CPAP on board

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Parks. Visit the manufacturer of the CPAP website, most all have a battery option for those who backpack, ect. I keep two on my boat but have a generator.

Parks you’ll love the houseboat in the Flamingo back county and the skeeters shouldn’t be much of a problem. When younger I would rent the houseboat a few weekends a year. Fresh snook is a real treasure.

Cpap

I’ve used a CPAP machine on my boats since I retired in 2013. Both my Moody 47 and Manta 42 had enough solar and battery bank to power the inverter with juice to spare. I’ve used ResMed CPAP machines with no humidifier and never had a problem. Went sailing in French Polynesia last year and took a CPAP that had a battery pack which I charged during the day. It was pricey but worth it.

The cpap vastly improves the quality of your sleep, which in turn improves your quality of life. I also have a pacemaker which keeps me alive; has nothing to do with the cpap.

Anchored in Whitewater Bay. Got a big Honda Generator. Should get me through he night.

I use the standard cigarette lighter plug for my CPAP on my boat. Cannot use the humidifier as the heater draws too much amperage. No problems whatsoever with the plug or battery use. They make the plugs just for this and RV purposes.

Regarding the comment about heart surgery vs CPAP. Wow! Let me say that I'm pretty healthy, exercise regularly and maintain a decent weight. Without CPAP I sleep like crap and am up 4-5x per night. With CPAP I sleep through the night and wake up rested. It isn't that much of a ball and chain.....

As an alternative, have you ever discussed with your sleep doctor or dentist trying a mandibular advancement appliance? It is basically an upper and lower mouthguard that are connected in various ways depending on who or what lab fabricates it.
The idea is to advance the lower jaw (similar to what you were told in the old days in CPR classes) to help open the airway.
The statistics are they are very helpful in at least 50% of cases and don't require any electricity etc.
Best way to find out is to have one fitted and retake the sleep test. If your "number" drops down low enough in terms of apnotic events, then it can be a good alternative if you are camping etc.
There are dentists that have some pretty good expertise in fitting these and when they work, they really free people up to attempt things the wouldn't normally do.
Don't just get one made and go off without someone confirming that your airway is patent.
I'm retired, but I have had hundreds of patients in 45 years of practice that have really been freed of their CPAPs.

Good Luck

I have a power supply similar to the one JDL pictured. I can use it for overnight flights on airlines and as a backup on my boat (I live aboard) in case of power failure in the marina. I paid about $300 for it, and without using the humidifier on my ResMed Airsense 10 it will last 2 nights. I can recharge it during the day using a cigarette lighter. My Airsense 10 actually runs on 24v and has a converter for use with a straight in cigarette lighter. I used to use a much less sophisticated system on the boat and for camping. I had a 12v car battery and clip-on "cigarette lighter" adaptor. Not pretty, but it works like a champ. Several nights of use without a recharge when I took it camping.

CPAP Power

I use a Devilbiss CPAP which has AC and DC inputs. When on shore power I use the AC option but when on the hook I use a 12 volt battery jump pack for jumping car batteries with the “cigarette” plug. This avoids using the boat’s inverter power. The jump pack lasts for days but I just plug it into the AC power when underway to recharge it. This means no demand the ship’s battery/inverter unless underway. For camping this system works well too. Jump pack at night and plug 12 volt into car when driving during the day. Also have used this when power goes down at home.

Thanks guys! Great feed back. My math seems about the same as yours. I need to know more about the house boat. I’m not even sure how it’s powered, probably outboard. I do have a Honda 2000 generator. Might have to bring that along.

The machine actually runs on 24 volts. The power supply says input 110 volts 1-1.5 amps, output 24 volts 3.75 amps. It also says 90 watts next to the output cable.

1, Then 12v device may be a very bad idea. Depnd9ng on the brand, cPA{ is often run off of 24 v. So a 12v to 24 is not efficient.

Even worse if you ise a 2v tp 110 .. that will be small inverter.

I recentlu opgrade to to Airmino from Resmed. It is very small and very small and very efficient. Also, you can buy a battery supply fpr it. And charge it fro any 12 source you want/

I use mine when anchored out using a 800 watt inverter with no problem at all. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom