Propeller and puller needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The prop puller pictured is an Algonaic (spelling) or a copy. I’ve used one for 30 years. If you adjust it when you haul your boat it is easy to do in the water. Plus, every year or two when you haul remove the prop and grease it, easier to remove later.

Everyone who is having a hard time removing props should blue check the taper fit prior to reassembly, and lap if required. One should also check to see if the fit is key bound.

These are pretty common millwrighting and/or mechanical engineering practices and skills that seem to not have transferred to boatyard mechanics yet. It's not particularly hard or tedious to check and fit up a taper to get proper contact on these relatively small shaft diameters of our boats.

I'd venture it takes less time to do it right, than it takes to pull of a poorly fit prop.

There really shouldn't be that much effort to remove props if fit properly.

Last edited:
NS. I agree but I’ve seen props that haven’t been removed for ten years. If they were removed when hauled, cleaned and greased and then put back on it would be an easy job in most cases.

Thank you all for your input. General propeller has about the as good as it gets price. They have helped me out before so I guess they get the money. Thanks again!
Tom

Voyager3. If you need cheaper shipping anywhere in the world contact Sendmybag.com
Its an Irish company that uses TNT, DPD etc. Their customers pay top whack for a supercadgealisticexpealidocious service and send my bag ship theirs when the big companies have a little spare space, in the trade its known as 'topping' i.e topping off a load.
It may take an extra day but the savings can be humungous.

As for prop pullers, if your boat's on the hard take two hammers and simultaneously hit the centre boss a good whack, turn the prop by hand a half turn and give it a another good whack, after about 4 whacks with the hammers it will pop free.
Now look at the money I saved you, mine's a beer :thumb:

I don't do underwater I'm afraid.

You guys are more adventurous than me.
In Fl, we are covered up with qualified divers who will remove, take the prop to a shop and reinstall it.
Other options, take it to a yard, have it hauled, you can then either remove it or have the yard do it.

Ok now I’m laughing out load. I’m up to 8 wacks!!! Thanks for the shipping info. Never heard of it before. Beers on me!! Anytime!!
Thanks Tom

Voyager3 8 whacks ? ? You must be doing it wrong, use 2x 2lb hammers and both blows must hit at the exact time to have the shock effect you need and when you've learnt the art we can share a beer with pleasure.

Dan I think I'd go to the yard and give it a full check over and do it myself.
I've had jobs done by 'professionals' and had to go back over to put it right again.

I once spent over £400 on mechanic plus parts to fix a vibration on the admirals car, front wheel, discs, calipers, wishbone, shocks and bushings & still not right.
I checked it out after with a jack and a screwdriver and the hub was distorted, 1 hours tinkering, £40 for a s/hand hub and its perfect now. Taught me a lesson.

Last edited:
If anybody is looking for a prop puller, Second Wave in Gig Harbor has one for sale.

It's good up to 1 5/8" shaft and is similar to this picture and was priced around $70. It's beat up and needs the threads cleaned up.

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 51
I've made my own out of a couple of pieces of plywood and three or four (depending on the number of blades) long machine screws. You're only under water for a few minutes to pull the prop, plywood will be fine. Don't forget to tie a safety line on the prop, it may want to pop off and sink to the bottom.

Can anyone recommend a prop puller that can be used under water? I have a 1-1/2" shaft with a 3 blade 20" prop.

Does anyone have a 20 LH 12 pitch for sale? Hard to find little buggers!
I have a bronze Columbia but would entertain others.

Prop Puller

You can rent or buy a control arm bushing puller from Advance Auto Parts. Be sure it has an open Y shape at the end. Its a C clamp style puller. I pulled the prop on my sailboat and it worked great. You buy it for $149, and as long as you return it within 3-4 days, you get all your money back.

A Tip
Any tool you use under water, you should be sure to tie a long/strong string or rope to it.

Last edited:
Any chance you know a Navy SEAL? They used to blow destroyer props with about three wraps of det cord. Maybe one would do ya.:hide:

Last edited:
Yes. I’d do it on the hard. My experienced shipwright had a devil of a time getting mine off. Needed a tiger torch and a sledgehammer.

Jim

Maybe it was a ball peen hammer. I can’t remember exactly, but it definitely involved the tiger torch.

If anybody is looking for a prop puller, Second Wave in Gig Harbor has one for sale.

It's good up to 1 5/8" shaft and is similar to this picture and was priced around $70. It's beat up and needs the threads cleaned up.

syjos,
Thank you!! I just contacted them to see how I can buy it and get it to DE.
:dance:

Back
Top Bottom