Bug Repellent while cruising

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, Thermacell looks like a good choice, but a little research confuses. Are they all fuel-powered, or is there a battery or corded version? How about the repellent refills; how does one handle that?

I've used a ThermaCELL with decent results. No smoke.

I'm "the guy" in any group that gets eaten by bugs. I'm fairly exothermic.

Same here. Therzmcell even works on Maryland black flies. Quiet, order free, effective.

I anchor out a fair amount when cruising and often find buggy anchorages. Wondering if anyone has a good technique for keeping the bugs away. I personally don't like to coat myself in bug repellent and was looking for something more like a citronella candle or another form of repellent to keep an upper deck area bug free for cocktail hour or grill time. Any thoughts?

Ted
Living up in Canada we decided to bite the bullet when we bought Cartouche and invested 17k in a full enclosure with screens, we love it and never close the sliding door and lots of fresh air with the screens, we then carpeted the whole Bridge deck and aft deck, Our Canvas guy (who we have used for 25years) is a genius and designed the whole thing. When it rains at a dock however suddenly we have new friends. It has added some windage but is not unmanageable. Truly money well spent up here, in Spring and fall adds warmth to the outside..

'Lo All, Once, when my wife and I were anchored out on the now-destroyed Celestial, I was attacked by a swarm of black flies. We tried everything - including Deet and insect spray (killed hundreds, but there were thousands more). There was a very light breeze, so the black flies were on the lee surfaces and recessed areas of the upper helm, turning the white hull black. I always wear black socks, my wife wears white socks - she wasn't being bitten, I was being eaten alive, but only my feet. She got me a pair of white socks and the black flies left me alone - even though there were still thousands on the white fiberglass.

Living up in Canada we decided to bite the bullet when we bought Cartouche and invested 17k in a full enclosure with screens, we love it and never close the sliding door and lots of fresh air with the screens, we then carpeted the whole Bridge deck and aft deck, Our Canvas guy (who we have used for 25years) is a genius and designed the whole thing. When it rains at a dock however suddenly we have new friends. It has added some windage but is not unmanageable. Truly money well spent up here, in Spring and fall adds warmth to the outside..
That looks like a good solution, but an enclosure really isn't an option for me. The upper deck is where the dinghy is and I'm not prepared to increase my air draft which now is 15' with the antenna and light mast down.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom