Project: New upholstery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattkab

Vessel Name
C:\[ESC]
Vessel Make
2002 Bayliner 4788
Just a few cell-phone pictures of our newly-started project, reupholstering all the cushions in the cabin.

We found that the foam is in good enough shape that we didn't replace it this time, but instead just covered it in a couple layers of batting. We did put vinyl on the bottom of both cushions to prevent moisture and slipping.

So far we have just spent a couple nights, and got two cushions completed. We took them down this past weekend to see how they look, and make sure we are on the right track.

The firs picture is a closeup of the new material, including some of the throw pillows.

The 2nd picture is a before-and-after in one shot. The old cushions are to the left (aft), and the newly covered cushions are to the right (forward).

The last picture is all three of our winter projects in one shot. From front to back:
the chart table
the new cushions
the new countertops and faucet

We should have more photos in upcoming weeks.

Attachments

• dinette cushion aft sample.jpg
    dinette cushion aft sample.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 85
  • dinette cushions.jpg
    dinette cushions.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 106
  • all projects one pic.jpg
    all projects one pic.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 295
Nice job! I too have been working on new cushions. My husband and I bought a "fixer upper" 1973 Gulfstar that shall we say needs a lot of love. I have been working on replacing all the cushions, foam and all. Gutting out the galley is our next project. Nice pictures, keep up the great work.

Nice job Matt!

Very nice Matt, can I send you mine?

Thanks everyone for the nice replies. We are pretty happy with the results so far.

What is covering your chart? Lexan?
It's just a cheap 1/8" sheet of acryllic. Not sure if it's actually Lexan, or another type of plastic, but it was about $50 for the sheet from a hardware store. I cut it to size using a $4 cutter, and the corners were added using a hand-planer. Only took about 15 minutes to complete.

The original laminate top was sanded down, and a coat of black spray paint for plastic was applied. The chart was downloaded from the NOAA historical charts website, converted to grayscale, and printed at 36x24.

It's one of my favorite features in the cabin now. I highly recommend it!

I'm doing ours now. Who knew I could sew cushions! We were missing two Portuguese bridge cushions so I had to buy foam for them. Yikes! Expensive stuff. The rest are just recovers with Sunbrella. Upholstery, my next career.

Dave

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom