Tarpon Springs cruise / get together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
I'm planning on heading up to Tarpon Springs in January for a couple of days of sightseeing and restaurant sampling. Had talked to a couple of TF friends who had expressed an interest and thought I would open it up to anyone who wanted to come.

No dates have been set, really more in the planning stage. Basically its a 1 to 3 day trip up from Fort Myers. Area is known for it's past sponge diving history and lots of good restaurants. If you like Greek food, you will want to visit Tarpon Springs.

Anyone interested?

Ted

We are wintering at Longboat Key and have Tarpon Springs on our list of cruising destinations. So keep us posted, if dates work out for us we would definitely be interested.

Will do.

Ted

Tarpon Springs is my home town and my typical boating activity ranges from St. Pete to Tarpon. My wife and I could meet up on a weekend.

Tarpon Springs is a fun place to visit. Lots of good restaurants along the water and shops that you can spend money in. Check dockage depth as some are quite shallow. Haven’t been there in years but it would be a fun trip.

Tarpon Springs is my home town and my typical boating activity ranges from St. Pete to Tarpon. My wife and I could meet up on a weekend.
I look forward to it. Have wanted to see your boat for a while.

Ted

Tarpon Springs is a fun place to visit. Lots of good restaurants along the water and shops that you can spend money in. Check dockage depth as some are quite shallow. Haven’t been there in years but it would be a fun trip.
Was there in 2017. The skinny water limited my choice of marinas.

Does it take you 2 days to get there from Miami? :rolleyes:

Ted

Ted probably 3 or four, I’d probably do it in five to relax.

Hint to Vashon Trawler, to not getting embarrassed don’t dock next to Ted, Slow Hand always looks like it just came off the assembly line after being treated to spit and polish.

I live 10 minutes north of Tarpon Springs and would love to meet up for lunch or whatever. Can be any day as I am retired.
I also can offer a ride if you need some supplies or groceries or whatever.
Where will you stay? I think they recently re-worked the marina that is near the alt 19 bridge at the sponge docks. I think it's the city marina.
I'll PM my cell number.
Jay

Last edited:
I live 10 minutes north of Tarpon Springs and would love to meet up for lunch or whatever. Can be any day as I am retired.
I also can offer a ride if you need some supplies or groceries or whatever.
Where will you stay? I think they recently re-worked the marina that is near the alt 19 bridge at the sponge docks. I think it's the city marina.
I'll PM my cell number.
Jay
Hi Jay,
I think I stayed at Port Tarpon marina last time, would like to stay closer to the sponge docke area if possible. Will give the city marina a call after Turkey day and see what their situation is. Appreciate the offers for assistance.

Ted

I live about two hours south in Punta Gorda but would love to drive up and join you guys for a Greek lunch. Let me know where and when. I also will PM my cell phone number.

David

David. PM it to Ted but wait a few days, his phone probably doesn’t work where he is this weekend in the Frozen Northeast. :)

I live about two hours south in Punta Gorda but would love to drive up and join you guys for a Greek lunch. Let me know where and when. I also will PM my cell phone number.

David
Will do, hopefully come up with dates in the next couple of weeks.

Ted

Hint to Vashon Trawler, to not getting embarrassed don’t dock next to Ted, Slow Hand always looks like it just came off the assembly line after being treated to spit and polish.

Fish is right. One early fall morning, I happened to be fishing on the eastern shores of Lake Okeechobee when I caught this blinding flash coming from the west side of the lake. Turns out that it was Ted coming through on his way back to Maryland and the faux sunrise was just the reflection off his paint job.

Attachments

• 65639931-994E-479A-B185-959101914FCD.jpeg
    65639931-994E-479A-B185-959101914FCD.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 64
Hi Jay,
I think I stayed at Port Tarpon marina last time, would like to stay closer to the sponge docke area if possible. Will give the city marina a call after Turkey day and see what their situation is. Appreciate the offers for assistance.

Ted

Turtle Cove marina is also close, about 2 short blocks away from sponge docks.
Its really nice. We have friends that stayed there 2 years ago and they really liked it.

Turtle Cove marina is also close, about 2 short blocks away from sponge docks.
Its really nice. We have friends that stayed there 2 years ago and they really liked it.
I will give them a call also.

Ted

Would love to join you and everyone. I'm located on the east side of Tampa Bay in Ruskin. Could either drive or take our boat depending on dates you'll be there.

Tarpon Springs

I'm planning on heading up to Tarpon Springs in January for a couple of days of sightseeing and restaurant sampling. Had talked to a couple of TF friends who had expressed an interest and thought I would open it up to anyone who wanted to come.

No dates have been set, really more in the planning stage. Basically its a 1 to 3 day trip up from Fort Myers. Area is known for it's past sponge diving history and lots of good restaurants. If you like Greek food, you will want to visit Tarpon Springs.

Anyone interested?

Ted

We stay at Turtle Cove in Tarpon Springs. Only 2 blocks from sponge docks. Nice marina with nice people. My boat draws 3.4' and have not had any problems. BoatUS fuel discount as well. Have fun. Try Demitri's for great Greek food. It is on the water.

we've been stuck up here in Maryland for two months longer than we expected but tarpon springs was supposed to be our destination this year. Will be leaving Worton Creek at sunrise tomorrow and hope to get down there in time to join you. Please keep me in the loop as we will have cell and internet as we travel thank you.

I was thinking (yeah I know that’s dangerous) but it’s great that the Forum is becoming so social. A get together in January at Tarpon Springs and February at Ft Pierce. It’s a Great Life!

I'm doing my refit on Dodecanes Rd (sponge docks) by the city marina. Leaving tomorrow to go home for xmas , but will be back around 7 Jan. The city marina has just reopened after putting new docks in. Currently only 2 boats in although it was busy a week or so ago. Would love to meet up with forum people if you do come up this way. Feel free to message me with any dates.

Martin how many feet do you draw? That info may provide a clue to other boats.

Thanks

Mines a 67ft Cheoy Lee (see my Avatar) with 5ft 3" draft. I've seen some pretty big stuff come up the river, with draft greater than me. I have not been down river yet since the sea trials. I bought the boat here and have been refitting it since. Hopefully finished prior to spring.

When they did the new city docks , they dredged the area.

Thanks. It’s been many years since I’ve been there but I know some shrimpers get in there and most I know draw six plus feet. Nice to know it was dredged recently. I draw five feet and knew your boat draws more.

Thanks

Thanks for the invite, would love to attend. Been there many times, and just live south of there in St. Petersburg. Five hour boat run or hour drive. Most likely bring the boat.

Great local if we can get slips at the same dock, lots of good restaurants and shopping for the ladies.

Hey there,
We are a little new to the Trawler lifestyle and would love to meet up with some real salty veterans. I’m on a little Bayou off the river. I know the town pretty well. Stay between the markers on your way in and you’ll be fine. Rusty Belles has the best fish in town so you will want to go there Its on the river has a bar/live music Finally after you get tired of looking at sponges and crap at the docks ride the trolley downtown to the antique shops for the wife to shop. There is a cozy little bar where you can wait. Also consider a stop on the SE side of three Rooker Bar that lies south of Anclote Island. It’s quite beautiful there. The inside channel runs next to it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom