View Single Post
Old 12-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #20
catalinajack
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
I do not check for water while underway. Why would I not know before I got underway that there was water in the tank? Or debris. As for Tone Athens' opinion on Racor housings, educated or not, it matters not to me. I still like all metal filters with a bottom drain. In my opinion his sequential filtering regimen with vacuum gauges makes eminent sense to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
With regard to Tony, my point was that he had no scientific basis to comment on Racor's "in use time life expectancy".

Maybe you could explain your technique for an underway sampling for water in fuel. On long days (>6 hours) I do an engine room inspection every 4 hours which includes shining a light in the Racor bowl. A number of forum members do it more frequently.

With a fuel flow of 2 to 6 GPH with your Lehman in either the Racor 900 or 1000 series filters, I would imagine the whirlpool would have no effect. With my 135 HP JD, it probably has some effect as the underway flow rate is 10 to 32 GPH. In my Racor 1000 fuel polisher with a 150 GPH flow rate, the whirlpool effect is undeniable. Clearly the whirlpool requires a minimum flow rate to be effective.

Ted
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote