New Couple in Tennessee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baloo

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Hoppy Hour
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 II
Hello everyone. My wife and I have been looking at trawlers. Getting ready to sell our old sailboat and take on a trawler project. We have found a 1979 Mainship 34 MK ii that we really like and have made an offer on. It is certainly a fixer upper, but we are up to the challenge. We restored our old 1983 Catalina C25 sailboat a few years back, and have just outgrown it. Figured after reading a bunch of helpful threads on this forum it was time to join!

Bucky

Welcome aboard. My neighbor has a 34 Mainship that he has to sell in a hurry because he is moving to Florida for a new job. You might call him if you are interested. The price is unbeatable. His name is Norm. 989-293-1770

Welcome to Trawler Forum neighbor.

So we pulled the trigger and are now actual trawler owners! We bought the Mainship, time to get to work.

IMG_9930.jpg

Welcome and congrats on the quick find and purchase!

Greg.

Congrats from another satisfied MS owner.

Congratulations on your purchase. It looks like a fine vessel

pete

Bucky,
Welcome to the Forum and Congrats on the "new" boat!!
Now the fun begins, getting her up to speed, and making her your own. Enjoy.

Well so far it has been three days of identifying all the issues and stripping out all the things we are replacing. It has been fun so far, we got a great deal, but it needed a lot of work.

Greetings,
Mr./Ms. BS. Ah yes...the fun begins. Enjoy. Cleaning up and making lists is good BUT I caution you to NOT make any major changes for at least a year. Get her dependable and livable first. THEN, after you get to really know her, make her your own.

Greetings,
Mr./Ms. BS. Ah yes...the fun begins. Enjoy. Cleaning up and making lists is good BUT I caution you to NOT make any major changes for at least a year. Get her dependable and livable first. THEN, after you get to really know her, make her your own.

I certainly agree on avoiding major modifications. Sadly the previous owners were not aware of ABYC wiring and plumbing guidelines. Basically every hose and some of the wiring needs to be replaced or repaired. Happily for many years I was a service technician in the marine industry. Our to do list this month is not too crazy:

Replace the engine injection pump and service the engine. (New one will be here Friday!)

Replace the salon flooring.

Replace and relocate the water heater back to its original location.

Relocate the water tank to where the water heater is currently hanging out.

Relocate the generator from the aft deck to where the water tank is currently hanging out.

Replace all the plumbing! (Yes all of it!)

Replace the fridge.

Replace all cabin lighting.

So not too crazy, we are already over half way there, and it is only day four.

Good Luck with your new toy! We had a 34 Mainship and really loved her but it had a stacked V berth. They are beautiful vessels.

I have a friend who bought one of those boats a few years back and had it in my neighborhood or at my pier for a year while he rehabbed it. It was a very nice boat when he was done. He got bored with it after that and sold it to his brother-in-law who then left it to idle away in a marina. I hope he sold it to somebody else who can enjoy it.

Welcome aboard. We have a place in Counce, TN and should be there on a more permanent basis in a year or two. Currently have a trailerable Atlas Acadia 25 that we plan on doing inland river cruising for a couple years before moving up in size.

Welcome and good luck.
I owned a 78 model 1 for 14 years and replaced/repaired just about everything in the boat.
If you get stuck on something, shoot me a PM and I'll try to help.

I appreciate all the warm welcomes! We have made a lot of progress in our first week of ownership. The engine now runs and lots of issues have been resolved. Where is the best place to post a thread of our project build?

It depends what topic your new thread will be about. If it general then the General Maintenance is a good place. BTW, we do require lots of photos...

Agree with Dave
If general in nature Trawler Forum - General Discussipn
Also look through the Maint & Systems heading to see if it fits one of the more specific topics.
And yes... dont forget the pictures.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom