• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

Trawler wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newtrawlerowner

Vessel Name
PartnerShip II
Vessel Make
2003 Mainship 400
Ready to purchase 39-42 ft trawler. Have specific models in mind, but I'm open to all. Located in Florida but can travel.

Might want to flesh out your desires a little and price range. Are you looking for wood, fiberglass, steel, or aluminum? Is turn key important or a project boat?

Ted

Letting everyone know the specific models you have in mind will at least give everyone an idea of what you are looking for. Way too vague for comment with so few details.

At least he didn't say, 40' boat wanted :blush:

Greetings,
If you click on his name you can see his previous posts where he gives a bit of an outline as to what he's looking for and his budget. Still, no harm in him repeating same.

Ready to purchase 39-42 ft trawler. Have specific models in mind, but I'm open to all. Located in Florida but can travel.

Based upon past and current discussion, WE cannot agree on the definition of a trawler. :dance:

I suggest you give us your definition and we will discuss your needs, wants and desires.
There are no doubt many opportunities for you in Florida.
May I suggest you begin with investigating the America Tug. (Me and finance company own a AT34, now called an AT36.)
ATs go all the way up to 49ft. In reality, it's a 46ft plus a swim platform.

Last edited:
Might want to flesh out your desires a little and price range. Are you looking for wood, fiberglass, steel, or aluminum? Is turn key important or a project boat?

Ted

Here is a better description of Trawler Wanted

Looking for 39-42 foot displacement fiberglass hull, single diesel engine. Single head, generator, well maintained, dinghy with motor, turn key preferred.

I would think a 39-42 would have 2 staterooms and 2 heads.
Of course if the 39-42 includes a swim platform, it's a new ballgame.

The Krogen 39,42, Nordhavn 40, Selene 40,42, Willard 40, Diesel Duck xx, and a few other one offs are the only trawlers I know of that meet all of your criteria. The displacement hull spec is the one that limits selection to this list.

There are a hundred other models that meet the other specs.

Don't be too concerned about the displacement hull spec. Some of the most popular and long lived trawlers such as the Grand Banks 42 are semi-displacement hulls. This is even when they don't have enough horsepower to push the boat much beyond displacement speed.

Displacement hull means efficiency, maybe 50% better than semi displacement hulls at slow speeds, stability particularly if ballasted, but it also means rolling. Semi-displacement hulls roll less at moderate sea states such as cruising in coastal waters.

So don't make too big a deal about semi or displacement hull types in your search.

Finally at least in the 39-42' size I wouldn't care much weather it was a single or twin. Twins fit in decently in a 42', 14+' beam hull. Not so much in smaller hulls.

David

Last edited:
The Krogen 39,42, Nordhavn 40, Selene 40,42, Willard 40, Diesel Duck xx, and a few other one offs are the only trawlers I know of that meet all of your criteria. The displacement hull spec is the one that limits selection to this list.

Diesel Ducks are mostly steel, a few in wood, a few in aluminum. And they do not have an aft deck for fishing. The "Coot" 38 is an interesting boat - a frequent poster on this forum has one I believe.

That said, I agree 100% with David's sentiment that the displacement-criteria greatly limits the options which, depending on how you plan to use the boat may result in passing-over 100's of suitable boats.

Diesel Ducks are mostly steel, a few in wood, a few in aluminum. And they do not have an aft deck for fishing. The "Coot" 38 is an interesting boat - a frequent poster on this forum has one I believe.

That said, I agree 100% with David's sentiment that the displacement-criteria greatly limits the options which, depending on how you plan to use the boat may result in passing-over 100's of suitable boats.

Thanks for the information.

Budget will also narrow the options. Based on your criteria, especially the single engine/stateroom/head I'd agree with DavidM - a used Kadey Krogen 39 would fit the bill for around $300K.

You can get into a KK42 in great condition for under $225K (more if you want one of the later models with a solid FRP hull).

You can go up in price points from there.

We just went through this ourselves and budget was by far the most limiting factor. Plenty of boats met our list of needs and wants but an N47/55/62/63/etc or a Selene just weren't within our our budget.

Still, we found our boat. Sharing your budget range with the community might help focus the discussion further. For us, we wanted to be under $400K all in. We bought well below that which leaves room to refit and update the way we want.

Last edited:
If budget is a concern, there is a very nice Willard 40 in Daytona.

Adjustments.JPG

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1981/willard-marine-40-trawler-3578834/

There are a couple of Tollycraft 44 CPMY for sale that may meet your needs. Great boat for FL and Bahamas.

Why do such posts appear? Seems to me that almost everything is listed on yacht world.

Gordon

Check out the 52' Californian. It is a 45' Californian with a cockpit added. I love the cockpit! It is a two stateroom boat with a galley down. The master S.R. has a tub shower combo. The forward S.R. has a shower. I bought my Californian in 2002. When I did I replaced both engines and transmissions. I replaced the heads in 2013 with Raritan Marine Elegance porcelain heads with touch control and switching between fresh and salt water. I was looking for a "trawler" at the time. When I saw this boat, its interior, lower helm, galley and the Stidd chairs on the huge flying bridge I was sold. When I need to go fast to outrun a storm I have the hp to do it. Twin 6V92 DD with less than 500 original hours. Why look at a Californian? If you like what you see come up to Cocoa to check my boat out. I am ready to sell it. I have been too busy to use it as much as I would like to and want a bigger boat now that my children have grown up and want to bring their families along. I need at least three S.R.s. Four would be ideal. In my line of work I know what boats are worth and it will not be overpriced when I do sell it. Delray is a short distance from here and you will love the area. I moved here from south FL in 1994. I spend a lot of time down there for business. I hate the traffic once I reach PGA Blvd!

I am thinking of selling our GB 36 Classic tri-cabin. 2001 model and one of the last ones built. 2500 hrs on her single 225hp John Deere engine. Boat is in great shape and has many recent upgrades a new fully enclosed bimini, bright work redone, tender and motor with electric start, hauled out and hull soda blasted and repainted). If any interest email me at robtheriault55@yahoo.com for pic's and full specs. She's currently in Sidney BC Canada.

Mainship 390 soon available

We have a 2002 Mainship 390, single engine Yanmar with bow thruster which will become available in the Norfolk area around April/May. This is in excellent condition and would be available on a walk on walk off basis. The boat is currently wintering in Destin Florida - Band Wagon 3. We are doing the loop but have returned home to Australia for summer and will be back in Destin 28 Feb. I'd be happy to send some photos and call you if you are interested.
Martin Jones

I’ve read your requirements. I’ll just throw out a suggestion. I have a GB 36 Classic. It’s got the room of many 39’ boats and it’s cheaper to berth, cheaper to have cleaned, cheaper to bottom paint, cheaper to insure and on and on. While two heads are somewhat more maintenance, the comfort of having two is well worth it. And the value of two separate staterooms along with the storage is a plus as well. I agree on the single engine for reasons I’ve stated many times, depending on how you plan to use the boat. There are several available now, (mine included, for the right price :) )

If my boat was for sale, It is NOT, I wouldn't even bother to answer this post.

I don't mean any disrespect but the O.P. almost looks like "phishing".

His second post is more like it. I wouldn't contact him still. Besides the fact that my boat is not for sale, my boat simply does not meet his criteria.

Be specific in your description of a boat for sale or a boat wanted, unless you like sorting through a million "off the mark" responses.

pete

Why do such posts appear? Seems to me that almost everything is listed on yacht world.

Gordon

Gordon,
I've been contacted by several sellers that don't have their boats list with a broker and Yachtworld only lists broker boats. They'd prefer to try selling themselves. Those boats weren't what I was looking for so I'm still looking.

If your mission allows, consider the semi-displacement hull boats too. They have some great price points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom