View Single Post
Old 12-17-2019, 04:04 PM   #6
firehoser75
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Chris,
To adequately describe the true, real, definition of "trawler" as in reality it should be used by everyone, takes about 14 single spaced pages with much technical lingo .
What you are describing with "a boat with a full displacement hull built to move economically at abut 70% of the theoretical hull speed" is a very limiting definition, although maybe technically how it all started.
My Nordic Tug, even though it is capable of planing (barely and certainly not efficiently), is always operated at displacement speeds. Most "Tug" owners operate that way, therefore, even though a semi-displacement hull, it can and probably should be called a "trawler". Boats like the NT were probably the first "non-traditional" trawler to be included in the category. Now, some even call Carvers (and other boats that plane well) trawlers if the owner decides to operate most of the time at displacement speeds. To me, that is "stretching" the meaning, but that is just my opinion.

For me, I don't get "hung up" on the word "trawler", I look at each boat (brand/model) for their individual characteristics and then decide if that boat meets my needs and how I want to operate my boat. If I was contemplating going "off shore", then I would probably want what might be considered a true trawler such as a Nordhvn, Kadey Krogen, etc.
My 2 cents, don't get too worked up by definitions and look carefully at what will best meet your needs, wants, don't want, etc. and get what works for you!