Hello to all....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GWM

Hi to all, as a NewBie this is my first post...... I have been exploring the forum for some months now and have gained some very useful information and knowledge. Presently I am in the midst of planning a move from Ontario, Canada to Vancouver Island (my retirment destination). I have been reviewing a number of MY and Trawlers and I am keen on the Meridian 408 and the Kadey-Krogen 39. I am reaching out to forum members as I am trying to find the dimentions of the salon including galley area legnth and width on these two boats(no luck so far finding it on the web). If someone can assist me by providing this information I would be grateful.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. Congrats on your retirement.

Reactions: GWM
Can't help with the dimensions but am extending a welcome to TF and congrats on joining the growing bunch of retired bums of the world.

If you find one of these boats online, ask the broker to get a tape and measure it for you.

GWN,
Welcome to the Forum, and an early welcome to Vancouver Island. It is a great place to retire (don't tell anyone else though :)) and to boat.
As Bruce suggests, if you can find and contact a good broker (not always easy), or Kadey Krogen in Seattle (for the 39) you may be able to get those dimensions. When we were boat shopping, we looked at the KK39 and really liked it. Our good friends are KK owners, first owning a KK 44, then moving up to the KK52. IMHO all of them are great boats! The only thing that stopped us from owning a 39 was price. Just a bit out of our "top price".
You may have to be patient to find a KK39 available and in good condition in the PNW, but probably will find more Meridians available. Haven't actually checked, just a "feel". Also, KK seem to really hold their value, so you may "pay more". If you can find a "stabilized" KK39 in good condition within your budget, you will have a very good boat. As you can tell, I like the KK better, but that is personal preference. Meridians offer many good features, with more interior space possibly being one of them.
Good luck,
Tom

Definitely purchase your boat out here. You will read this often as you belong to TF over time. Getting the boat out here is the easy part, getting the moorage not so much.

Suggestions:
1. Include moorage in your boat negotiations. Don't buy the boat unless you can get into that marina.

2. If I had to guess where you are planning living on the Island, it is probably either Victoria or Qualicum Beach where I am. If you move north of Victoria, Ladysmith can be easier to get into and a good jumping off point for the Gulf and San Juan Islands. Or if you move further North, Deep Bay is a great little marina most don't know about and a decent small yacht club, think reciprocal rights here. Deep Bay is a great location to get to Desolation Sound, Jarvis and Princess Louisa Inlet and the Broughtons and the Alaska Panhandle. You can probably get into either suggested marina but you will stuck in a temporary moorage situation [Translation: more money] until you are accepted full time.

My boat is in Comox and you can try there but I know they have had obscene waiting lists at both the private and public marinas. And believe it or not, about 10 % of all the moorage spaces are taken by people from Alberta who fly in and boat here in BC.

If you need assistance, don't hesitate to ask.

Welcome to the forum, we are from Bobcaygeon but boat out of Beaverton. Good luck with your boat search, enjoy the forum and you will love retirement!

GWM,
You have not stated what part or area of Vancouver Island you are thinking of moving to. If near Nanaimo, there is moorage available at both the Nanaimo Port Authority (downtown) and at the Waterfront Suites and Marina which is about a 25 minute walk along the water front from the downtown area. There may even be other slips available as there are a number of other marinas in Nanaimo. Being mid island, close to ferries (2 routes to the lower mainland), sea planes, and regular airport, it is also a great starting point for exploring the entire water both north and south of Nanaimo. Many marine services are readily available (based here) as well which could reduce "travel time" costs.
If this area interest you, or you just want to talk local boats and boating, send me a PM with your email address and we can connect.
Regards,
Tom

Back
Top Bottom