Hinged Swim Platform

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mizzkim

Veteran Member
Hi all. I am wondering if anyone has removed or replaced there swim step with a hinged version. Slip size says it must be hinged and up in the harbor. Anyone have any pictures of the process? A slick new hinge system perhaps? thanks....

Hinged swim platforms seem rare to me. My boat, however, came so-equipped:

img_173554_0_f3f23c7d964139ec552f12039bacbaa4.jpg

img_173554_1_83080ba35b6aee75613e42a4227116ba.jpg

Our Selene 47 has a hinged solid swim platform. It is raised/lowered with a simple block arrangement. Not sure why it was designed this way but some "advantages" are: (a) security - no landing platform when in up position); (b) shorter boat for dock length and per ft cost (saves about 2 ft); (c) following sea does not "lift" platform, though this is also accomplished with a non-solid, rail-type platform. Having said all that, I do not think I would consider any of these "benefits" significant enough to change an existing platform. On the other hand, I have not seen any downside to this design, except some slapping in rough anchorages when the platform is left in the down position - we usually lift it under such conditions.

Hi and thanks for the pictures. The step looks great! The stern on the MizzKim isnt flat so my hinge points will not be the same distance out from center to the outside. I need to do it to fit in my slip properly. Do your hinges protrude out from the stern some or are they pretty flat?
terry

The hinges protrude about an inch or so.

img_173611_0_990bc4a9d0c3117c5f85185fd2e7d79a.jpg

Last edited:
Our boat came equipped with a small swim platform that folds up. It is small since there is boarding ladder to one side. I usually leave it up when travelling and only lower it for swimming or boarding the dingy. Not great pictures but you should be able to see the hinges and it just ties up to a fitting half way up the transom.

Attachments

• IMG-20130503-00074 (Large).jpg
    IMG-20130503-00074 (Large).jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG-20130506-00079 (Large).jpg
    IMG-20130506-00079 (Large).jpg
    156 KB · Views: 180
thanks for the pictures folks. Mark are the hinge points threaded and protrude thru the transom with nuts inside? I think I like the looks of your platform.
thanks, terry in ak

thanks for the pictures folks. Mark are the hinge points threaded and protrude thru the transom with nuts inside? ...

Probably. I doubt they are welded to the steel hull.

I put my swimming system returning on my 43DC yesterday. It had a lot of spoiled primary in it from previous owner support into something I had to dig out. Also set up St Croix dinghy davits. The platform worked fine and looks pretty good. I will be next time post its photo here.

Hinged swim platform

Hinged swim platforms seem rare to me. My boat, however, came so-equipped:

img_173554_0_f3f23c7d964139ec552f12039bacbaa4.jpg

img_173554_1_83080ba35b6aee75613e42a4227116ba.jpg

Mark, I like your platform (and your trawler!) and am considering something like it for my pocket trawler that does not have one currently. Do you know what make yours is?

Our Selene 47 has a hinged solid swim platform. It is raised/lowered with a simple block arrangement. Not sure why it was designed this way but some "advantages" are: (a) security - no landing platform when in up position); (b) shorter boat for dock length and per ft cost (saves about 2 ft); (c) following sea does not "lift" platform, though this is also accomplished with a non-solid, rail-type platform. Having said all that, I do not think I would consider any of these "benefits" significant enough to change an existing platform. On the other hand, I have not seen any downside to this design, except some slapping in rough anchorages when the platform is left in the down position - we usually lift it under such conditions.

I see a lot of Selene's that have a hinged swim deck. Crusty has one.

I see a lot of Selene's that have a hinged swim deck. Crusty has one.

I think it was an option. Here’s a 1999 47’ Selene that I saw a few years ago in Fall River MA.

Attachments

• 9ED06F70-72C4-4FE8-A197-4D36C02D277F.jpg
    9ED06F70-72C4-4FE8-A197-4D36C02D277F.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 49
  • DB1EE5A7-07C7-45FD-835C-487D34C3B664.jpg
    DB1EE5A7-07C7-45FD-835C-487D34C3B664.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 54
Yep, identical to ours. Selene engineered these at the request of buyers to reduce overall length. We have put ours up a few times and by doing so, we shave off about 30” of overall length.

Nice shot of my previous boat's stern at the Fall River marina. We used to keep ours up most times when underway. Compared to fixed platforms, I think there is an advantage in following seas not getting the stern lifting motion. As Crusty said we also saved a few bucks. Boat listed as a 47, but LOA measured just over 50ft with platform down. We paid for 47ft !!!

Mark, I like your platform (and your trawler!) and am considering something like it for my pocket trawler that does not have one currently. Do you know what make yours is?

It is one of seven Coot 35s constructed by Seahorse Marine.

I would want to make sure that a hinged swim step/platform (great idea, BTW) had a could of struts to make sure it STAYS down and is not lifted by the seas. I speak from an experience where I was forced to get down on a fixed swim platform in heavy seas unaware that the securing bolts were just about rotted through. When they broke, the platform rose up with my mere 200-plus pounds riding along with it.

Ours is up most of the time when underway
On relatively nice days when the dinghy is being towed it will be left down
It also acts as a gate to seal the transom as we have a large opening in it allowing easy step from duckboard to cockpit.

Attachments

• IMG_20180725_101717~02.jpg
    IMG_20180725_101717~02.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 61
I actually meant the platform. Factory made or aftermarket?

Factory made by the boat builder. An extra-cost option but got it free (was not ordered).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom