Nav lights for small RIB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsn48

Guru
Vessel Name
Capricorn
Vessel Make
Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
In the old days there were lots of nav lights designed for temporary placement run off of D cell batteries. And I have searched for this style of lighting to no avail.

Ideally I'd like something like the LED light linked, but able to be run on one or two D cell batteries.

https://www.marinesuperstore.com/li...unR-1fK4kcQfMLjss1VN5MUaMtqxyYxBoCJ4kQAvD_BwE

And how do you attach the nav light to the dinghy? My rib is very similar to a Highfield 9 1/2 foot with bow locker. Very much like the pic below but sadly without the female:

https://www.highfieldboats.com/classic-290-2/

What do you use?

Clamp the white to the motor tiller. For my thin, took the clamp off thg he side lights and screwed it to a piece of webbing that gets secured to the bow with plastic buckles.

Attwood 14191-7 Clamp-On Portable Marine Boat Navigation Light Kit, Camouflage

Attachments

• 71kJXas8k8L._SL1500_.jpg
    71kJXas8k8L._SL1500_.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Most states and the USCG require red and green lights on the bow and an all around white light visible from all directions, although I don't think anyone is going to cite you if you have a flashlight held by someone in the bow pointing forward.

Here is a page of battery powered led lights that meets the strict regulations- https://www.amazon.com/s?k=dinghy+navigation+lights&crid=1XGUBACOU9D67&sprefix=dinghy+nav%2Caps%2C194&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_10

Attwood has both suction cup and clamp on mounting styles.

David

They are out there. Some on Amazon, at Defender, and a couple other sites. Suction cups don't stay put. Some have a C clamp built in. For an inflatable, I would attach a 6" × 6" square of the loops of velcro to the bow. Would attach the equivalent size of the hooks to the navigation light. Add a lanyard to the light that attaches to the boat.

While technically a dinghy capable of traveling over 7 knots needs a combination bow light, I would be more focused on a really bright all around white light that might show objects in the water ahead of you. My dink won't have a bow light as I don't travel faster than 7 knots in the dark. But you will see the white light miles away. :)

Ted

We just swapped our old Rendova for a newer used AB aluminum with a Euro helm. This base was installed and Guyer Boatworks in Bellingham fitted out the remaining kit. Haven’t used these yet but seems to be very high quality.

https://www.amazon.com/NAVISAFE-Nav...keywords=dinghy+lights&qid=1578182577&sr=8-16

I saw that set, looks really nice and a lot higher end than the one I linked. Reality for me is I used the lights twice the entire last year. If I was cruising full time I’d for sure go for the nicer setup.

Navisafe

I think I've tried about everything on the market over the years and was never satisfied until I broke down and spent the money on the Navisafe lights. So many of the bullet shaped lights leaked water, stopped working in general, sank and never really had a good solid mounting system. When we lived aboard we very rarely stayed at marinas, so the dink got used a lot. And it got used a lot at night. With Navisafe I felt like we had a whole lot better chance at being seen because the lights are really bright and I never had one fail. I had them on a West Marine 310RIB....

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/nvi769...xERIABLrmbvGN96Q8cpfj6UE7Y0KuPmhoCJ0cQAvD_BwE

I would like to order the Navisafe package. How do you attach the bow light, that is the item with the most problems for attachment?

I would like to order the Navisafe package. How do you attach the bow light, that is the item with the most problems for attachment?
Mine has a glued on mount that holds the light.

Mine has a glued on mount that holds the light.

Yep, you glue on the mount that accepts the bow light. Keep in mind that the kits do not include the adhesive. The stern light has a mount that is screwed to the transom. Nice thing is both lights are easily removed from their mounts. No need to expose them to UV exposure 24-7. The stern light at night I use as a quasi flashlight to unlock the dink and get organized before we take off for the boat. Then I just slip it back in the mount and we're good to go...

I have had poor results with navisafe lights. I have had multiple failures although they did warranty two of the lights . i gave all my navisafe lights away and am trying something new

I like these so far. But have not had them long enough to know about the reliably

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-01-05-04-57-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2020-01-05-04-57-04.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 84
Another vote for Navisafe. No problems with them and it felt like they were brighter than the lights on the big (well, bigger) boat.

I just use an all around white light led flashlight on a stick in a fish rod holder on the transom.
The stick has an orientation groove in it and I painted the forward section of the lens red and green.
not 100% by the book but it works and it's simple.

Unless someone changed official regulations, all it needs is one all around white light.
Now, that being said, the size of the white light has not been addressed so buy a really really BIG all around white light, if you wish and if you want to destroy your own night vision. (sarcasm)

Thank RNS but I was thinking along the lines of the 12ft RIB.

International Rules, Rule 23 d) section ii:

a power-driven vessel of less than 7 meters in length whose maximum speed does not exceed 7 knots may in lieu of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule exhibit an all-round white light and shall, if practicable, also exhibit sidelights;

Hasn't changed in 20 years (I think much longer)...rule 23 for Inland - standard lights for a power vessel...(sidelights and all around).

Rule 23 - International allows an all around white only but for vessels under 7 meters, not capable of exceeding 7 knots.

Hasn't changed in 20 years (I think much longer)...rule 23 for Inland - standard lights for a power vessel...(sidelights and all around).

Rule 23 - International allows an all around white only but for vessels under 7 meters, not capable of exceeding 7 knots.

This is true.

I know because I got a $90 ticket for this in Manatee Pocket on Thanksgiving night. We also weren't all wearing our inflatable PFDs, so I deserved it.

Though the officer, who was very nice and professional, said if I'd had just an all round white or a flashlight pointed straight up he would have let me get away with it since we were going slow even though my dinghy is quite capable of exceeding 7 knots.

Last edited:
So I checked again, this copy and paste is taken from the boating course available in Canada:

"Required Navigation Lights for Manually Powered Boats

Manually powered boats are those that are paddled or rowed.

If possible, these boats should carry the same lights required for sailboats that are the same length (Rule 25).

If not possible, these boats must have on hand at least one lighted lantern, flashlight, or electric torch shining a white light as shown above to meet the navigation lights requirement (Rule 25).

A watertight flashlight meets the navigation lights requirement for non-powered boats that are 7 metres (22.9 feet) or less in length.

To prevent a collision, pleasure craft operators should never leave shore without a watertight flashlight. Even if you plan to return before dark, unforeseen developments might delay your return past nightfall."

Since my dinghy with a 9.9 Merc is a power boat, I have to conform to power boat rules and regs.

While technically a dinghy capable of traveling over 7 knots needs a combination bow light, I would be more focused on a really bright all around white light that might show objects in the water ahead of you. My dink won't have a bow light as I don't travel faster than 7 knots in the dark. But you will see the white light miles away. :) Ted

Technically, that's the international rule (23). The inland Rule 23 requires power-driven vessels (of any speed) to exhibit an all-around light and sidelights.

DSC03329-Edit-2.jpg

I've used the NaviSafe lights for 2 seasons now in the PNW and have had no issues with them. I even wrote about them here. I have a Highfield 310 that they're mounted on.

I have had comments from several people, and emails from more people, that the first generation of these lights were really unreliable. In particular, the seals let water in and destroyed the batteries / light.

I've also heard from folks in more tropical climates that they don't last as long due to the UV exposure.

I don't leave mine mounted on the boat all the time. When I'm not using them for any extended period, they come off and are stored in a bag under the seat. Perhaps they wouldn't last as long if they were left on 24x7 - not sure.

So far, I've been very happy with them given that you can change their light patterns/config easily, and they are easy to see while on the water.

My experience is that as long as you have a decent light on and visible you are alright, this is acceptable in our home port and hence has been so in other locales.

We like this tri-color LED light. Attaches to a magnetic plate that straps across the top of the outboard. Batteries last forever.

https://store.marinebeam.com/navisafe-portable-led-tricolor-light-for-dinghy-or-kayak/

A couple of the guys at my marina got those last year and that's what motivated me to color my LED white dome flashlight in the same manner.

Where I normally boat I have never seen a LEO after dark unless there's a fireworks display. And then they are too busy chasing drunks.
A dinghy that actually has a light is a rarity.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom