Tank Pump Out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pappy Chris

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Moonshine
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 40'
Easy question -- Currently what is the legal minimum distance off shore to pump your waste tank overboard.
I could not find anything newer on google than a 1995 post which said 3 miles. Is this still good information? I know how the powers that be like to change things now and then to justify a paycheck.

Cheers
Pappy Chris

Three miles. There are, of course, designated areas where that is illegal.

I believe there are some areas (the Gulf of Mexico comes to mind) where the distance is more than three miles). If you're thinking of pumping overboard while the USCG is rafted, conducting an inspection, you might want to research this further.

Otherwise, who is measuring?

BTW: It wasn't said, but we're talking about US law here. Other countries could have different (or no) regulations.

In Gulf Of Mexico, off Florida I believe it is 9 miles.

Peg Hall (Head Mistress) looked into this on another forum and I believe she found that 9 miles is listed in something like FL's widlife agency rules but not in any state legislation. I believe her final thought was 3 miles even on the FL Gulf Coast. Ther new NDZ spots in the Keys were also discussed.

I'm sure she would like to know... as a conflict between one agencies literature and state legislation drive me nuts...maybe her too.

Suggest you email her or see if she comes up here soon.

Last edited:
I am on the Texas gulf coast. Aransas Pass TX.
Thx for the input.

I have often wondered how accurately we can measure our distance offshore and if we would be cited if we were say, 2.9 miles offshore.

My chart gps/plotter program shows me radar rings out from the current location. You can set them at given distances (1 mile rings in my case). As long as I am off shore 3 rings I should be safe .... maybe.

My chart gps/plotter program shows me radar rings out from the current location. You can set them at given distances (1 mile rings in my case). As long as I am off shore 3 rings I should be safe .... maybe.
As long as you don't see any other boats, you are safe. ;)

My chart gps/plotter program shows me radar rings out from the current location.

Yes, radar-display rings are easy for telling distance if the object/landscape is in range.

img_83174_0_fb55ca1d782a46ca518189cd74a3e452.jpg

As long as you don't see any other boats, you are safe. ;)

Night time is the Right time,

FF

Back
Top Bottom