Cold weather bedding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another vote for the heated matress pad. 30+ year user.

It is seldom cold enough to require extra heat after being snug in bed.

Its the cold bed and time to warm it up that stinks.

10- 15 min of electric will usually solve the hassle of a cold bed , after that nothing extra is usually needed.

One nice advantage of the heat is there is no warm groove with cold next to you.

The whole bed is warm so moving into an unused spot is Warm, not cold!!!Great!!!

Be careful with electric mattress pads...my last mattress discussed how even just a slight amount of temperature above body temp can ruin the foam mattress.

It discussed voiding the warranty...and while I loved the pad on the previous mattress, that mattress didn't last but a coupe years before breaking down so now I don't use one.

I always choose something cozy like fleece bed sets... Recently I've discovered simple blog ( here: https://enjoyablehouse.com/best-fleece-sheets/ ), which has explained how one model differs from another and how you should choose bed sets by their materials, manufacturers and sizes... Simple, but pretty informative website, I should admit.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a heated mattress pad that would work for a v-berth? Ours is about the width of a king, but because of the v shape we cannot tuck the edges of the pad around the mattress. We would need something that will lay on top of the mattress.

Thank you

Any recommendations or favorite easily stored cold weather blankets or comforters?
Something that compresses down in to small packages?

I have a Kifaru "Woobie" liner on my boat. The brand makes high quality hunting gear and many items are bought by Special Ops as being superior to what is provided by their services. Thin and light, dries quickly and warm far in relation to its bulk. They make two weights suitable for outdoor ground sleeping. https://store.kifaru.net/woobiedoobie-p72.aspx

We use down comforters and pack them away in space (vacuum) bags in the off season. The space bags will compress a queen size comforter down to about 24x24x2". Buy the space bags that come with a small hand pump if you don't have a vacuum cleaner on board.

Cold weather sleeping

1. Heated mattress pad on for 15 minutes
2. Hudson Bay 100% wool blanket, always warm even wet

I ordered my electric mattress pad earlier today. I can’t wait!

"Does anyone have a suggestion for a heated mattress pad that would work for a v-berth?"

They are also made for single bunks for OTR trucks.

Just buy 2 and each will have its own control too. . 120V or 12V , youre choice.

Volts Bunk Warmers | Electro Warmth

https://electrowarmth.com

12 volt bunk warming pad goes “on the mattress” under you (heat rises). Plugs into the lighter socket. Pre-warms bunk and gets rid of dampness. Heat soothes and relaxes tired back and legs. Helps lull you to sleep.

Last edited:
Cold Weather Bedding

Any recommendations or favorite easily stored cold weather blankets or comforters?
Something that compresses down in to small packages?

Perhaps I'm a little late to get in on the discussion, but.. In 45 years of sailing I've tried a few things to keep warm at night. We never use heat over night. It's come down to an electric mattress pad run on 110. As others have said, turning it on 1/2 hour before bedtime is all that's needed. I made a V quilt many years ago with poly batting and that is the rest of the story. I use down at home. It does compress easily and you can use a vacuum bad without the vacuum by laying on the bag and zipping it closed.

V-berth mattress pad

Does anyone have a suggestion for a heated mattress pad that would work for a v-berth? Ours is about the width of a king, but because of the v shape we cannot tuck the edges of the pad around the mattress. We would need something that will lay on top of the mattress.
Our V-berth is large also. I was having the same problem and if you can sew you can alter it to fit.
I bought a Queen size pad because it has two control units and yet it covers most of the mattress at the head. Then I cut the stitching around the wires in the lower half of the pad, placed them where I wanted in a V shape and (carefully so I didn't hit the wire) zig-zagged sewed them back down. I trimmed the excess bulky material away. Its been working well for years.

Lots of talented folks on this forum.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom