Question on Dometic AC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
Still searching for replacement AC units. Looking hard at Dometic Turbo. Had one person tell me that if I went that route I had to be careful of using Barnicle Buster/other acid washes on them as the tubing is thin and can get eaten away. I have not heard this complaint from users online. Any truth to having to hold down the # of washes or is this just salesman talk?

You shouldn't need to do an acid flush more than every five years. That will not damage the tubing.

David

We’ve had two Vector Turbos since 2008 and no issues nor have I heard or been warned about using acid cleaners. I’d think that if the tubing was thin, you would hear of failures because of erosion. That’s just a guess.

We replaced two Marine Airrrr Vector Compacts this year with Dometic Turbos. Wouldn't think the tubing sizes would be that much different, and I have used Rydlyme or Barnacle Buster a couple times in the VCs over the last 14 years with no apparent damage. Several others in our owners club have the Turbos and haven't ever mentioned something like that.

-Chris

Thanks guys. It sounded like sales BS to me but just checking. Beyond him saying it I have never heard of it being an issue. It's the internet. I am sure I would have read something if true.

I’ve always flushed with muriatic acid. 4$ a gallon and works almost instantly. I water it down three to one.

I’ve always flushed with muriatic acid. 4$ a gallon and works almost instantly. I water it down three to one.

Thanks. What make AC's do you have and how often do you flush? I have older MarinAir's and flushed with Barnacle Buster. They weren't in bad shape but it did gets some gunk out, cleaned them up.

We flushed with Barnacle Buster once -- or maybe it was twice -- in the 17 years those earlier units were in service. Got some stuff out, so I guess it was worth the effort.

We've just flushed with fresh water a few more times, mostly under duress... as when one or the other of the lines is clogged with mud buildup or whatever. But even that, that has been usually more about cleaning the strainer/strainer basket than anything else...

-Chris

To keep them clean backflush via the hull side outlet with a garden hose from time to time and put pool bromine tablets in the strainer.

Back
Top Bottom