Old 11-28-2019, 04:51 PM   #87
FlyWright
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Yea, the nextgen/kubota is a good machine for smaller boats. It is a bit rough and noisy, but it beats sweating like crazy all night. The FP is nice because it is so light you can tip it into the dumpster single-handed.

The NL 5-6kW is a good unit, but it is not that good. I have fixed a lot of them and seen the weak spots. No valve seats?? WTF. Salt water creaping in from HX boots?? Same thing. Cheesy wiring in control box?? Really? But if you can fit the 3cyl in your boat it is better than most. And the NL 5kW is what is in my boat, over 6000hrs so far. But it has not been flawless. Still pretty good, though.

To the OP, the 1cyl nextgen is wide and flat, so mounting dimensions are going to be different. If you can fit it, good. Use a larger than recommended water lift muffler to cut down the exhaust noise. The NL 5/6kW is nice but probably bigger than you need, and that is not good if oversized.
Great info, Ski. Thanks for sharing that expertise!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Ski's comments are good enough for me. If nothing else for casting a bit of doubt on the gold standard myth. But, owner care and maintenance seems to be the key with many 1800 RPM units I'm familiar with.
Very good point, Tom and probably true for all RPM ranges.

I agree that an installed genset is much preferred to an air-cooled Honda generator like mine if feasible. I run mine strapped down on the FB bench seat which insulates the vibes and noise and allows for good ventilation. But I gotta run up the ladder to start, stop and refill with gas. Maybe someday I'll upgrade to a 3000 with remote control!

I rarely drive from my FB anymore. I treat like my FB as my 'attic with a million dollar view' so it's not really in the way of anything up there.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote