up for the next class. They have done a nice job, plus you can rent different boats, practice and find out what you like.
Okay, thanks for the in Jim!

I’ll jump in as the third Charlottean on this thread.
I’m not an expert in anything but happy to share my experiences if of value to you. We’re in our early 60’s; Wife and I still work full time; have owned various sail and power boats on lakes and oceans for many decades. Two years ago we bought a trawler to use along the SE coast for a few years until we retire or at least go part time. Then hope to cruise much further.
I’m unsure if you’re looking for exposure to trawlers uniquely or trying to increase sea time and improve general nautical knowledge and boat handling before purchasing the boat. Some of the suggestions will increase general boating knowledge but are not trawler specific.
In fact I don’t believe you need a lot of trawler specific training up front. Compared to other vessels they are slow, safe, and easy to operate and handle. Slow single engine full displacement vessels like ours have their own quirks, but I wouldn’t prioritize getting those skills up front.
Piloting, navigating, maintenance and managing what nature throws at you are not trawler specific.

If you wish to share thoughts feel free to contact me. I’m in Charlotte mostlyMonday-Thursday and we can have a meet-up here. We base the boat in Charleston, so if you visit there you can come by and check out a trawler. The boat will move south mid Feb to mid May.

Just PM to share a contact.

Last edited:
Welcome. Chapman School of Seamanship in Stuart FL has a very reputable training program and will even teach you on your own boat.

You should get some basic training before you buy. A charter with training would be ideal. However, the best thing that you can do after you find the right boat is to hire a professional captain with a good reputation for training to take a cruise with you on your new boat. The captain will teach you about the systems on your boat. He or she will show you how your boat handles in various conditions and then turn the helm over to you. I have been boating since I was a child. Each boat got bigger. When I boat my 52' Californian I brought a professional captain with me to bring it home to Melbourne, FL from Ft. Lauderdale, FL. It was the best thing I ever did. My hydraulic steering went out when we reached Palm Beach. I thought the captain was teasing to teach me a lesson but he wasn't. I may have panicked without him. He reminded me that all I needed to do was steer with the engines. It is what you will do when docking so my tight quarters skills kicked in. He also taught me plenty about the systems on board, passing in tight quarters with a bigger boat, etiquette, etc. It was worth every penny. There are plenty of good captains looking for work in South FL, especially during the summer months.

Jeff and Trish,

In 2008/2009, we took 3 classes at Southwest Florida Yachts: Powerboating 101, 102, and 103. We took 101 and 102 back-to-back (total 6 days) and 103 (another six days) about a year later. Captain Chris Day was our instructor. Outstanding experience.

We chartered an American Tug 34 for the first two classes. Gave us single-screw skills. For the offshore course (103), we chartered a twin-screw Grand Banks 42. Hands-on, fairly intense learning (we were power boating newbies back then). Coursework was well laid out with syllabus, homework assignments, reviews with honest feedback. Capt Chris Day was superb.

SWFY took the training very seriously and delivered the goods. By the end of training, both my wife and I had the knowledge, skills and abilities to cruise safely and enjoy the journey. We were also confident that we knew what we were getting into.

We subsequently bought Avocet, retired, and cruised full-time for 15,000+ miles over three-and-a-half years. We credit the training we received at SWFY with giving us a solid foundation for success.

Trawler School Charters Dania Beach

My wife and I (coincidentally, we are also from NC) took Captain Bob's course about 4 years ago. We loved it and learned a lot. Best things we learned had to do with selecting and buying a trawler. It also gave us a glimpse into the live-aboard life. Beyond learning different aspects of trawler life, we had a great time. Bob kept it light and enjoyable. If you want a stuffy button-down course, go somewhere else. If you want to learn a lot and have several fun days on the water, go to Trawler School in Dania beach.
Since that course, we bought a trawler, have done the Great Loop, been to the Bahamas twice and to the Keys.

Looked into several a few years ago before we bought. I looked at quite a few. After reading the reviews, I decided against it. Last thing I need is to give some "colorful" rude jackass a lot of money to make me pissed off and sour my wife on the idea. Be very careful before you choose a "school". Do a lot of research and get references.

TRAWLER SCHOOL?? do like i did, and get on a salmon seiner for abt 20 yrs, fish in south east, and kodiak alaska, etc...quick way to learn everything!!...clyde

Best money I ever spent (after spending time and $$ over several years with USCG classes and classes at Trawler Tests) was with SeaSense. Located in SW Florida, they have a # of options for learning, including coming aboard your own boat for agreed upon length of time and teaching you specifically to YOUR boat. I flew to FL and lived aboard their trawler with 3 others for a week. Learned to do everything, including charting, weather, oil checking and on and on. Prices are reasonable and competitive. Instructions was over the top. We went on to purchase 50' trawler and spent 6 years successfully cruising full time from Canada throughout the Caribbean. Check them out: Trawler Training – Sea Sense… The Sailing & Power Boating School

Back
Top Bottom