Replacing Raw Water Pump - Westerbeke 21 Genset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JKern

Vessel Name
Stormy Gal
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 40 Aft Cabin
Hi Gurus and Pundits -

I am a shameless newbie. This is my first boat ever - a 40 Foot Ocean Alexander.
I was hoping to get some quick advice as I am replacing a leaking (at weephole) raw water pump.
It was recommended to use gasket sealant rather than a gasket by Westerbeke rep.

My question: What gasket sealant should I buy?

Thank you in advance,
Jack

If where it bolts to the engine, any oil tolerant gasket maker is fine.

I used both when I just replaced my 8kw Westerbeke pump.

Also know that the water seal side is pretty easy to replace without disassembling the pump by removing the impeller and picking out the old seal..

Greetings,
Mr. JK. A drippy welcome aboard.

giphy.webp

Edit: Do NOT use a silicone type sealant.

Thanks!

I really appreciate the welcome and the advice!

Thanks again,

Jack

Greetings,
Mr. JK. A drippy welcome aboard.

giphy.webp

Edit: Do NOT use a silicone type sealant.

RT... The last time I looked for gasket sealant it was tough not to find a siicone based one.

I needed a faster cure so luckily I did find one.

The question is, WHY is it leaking through the weeping hole? Bad shaft seal?

I just worked on my Westerbeke a few weeks ago. The raw water pump does not have a weep hole, but the back of the pump is open . If it's leaking there it's because a seal is worn out inside the pump. There is a small screw coming out of the side of the pump that can corrode and start leaking. It holds the shoe in place that is inside the pump. Mine was leaking there and when I tried to remove it, it broke off and I had to drill it out and find another screw. I put a dab of Permatex #2 to seal it. Is working fine now. I have never had a issue with the mounting gasket leaking just putting it on dry. But you could use the Permatex #2 there also. The #2 does not harden up, don't use the #1, it will harden up.

Attachments

• DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_0014.jpg
    DSC_0014.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 38
#2 on Permatex #2

older thread related question

replaced all parts (repair kit) for a similar Westerbeke raw water pump, NO gasket supplied for the 6 screws round plate side?

question

does it need a gasket?, the new design includes an O ring, think that may be the reason?
The kit supplies a new plate and O Ring, like they want to make sure the ring will seal it ?

The older pumps included a very thin paper, no longer.

thank you

older thread related question

question

does it need a gasket?, the new design includes an O ring, think that may be the reason?
The kit supplies a new plate and O Ring, like they want to make sure the ring will seal it ?

The older pumps included a very thin paper, no longer.

thank you

The manufacturers provides both an O ring and gasket to fit either a pump sealed with an O ring or a pump requiring a gasket. More efficient to provide both instead of two different part numbers. Installer not knowing sealing method needs to only bring one kit per pump.

westerbeke raw water pump

thank you Syjos

I think will go ahead and install without a gasket.
was intrigued as the repair kit does not include the impeller side gasket and yet includes a new plate and a gasket for the 4 bolts engine side.
Also the exploded view of this pump does NOT show a gasket on the pic.
I could make a gasket for the impeller side or use a thin layer of Permatex, but afraid the extra thickness will compromise the O ring sealing.

David

thank you Syjos

I think will go ahead and install without a gasket.
was intrigued as the repair kit does not include the impeller side gasket and yet includes a new plate and a gasket for the 4 bolts engine side.
Also the exploded view of this pump does NOT show a gasket on the pic.
I could make a gasket for the impeller side or use a thin layer of Permatex, but afraid the extra thickness will compromise the O ring sealing.

David

Use the O ring without the gasket as it was designed.

I suggest applying a small amount of silicone grease or Superglue to the O ring to keep it in place during install and to prevent binding of the O ring during tightening of the cover screws

westerbeke raw water pump

thank you syjos very much

just came back from installing the pump, as you suggested, perfect!
Do appreciate your recommendations.
take care
David

thank you syjos very much

just came back from installing the pump, as you suggested, perfect!
Do appreciate your recommendations.
take care
David

Great!

Hope you did not use superglue as I suggested in post 14. Auto correct converted Superlube to Superglue.

Any non petroleum grease will work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom