Old 12-21-2019, 12:54 PM   #16
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
So, let me ask...

As it is known that Earth experiences magnetic field reversals [evidentially in from 100K to 50M year intervals]... is there any way to predict [with any sort of accuracy] peturbance experienced/manifested on planet surface and planet core during and soon [in 1 to 100 years] thereafter the reversal?

And, seeing as the article mentions - "... recent weakening of Earth’s magnetic north pole on the order of 10 to 15%.": Is that a normally experienced fluctuation?. What is the predicted %age of weakening that may induce Earth's magnetic field reversal?

Quote from article linked on first post:

"In geologic record there is a large range in time between magnetic field reversals from every 100,000 years to every 50 million years. Given that and the difficulty in measuring the activity within Earth’s outer core means it’s nearly impossible to predict a magnetic field reversal in advance. However, we have seen a recent weakening of Earth’s magnetic north pole on the order of 10 to 15%."
In addition to questions I ask in my post #13 quote above...

Does - "... recent weakening of Earth’s magnetic north pole on the order of 10 to 15%." - Mean there has been equivalent recent strengthening on south pole magnetic field? Or, is there potential for Earth's magnetic field[s] in general to loose and/or regain magnetism as millenium go on?
Art is online now   Reply With Quote