Diesel Transfer Pump recommendation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Looking for a recommendation on a pump for fuel transfer and polishing in the 150-200 GPH range. I'm finding smaller Walbro's in the 43 gph range; and large Groco impellor pumps in the 600 GPH range, which is much bigger than the 180 gph rating on my filter. Thoughts?

I use the following:

Jabsco 18680-0920 12 volt or
18680-0940 24 volt

The problem with the Jabsco 18680-0920 12 volt .
Is a) Light duty,
B) to powerful @6.3gpm. It spins out the dirt but not the water at that speed out of a 900 / 1000 racor.

Racor 900 90gph 1.5gpm
Racor 1000 180 gph 3gpm

Jabsco 6.3GPM

Racor 900 90gph 1.5gpm
Racor 1000 180 gph 3gpm
Jabsco 6.3GPM

Ergo, my conundrum. Was hoping there might be a middle-ground out there. I don't have great space for a filter. The Racor 1000 requires 10-inches of vertical space to change the filter, which is fine.

I use a Holley Red rated at 71gph @ 4psi. Works fine with my Racor 500's although Racor recommends a max rate of 60gph. The max rate for 1000's is 180gph so the Holley HP150 might work. It's rated at 140gph @ 7psi.

Last edited:
Weebles
Update
I found a pump for my new polishing installation. It's a 12v SEaflo gear pump SFGP1-032-003-01 Pumps 3.2GPM Perfect for my dual Racor 900's operating together. Not finished the install yet still putting new copper lines to all 5 tanks etc. Not tested the pump yet, but other seaflo products have been fine.

Attachments

• New fuel polisher.jpg
    New fuel polisher.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 56
HI Ted
Similar but not the same slightly different specs. The seaflo was the closest match to the spec I could find for the Racor's. Anymore capacity from the pump over 180 GPH and I would have stood a chance of not allowing the water out of suspension. I have arranged my new polisher to gravity feed around 80% from 4 tanks to my day tank. I can by using one valve drain 100% of those tanks to my day tank. Now working on the copper pipe install (feed/return)

Hi Martin,
They offer several different pumps with different flow rates and different voltages. I assume they are both from the same original manufacturer.

With the Racor 1000, I found 2.5 GPM was a better flow rate. Still has quite a bit of vacuum pulling the vacuum gauge needle into the yellow normally.

Ted

Last edited:
I installed a Reverso Gear Pump GP301-H (~$300) a year ago and it has worked well for about 100h use.
I get 2.5-3.0 g/min thru my Racor 1000FG with the pump on the vacuum side. Flow depends on resistance of the system. Mine is ~12”Hg on the Racor 1000 top gauge. That is in the yellow, but the color code is more for engine back pressure, I believe. The 1000FG is rated for 28.5” Hg, 180g/h. Using 10μ or 30μ filters made no difference in flow, pressure. Pump draws 6A (12vdc) and warms up to about 43C after 4h use.

Hi Ted
My pump is mounted on the inlet side of the filters if you look at the photo in the earlier post. I used Jabsco's in the last boat just for transfer and found they got to hot after a hour or so. When I looked into these I found that they operate at higher temps up to 140F. Jabsco are rated up to 104F. Anyway hopefully pipework will be in by next week, and I'll report on the success or failure.

A gear pump is what you want for diesel transfer and you can get them small enough. I think any of the three mentioned above would do the job. I was a dealer for Reverso and never had a return on one of their gear pumps.
Gear Pump 302 - Medium Duty

Any filter works far better being sucked thru , rather than pumped thru.

A pump can mix the water and dirt making the filters job of clearing an emulsion much harder.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom