Hello All

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beeliner

New member here with a recently purchased 1972 21' Crosby/TBI Tug project boat. The hull and deck are solid/dry and the Perkins 4.108 engine runs well (repowered in 87). The wood cabin on the other hand will need complete replacement. I've already started removing it. Looking forward to a sharing some thoughts with you on the rebuild process.

crosby 21 mk.jpg

crosby backyard.jpg

cabin interior gutted.jpg

Welcome aboard. Congrats on your new boat. Have a lot of fun working on it.

Beeliner:

Lovely lines on your little tug. And great engine. Looking forward to following your rebuild and modifications of the cabin.

:popcorn:

How do you plan to use the vessel once you bring the cabin back to life? At 21 feet, she would be be a great day cruiser and depending upon your mods, perhaps a weekend camper-style boat.

Are you planning a roof extension over the cockpit?

Cheers,
Mrs. Trombley

My only comment would be to "Don't go nuts" on the demolition. I have seen any number of boats where the owner thought he/she might as well go "all the way" in the demolition phase of the project. They often end up with a completely gutted boat and then loose enthusiasm for the rebuild project because it has turned into a huge project.

I prefer the "one step at a time" outlook. Sure it may sound logical to pull all the wiring while you have some walls opened, then might as well pull all the plumbing, then the windows, then the electronics and controls, then the thru hulls and a million other projects that really can wait.

I never start a project that can't be finished in one off season so I can go boating when the weather gets nice.

Welcome Aboard,

pete

Welcome to the forum and enjoy your refit but get out on the water a bit so you don't get disillusioned. So us pictures as you go. Cheers!

Hello and welcome.
If you are going to do a total rebuild of the house, would be to your advantage to lose 2-3 ft the cockpit, extending the house making it more comfortable inside? Finish it up with a rigid over the remaining cockpit and drop down canvas curtains. If the rigid extension allows, a solar panel.

Last edited:
If you are going to do a total rebuild of the house, would be to your advantage to lose 2-3 ft the cockpit, extending the house making it more comfortable inside? Finish it up with a rigid over the remaining cockpit and drop down canvas curtains. If the rigid extension allows, a solar panel.

This sounds wise to me. Get the most liveable space you can on the boat and it extends its use.

I did a search. I did find information and layout of the 26 but not the 21.
If you take out the wall between the steering station and the saloon, you should be able to either lengthen the V-berth or adding a small wet head. The days of crapping and peeing over the side are long gone. CHUCKLE
Share your plans about your proposed galley area with us?
The bilge is how deep in the saloon area excluding the engine area.
Tell us about your fuel and water tank.... size, material. One house battery, one start battery? Obviously, a generator is pretty much out of the question. A/C not possible either.
I totally agree with Pete's comment, "Do go nuts." with the modifications.
I have a lot of "over-kill" on my AT34 or as I tell folks, "I have put a lot of perfume on the pig." I "think" I am finished with my internal 'mods for comfort'. It is time to renew the canvas to its final design, upgrading my electronic to the previous century.
Time for you to determine the design of the house.... and also, what goes inside the house and where it is placed. But first, construct the house.... leave the internal structor/walls bare.... You will have lots of wire to pull and place. This is much easier to do without the walls. Consider a conduit for the longer runs... Obviously, no splices internal to the conduit.

Cool boat!

I think you found yourself a real opportunity. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it. It sure looks like a good foundation upon which to spend your time and money provided the hull, decks, and driveline are what you think they are. Good luck. Bill

And when you are done, hit a classic boat show or two and display yours, many will appreciate it.

There are many house configurations on the 26ft hull. We are all waiting to see the plans for your house.

Thank you all for the replies. Will keep you updated on my progress....the cabin will probably need to wait until next spring. This winter I'll be working "in the bilge", pulling the engine to replace the original steel fuel tank. While I'm in there, I'll clean up and paint the bilge area. Also need to update the drive train. The current setup has an external stuffing box and no cutless bearing.

Back
Top Bottom