Thread: Albin 36 - SOLD
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2019, 08:39 AM   #30
PARROT ADVENTURE
Veteran Member

City: Southwest Florida
Vessel Model: Albin 36 single diesel
Thank you, CaptTom. And thank you to everyone who has messaged me about the sale of our boat, pricing, experience in selling the boat, etc. I had originally advertised the boat locally (throughout Florida) on Craigslist with mixed results. I then advertised it here on trawler forum with similar results. In both cases I elected to not hire a boat broker to assist in the sale because I know more about our boat than anyone else could describe to a prospective buyer. I showed the boat to a total of 15 prospective buyers since October, most of whom were couples and a few bachelors. Following their tours aboard the boat, folks: (1) didn't ever follow up with me again, (2) made low cash offers, (3) didn't like the offset queen berth, (4) wanted to remove the Lehman and "...install a Cummins 375 turbo diesel", (5) wanted a bowthruster, (6) were looking for a faster boat (i.e., "...how many MPH is 6 knots?!?"), (7) wanted less engine hours on the Lehman, (8) insisted the boat needed to be painted (WHAT???), (9) couldn't find a marina to live aboard it, (10) first asked me "SO, HOW FAST DOES IT GO?", or (11) somehow then didn't have their previously offered finances available after they arrived safely home. I was fortunate to have a buyer(s) who liked how the boat was maintained and appeared, and aren't afraid of continuing the DIY required maintenance and upkeep. We agreed on a price below my asking price, I accepted but didn't cash their certified bank check as deposit, and we agreed to the sale based upon a handshake and a conditional successful underway sea trial the following weekend. The following weekend arrived and the sea trial went flawlessly. To execute the purchase, I signed over the USCG Documentation, boat's and dinghy's Florida registrations, and they provided me another certified bank check for the remaining difference between our agreed price and their deposit check. We shook hands, vowed to keep in touch, and I cast off their lines. I remained on the dock until the boat rounded the turn in the ICW, outbound through Clearwater Pass, thence headed into the Gulf. Both the buyer and seller were pleased with the transaction.

As background, we paid $55K for the boat in 2012 and I made quite a few upgrades to the boat in the seven years we've owned it and of course maintained all brightwork (teak), electrical, and mechanical systems so the boat would remain "turnkey ready" for the future buyer. In reviewing current internet listings for similar aged Taiwanese-built trawlers, $1000 per foot seems to be a good current market value estimate for buyers and sellers of these boats; however, teak decks and steel fuel tanks can slightly devalue a boat. Conversely, having reliable and fully functioning mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems aboard add to the resale value.

The value of personal satisfaction knowing our boat will continue to be maintained and regularly used is worth far more to me than the difference between my asking price and the selling price. Thanks, Mark