• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Nordic Tugs 32, 1998

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

garycasey

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Emerald Isle
Vessel Make
Nordic Tugs 32
Total time on Cummins 5.9 engine is 1550 hours. This is a well-maintained NT located in Holland, MI and is now, as it always has been, being stored in a heated barn. This is an ideal, affordable boat for a couple looking to do the loop. With considerable tweaking done to the bottom and rudder, the real cruise speed is 7.8 kts at a fuel burn of 1.9 gallons per hour. This give an absolute range of over 800 miles. It is equipped with the usual chart plotter and autopilot with GPS tracking. Numerous detail modifications and improvements have been made enhance the overall cruising experience. With the passing of my wife I'm no longer in a position to do extended cruising. Priced at $124,900

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 717
  • North Channel.jpg
    North Channel.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 635
I like the Nordic, has it always been in fresh water? Post some more pictures would give folks and idea of the layout and condition. Good luck with the sale. Seems to be a reasonable priced .

So sorry for the loss of your cruising partner, and wish you a speedy sale so you may move on to whatever adventure awaits you.

Looks nice,
Can you send me more information & Pictures ?
When will it be available to be seen after first of year ?
Thanks

Hmmm, removed the stack ..... Makes for an interesting profile.

One selling feature...most NT32's have three windows per side in the saloon vs two on this boat.
The same is true with most NT42's. When we purchased Blue Sky (NT42 #1) which has just the two windows per side we didn't think about it much, but after being on other NT's with three windows per side, I realized just how much extra wall space we had for mug racks etc. including a hanging locker in the port aft corner.

Our 32 also has only 2 window per side in the saloon and a hanging locker at the aft starboard.

And we like the fake stack, that's where the plan on installing the air compressor and tank for air horns.

Total time on Cummins 5.9 engine is 1550 hours. This is a well-maintained NT located in Holland, MI and is now, as it always has been, being stored in a heated barn. This is an ideal, affordable boat for a couple looking to do the loop. With considerable tweaking done to the bottom and rudder, the real cruise speed is 7.8 kts at a fuel burn of 1.9 gallons per hour. This give an absolute range of over 800 miles. It is equipped with the usual chart plotter and autopilot with GPS tracking. Numerous detail modifications and improvements have been made enhance the overall cruising experience. With the passing of my wife I'm no longer in a position to do extended cruising. Priced at $124,900

Sent you a PM

I removed the stack to have room to store the dinghy on the upper deck. Amazing how much extras space there is up there without the stack. Makes for a great gathering spot for sundowners! The stack comes with the boat, so it can be had with or without. And another post from Captain Ron correctly identified the listing, which includes many pictures. As far as I know, it has always been in fresh water. At least I can't find a trace of the typical saltwater corrosion issues. And, yes, it can be seen any time up until perhaps the 10th of January when I go south for a few weeks. Even then, refer to the listing and the listing broker can show it.

Attachments

• IMG_1016_zps79a0851a.jpg
    IMG_1016_zps79a0851a.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
My stack is in my shed...

It holds several old fenders effectively.

These boats wold be perfect...except for the damned sleeping berth. We want an island queen.

These boats wold be perfect...except for the damned sleeping berth. We want an island queen.
Yes, there is never enough space on a boat. The earlier ones, I believe, had a V-berth and I like those better. On the other boat we slept "head first" and that made it really easy to get in and out. Then the later ones had a center berth, but then the length of the berth is compromised as is the space for the head. As they say, you pays your money and takes your choice. For us, this configuration worked fine. I always figure there is nothing wrong with a boat that couldn't be fixed by making it bigger.

For enough money, you can have a walk around island berth. It is yours and lady decision. Is the money worth all the snuggling and body heat ETC? WINK

My wife wanted to draw up some plans to make ours a center berth before we made our first voyage. Luckily I put it off and after a few nights sleep she changed her mind and now she really likes this setup. And I couldn't agree more, mostly because I didn't need the extra project.

Curious about the missing stack. On my 2002 Nordic Tug 32 the hollow stack provides the headroom to go between the pilot house and salon

Adagio43- Regarding the stack and the headroom: I believe the earlier models (maybe prior to 2002?) Had the steps to thr PH along the portside while yours are closer to centerline? On mine the stack is a bolt on and there is no cut out in the PH roof for the extra headroom.

Yes, on the later models the companionway to the pilot house is in the center and the roof is cut away to provide more headroom. That has its pros and cons. The headroom is certainly a good thing, but the pilothouse seat is then cut in two. I like the long seat that holds three or one taking a nap. And that makes removing the stack not practical.

What is the top speed of your NT32? Just wondering for following seas. It’s nice to be able to keep up with the waves, or at least that is how I have dealt with it in the past.

It’s too bad that you aren’t looking to sell it in 3-5 years from now.
I like the larger seat in the pilot house as an extra place to have someone occasionally sleep.

NT32 top speed

The top speed of the NT32 with the Cummins 210-hp is about 16kts (at 2600 rpm, full throttle). My normal cruise speed is at 1300 rpm, 1.8GPH, and 7.9 kts. I have heard of people cruising them at 2200 rpm, which gives about 12kts, I think. Even though I don't use the horsepower continuously, I like having the "overpowered" engine. My normal cruise is at a low and very quiet rpm and the bigger than "normal" engine requires a fairly large diameter 4-blade prop giving very good acceleration and efficiency. Yes, the engine provides the option, which I have used a few times to blast through an inlet ahead a wave crest. And I'll admit it is fun going with following seas - a quick blast of power will start surfing down a crest. I'm not sure I'd be satisfied with a normal 90 hp. The boat is available for viewing any time. Also, I can deliver it to pretty much any location in the eastern half of the US.

Hello Gary! You have a beautiful vessel. Thanks for sharing, what did you do to tweak this boat? Is it common to do these modifications? Would this jeopardize the integrity of the ship? Would a surveyor comment on these when you go to sell this boat?

I am a life long boater from Milwaukee and have found a deep interest in the Nordic tug. Currently in a 40 SeaRay SunDancer and looking for something like this to give me the range I need.

Thanks for any of these answers in advance!

Thanks, Al (I assume), for your questions. Most of the modifications I've done would not, think, be considered common. I'm sure nothing I've done would affect the structural integrity of the boat. Many of the changes affect the efficiency, which is measurably higher than original. I've had brokers take a look, but would they have the same reaction as a surveyor? I think so, but maybe not. Some changes seem to be viewed without a reaction, some are viewed as "really good" and some seem to be viewed with polite skepticism. The bow thruster ports have been faired in with a bit of a flare ahead of the port. I think this is a significant improvement in drag and nobody that isn't looking for it would even notice. Certainly not negative. The next big change was to add a "cuff" to the rudder. This is a stainless sleeve that converts it from a flat slab to an airfoil (hydrofoil?) shape. This gives measurably more efficiency as well as a noticeable improvement in low speed turning capability. Big project, but worth it. The hull just forward of the propeller was faired in with a lot of glass-filled bondo. This must have helped, but I don't know how much. Finally, the hull was cleaned and the bottom protected with two coats of epoxy and then 2 coats of VC-17 bottom paint, usually used for sailboats. The bottom is noticeably smoother that others. The net result of these mods is perhaps as much as .5 knots more speed with a slight reduction in fuel flow. My long-range cruise speed is 7.9kts with a fuel flow of 1.8GPH. I am very satisfied with these modifications and I think they will only add to the market value.
The most significant other changes involve the electrical system. It previously was modified to include a large 4-battery house pack that was only connected to an added 2,000 Watt inverter. I added a wire to this to connect it to the #1 terminal of the main selector switch. The original #1 battery is disconnected. The #2 battery is now also connected directly to the engine control panel. A combiner connects the batteries when either is being charged. Operationally, it is much simpler. The engine operation is just like a car - turn the key and start it. It runs without any manipulation of any switches. So for cruising I just leave the master switch in the #1 position. Works great. A surveyor might look askance at this, as there is no way to disconnect the #2 battery from the engine, thruster or windlass (although each has a breaker or fuse). If a buyer wants it done the old fashioned way It is easy to revert the wiring to the way it was. Another mod was to eliminate the run solenoid. The Cummins engine with the CAV pump normally has a solenoid valve that is activated while running. A failure of this valve or anything electrical will stop the engine and prevent it from starting. Not good. I removed the solenoid and added a stop cable. You pull a knob to stop the engine, and then engine will continue to run as long as it has fuel. The parts are there to convert it back. Then there are lots of mods with little things like cabinet latches, curtains, etc. And now I can't think of anything to improve.

It sounds to me like you have made some smart changes. Good luck with your sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom