Manual primer pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnEasley

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Wanderlust
Vessel Make
1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'
Spent all day Saturday doing a raw water cooling system flush, oil and filter change, fuel filter change, and transmission oil and filter change on both of my Volvo TAMD 72. I let them sit for 24 hours with Barnacle Buster in the systems.

Started them up Sunday to warm them up, prior to going out. Both started normally. After a few minutes, the port engine died. Long story short, the seal on the port Racor wasn’t seated right and allowed an air leak. When trying to purge the air, I discovered the manual priming pump was spitting out fuel into my hand. At least the part is cheap. Found it anywhere from $10 to $25. Just need to find someone that has it in stock. 59812695192__62775C31-7BC8-44F5-80EB-A5E2987D97F1.jpg

Check your local area for a fuel injection shop. It's a Bosch part and used on all sorts of engines, not just Volvos. My local shop had what looks like the same thing used on my Cummins.

Local dealer wanted $65 for an authentic Bosch replacement.
AutoZone has the same thing for $21.49. Bosch brand and everything. Done deal. Should be mobile this weekend after bleeding off the air. :thumb:

I am replacing my Racors, one this year and the other one next year. In the process I found out that Racor sells a priming pump that installs in the Racor filter. I just put one in the port Racor and am going to install it next week. Won’t be able to try it until spring but it should make priming the filters and the secondaries much easier. I like it because I don’t have to add any pumps or valves to the fuel lines.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom