Vinyl Graphic Removal from Awlcraft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’ve use a 3M vinyl eraser wheel on a rechargeable Dewalt drill on gel coat. Worked like a charm. Shouldn’t hurt the paint as they are used on cars too... Took the adhesive off also. I followed with wax/grease remover, 3M Finnese It and finally a good boat wax.

Last edited:
Eucalyptus oil is very good at dissolving adhesive. Probably more available here than there.:blush:

I think the easiest way to remove vinyl letters is with a vinyl eraser. It is a rubber disc that you chuck in a drill and erase the vinyl off the paint. I’ve used the one made by 3M on gel coat and it worked great. They specifically mention using it on marine paint in their literature.
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/?N=5002385+3293162209+3294857497&rt=rud

I’ve use a 3M vinyl eraser wheel on a rechargeable Dewalt drill on gel coat. Worked like a charm. Shouldn’t hurt the paint as they are used on cars too... Took the adhesive off also. I followed with wax/grease remover, 3M Finnese It and finally a good boat wax.

Another endorsement for the 3M Stripe-off wheel. Just used it a few weeks ago on my painted hull. I have no idea how my paint relates to yours, but it didn't damage mine at all. The wheel gets warm, but not hot. No hotter than a hair dryer would get.

Graphics removal

Have used a spray called Aircraft Decal Remover. Worked great on some 15+ year decals. Also used on more recent graphics. Do know know manufacturer or if still available, but if it is give it a try.

Stephen Starling
Stevedore

Well, aside from the more serious issue of cafe oil, which I hope to resolve very soon with the sage advice of members of this forum, I plan a vessel name change.

And prior to having the new graphics installed, I must obviously remove the old. I say old, though the current vinyl was only installed in 2016. And the boat has been stored indoors heated every winter since she was brand new off the factory floor.

I understand that removal from a gelcoat finish requires a certain procedure and products, but from paint is another matter. I presume that the task involves a hairdryer. But can anyone with such experience kindly share the benefits of that experience so that I don't damage my Alwcraft 2000 paint finish? Thanks.

With the same paint and probably same color (Claret), I elected to have the sign shop owner where the boat's new name was printed do the honors. She used a hair drier. DO NOT use sharp objects on this paint.

I have found that when using heat that once you can get a corner up try to extend the lip as wide as possible. Try to keep the vinyl pull as close to the original surface as possible. What I mean is if you were to fold the lip over onto the un-pulled surface and pull it as close to parallel with the unstuck vinyl as possible. You can only get so close as your fingers will be in the way. Pliers or gripping tools don't work. Don’t be greedy. Once you get a decent piece move back and forth across the tag pulling in slow short pulls. Wave the heat gun frequently and do not concentrate in one area. If your fingers are burning it’s probably too hot!

Back
Top Bottom