eXXpedition- cleaning up our oceans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cruiserChick

I discovered Exxpedition, an all-female research expedition to investigate the causes of and solutions to ocean plastic pollution. What an amazing experience for young women (or any women) around the world!

https://www.navionics.com/usa/blog/post/navionics-is-an-official-supplier-of-exxpedition

https://exxpedition.com/about/about-us/

Even if you can't actually go on the voyage there are ways to help them and/or follow along on their journey. I'd love to go but with a family including a toddler, I'll be one of the ones following along from home.

I'm not associated with this group, I just think it's a worthy cause. It would be awesome if all of us help spread the word.

Greetings,

Ms. CC. The actual cause of plastic pollution in the oceans AND the biosphere is a no brainer. The plastic is there because it is being overproduced, overused and disposed of in a non environmentally friendly manner.

Take a look at ANY industry and plastic is being used. Take a look in your cupboards at home. Those commodities that used to be marketed in glass or metal containers are now sold in plastic. Reason? IT'S CHEAPER!!!!!

Soda pop, cleaning supplies, engine oil, drinking containers, take out foods, bread...The list is endless. EVERYTHING is packaged in plastic. ONE USE PLASTIC with few to no mechanisms for recycling.

I can remember when I was a kid, there were paper and bottle drives. The paper and glass was collected and sold to be recycled. Tons and tons of material would be piled up in the schoolyard. Those tons did NOT go to landfill. It was a valuable commodity that was profitable to be re-used. Not so with plastic items. Plastic is so cheap to produce it gets thrown away and yup, you guessed it eventually ends up being examined by those young women who pay the owners of "Exxpidition" upwards of $10K to search for the cause of this pollution.

Sorry to be so cynical but as in any endeavor, Follow the $$. The website notes 300 women are being offered these cruises. You do the math $10K X 300? That's $3 million. $3 mil' to find an answer that is staring you in the face? Probably a trip of a lifetime for these women but please don't put on a self righteous front and say you're doing something about the problem.

Yes. I'm completely guilty as well. I can be anal and collect every scrap of plastic I can get my hands on but it would be a very, very, very small drop in the bucket compared to the output of even a small factory producing plastics. The solution HAS to begin at the governmental level. Ban plastic containers. THEN start cleaning up the environment. Bring back the glass pop and milk bottles the tin oil cans and the paper shopping bag.

Humblest apologies for the rant...Done.

Reactions: Art
Via PM, RT will know why I post here to continue receiving posts on this thread.

Greetings,

Ms. CC. The actual cause of plastic pollution in the oceans AND the biosphere is a no brainer. The plastic is there because it is being overproduced, overused and disposed of in a non environmentally friendly manner.

Take a look at ANY industry and plastic is being used. Take a look in your cupboards at home. Those commodities that used to be marketed in glass or metal containers are now sold in plastic. Reason? IT'S CHEAPER!!!!!

Soda pop, cleaning supplies, engine oil, drinking containers, take out foods, bread...The list is endless. EVERYTHING is packaged in plastic. ONE USE PLASTIC with few to no mechanisms for recycling.

I can remember when I was a kid, there were paper and bottle drives. The paper and glass was collected and sold to be recycled. Tons and tons of material would be piled up in the schoolyard. Those tons did NOT go to landfill. It was a valuable commodity that was profitable to be re-used. Not so with plastic items. Plastic is so cheap to produce it gets thrown away and yup, you guessed it eventually ends up being examined by those young women who pay the owners of "Exxpidition" upwards of $10K to search for the cause of this pollution.

Sorry to be so cynical but as in any endeavor, Follow the $$. The website notes 300 women are being offered these cruises. You do the math $10K X 300? That's $3 million. $3 mil' to find an answer that is staring you in the face? Probably a trip of a lifetime for these women but please don't put on a self righteous front and say you're doing something about the problem.

Yes. I'm completely guilty as well. I can be anal and collect every scrap of plastic I can get my hands on but it would be a very, very, very small drop in the bucket compared to the output of even a small factory producing plastics. The solution HAS to begin at the governmental level. Ban plastic containers. THEN start cleaning up the environment. Bring back the glass pop and milk bottles the tin oil cans and the paper shopping bag.

Humblest apologies for the rant...Done.

Happy to read the rant....but where's the usual snappy gif ?

Greetings,
Mr. b1. OK. I'll bite.

Sorry, no "snappy" gif. Much too serious a subject to joke about. NO humor involved or associated with a subject that REALLY p*sses me off.

Edit: I had another long winded rant composed and ready to post but I won't. Y'all really don't want to read it. Re-read the article I posted above by Ms. Nabongo. She understands what the REAL problem is.

Last edited:
“Save Earth’s Ecosystem”

Full-Cycle, Carbon Neutral – Gasoline, Diesel and Jet Fuel

EARTH Our Home Is On Fire! – Global Warming Must Be Reversed!!

21st Century high-tech fuel breakthroughs will enable vehicles to run strong while we replenish Earth’s ecosystem.

Full-Cycle, Carbon Neutral, atmospheric CO2 based gasoline, diesel and jet fuels can be made available for everyone.

To sustain Earth’s lifegiving and life supporting ecosphere, humanity must now begin successful ecosystem rehabilitations.

Intricately designed airflow corridors and passive solar heat structures reveal ambient air’s expansive airflow capabilities. Correctly utilized solar heated airflow is a “clean” Hercules of Earth’s natural properties. Automatic ambient air replenished airflow corridors can produce uniquely channeled air movements that provide capability to alter atmospheric content. Solar heat transmitting fabrics and other material designs create internal airflow speed adjustments while enabling air pressure manipulations; filtered air exhaust is the outcome. Clean to operate, solar heat powered SolarAir™ “Air Movers”, will turbine generate electricity, harness potable water and greatly help to accomplish industrial scale separations of atmospheric CO2.

A civilization lifesaving agenda now needs to be accomplished. Humanity needs to unilaterally move in healthful directions that can “Save Earth’s Ecosystem”. International leaders must form agreements that enable humanity to now enact several levels of pollution remediation and abatements that enable ecosystem restoration. Earth’s crumbling life support systems require emergency triage. Not acting immediately places humanity’s future is in peril.

Runaway population count, exponential fossil fuel use and untethered increased food source manipulations ushered in Earth’s atmospheric carbon dioxide overload. Elevated CO2 parts per million [PPM] are the leading cause of global warming and sea life depleting ocean acidification. Ecosystem deteriorations are multiplying. Seasonal weather patterns are changing. Massive storms, prolonged droughts and extreme temperatures are too often occurring. These climate abnormalities will continue to multiply; many with increasing intensity. Acidic oceans’ and decimated forests’ food chains are crumbling. Life form extinction rates are accelerating past the point of ecosystem stability. In addition, and of grave concern; an explosion of untethered plastic and other “human made” material “dumping” is choking the life out of Earth’s seas and beaches and birds. If not correctly abated [humanly acted upon to stop and reverse their growth], combinations of these environmentally destructive factors will greatly impinge humanity’s future.

We can utilize 21st Century high-tech capabilities to enable ecosystem-cooperative outcomes! Humans created this predicament; humans can [need to and must] correct it! Planet temperatures have to be regulated. During civilization’s period of industrialization, a non regulated global temperature “change” was forced to occurr; making Earth too hot. We can reverse this.

Among several other primary “Save Earth Ecosystem” events needing enactment, as collective cooling features that cooperatively operate within Earth’s ecosphere, to replenish environmental conditions and rebalance ocean pH levels; a global industry of liquid hydrocarbon, Full-Cycle, Carbon Neutral fuels need to be made available. Proportioned mixtures of these new source Full-Cycle, Carbon Neutral liquid fuels and non-cyclical, carbon positive fossil fuels [specifically crude oils] will enable atmospheric CO2 PPM to be brought back to levels that satisfy Earth’s ecosystem stability requirements. For economies to remain strong, while simultaneously resuscitating Earth’s ecospheric conditions, civilization’s two billion combustion engines need to proportionally run on Full-Cycle, Carbon Neutral diesel, gasoline and jet fuels. Atmospheric CO2 is Full-Cycle fuels’ base ingredient.

Human produced overload of CO2 in atmosphere is the initial solar-heat absorbing element that began global warming. CO2 induced warmth developed “feed-ons”; i.e., physical alterations to Earth’s temperature regulating natural elements whose material state correlate to one another’s size and placement. Melting glaciers and retreating sea ice expose dark, solar heat absorbing surfaces. Due to global warming, increasing humidity absorbs heat. Melting permafrost emits CO2 and other solar heat absorbing gasses. Interactive warming factors [ongoing events] throughout Earth’s surface contents have reached a nearly perpetual temperature increase rate of advancements. “Our” Earth’s environment is experiencing “The Perfect Storm”.

To cool-down Earth: Atmospheric CO2 PPM overload is one of the main factors that humanity can adjust. Productive use of CO2, for new source energy and other products, will enable civilization to work with nature. Warming effects of “feed-ons” will be reversed by Earth’s natural means of reestablishing their temperature regulating physical contents and seasonal patterns.

Humans must soon accomplish massive reductions of atmospheric CO2 PPM. In addition to Full-Cycle, Carbon Neutral fuels there is need to accomplish industrial scale CO2 sequestrations, around the globe. Stored CO2 will be used for many products; well into and perhaps beyond the 22nd Century.

This endeavor contains the largest funding, business development, employment increase and life-sustaining opportunities in history. Efforts to “Save Earth’s Ecosphere” can healthfully propel civilization through our 21st Century and into the 22nd!

EARTH – Our Home – Is On Fire! Global Warming Must Be Reversed!!

Sincerely,

Art

Last edited:
I'd take them more seriously if they weren't limiting their labor force and brain trust to 50% of the worlds population in order to make some sort of political statement. Do you want the best and brightest working on your project or are you only interested in them if they are women?

As the father of two sons, one in college and one about to enter college, who are both outstanding students in STEM fields this stuff really gets my goat. It's out of control, over the top foolishness. Yes, we absolutely need more bright young women to go into STEM. We also need more bright young men to go into STEM. Our country has gotten so caught up in what sounds good, that we are driving the train off the tracks. The number of scholarships and opportunities for women in STEM far, far outweighs those offered to men at this point.

Also, I spearhead three plastic cleanups a year for my company in the Florida Keys, I may even do 5 this year. We get close to 100 volunteers per event and have picked up tens of thousands of pounds of plastic in the last few years. The biggest culprit, by far, is commercial fishing waste. Nets, floats, traps, trap line is everywhere. I honestly don't pick up all that many bottles any more, though they exist, no doubt.

Another big issue is micro plastics. You should see how many cigarette butts we pick up in Key West, it's disgusting.

Greetings,
Mr. D. Good for you regarding the plastic clean up BUT I'm pretty sure you'd agree, as I mentioned above (post #2) even your tons or even tens of thousands of tons is a small drop in the bucket compared to the output of a small manufacturing plant.

Again, as noted in my linked article, numerous nations have outright banned plastic bag use or even possession of same. It can be done with all single use plastics IMO. It's ultimately going to cost consumers more because the added cost for manufacturers to package goods in non plastics will be passed onto the end user but isn't it worth the short term grief?

Woe upon the politician(s) who enact such laws. They will become VERY unpopular VERY quickly.

I hear ya about the STEM imbalance. Same thing goes for "visible minorities" in some situations. Hopefully, at some point an equilibrium will be reached and the playing field will even out allowing the best and brightest to compete without bias, one way or the other.

It will take cooperative ecosystem restoration efforts throughout all societies and gender and religions and races and nationalities... etc, etc. in order to "Save Earth's Ecosystem".

- Properly coordinated this all consuming global effort can launch humanity onto our next levels of improvements.
- Properly coordinated civilization can experience a bright future.
- Properly coordinated our descendants will live comfortably and fully.

- - > Improperly coordinated humans could reach extinction... along with the hundreds of thousands other lifeforms we will have helped make to become extinct.

"Save Earth's Ecosystem" can be accomplished. We as a nation, by working alongside other nations, can lead the accomplishment launch that must be global in its range.

The future looks bright if we are bright enough to see our way to it!

Art

Of but for a recommendation button

Greetings,
Mr. D. Good for you regarding the plastic clean up BUT I'm pretty sure you'd agree, as I mentioned above (post #2) even your tons or even tens of thousands of tons is a small drop in the bucket compared to the output of a small manufacturing plant.

Again, as noted in my linked article, numerous nations have outright banned plastic bag use or even possession of same. It can be done with all single use plastics IMO. It's ultimately going to cost consumers more because the added cost for manufacturers to package goods in non plastics will be passed onto the end user but isn't it worth the short term grief?

Woe upon the politician(s) who enact such laws. They will become VERY unpopular VERY quickly.

I hear ya about the STEM imbalance. Same thing goes for "visible minorities" in some situations. Hopefully, at some point an equilibrium will be reached and the playing field will even out allowing the best and brightest to compete without bias, one way or the other.

I would have hit the button twice. The heading should have read "oh, but for a recommendation button.". Edit doesn't allows for correcting the heading.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. A. Fully agree. We're doomed!

RT - You and I agree on many things... Of that I am pleased!

However, I do not agree that "We're doomed"

What I visualize is opportunity for the greatest global success story ever to be realized. Its successful outcome could elevate humanity onto the next plateau of civilization's improvement.

WWII, Vietnam and other wars represented groups of peoples or nations fighting against one another. Killing off each other.

This war to "Save Earth's Ecosystem" is all nations fighting together against the potential of global human extinction. This war can create camaraderie and brotherhood such as never before experienced. This war is very different, in that its intent is not to kill any humans... but rather, for the first time in history its intent is to to save all humans! This war is just and correct for everyone. This war is universally winnable! :thumb:

The actual cause of plastic pollution in the oceans AND the biosphere is a no brainer.

Asia.

Greetings,
Mr. A. The whole world working together? Hell man! I want some of that stuff YOU'RE smoking. We're doomed. It will be too little too late.

Mr. l. "Asia"? Partially but as noted again in the article I linked it's pretty well everyone. Real easy to point fingers while abrogating your OWN responsibility.

Greetings,
Mr. A. The whole world working together? Hell man! I want some of that stuff YOU'RE smoking. We're doomed. It will be too little too late.

RT - My TF buddy! We [the world] need positive, optimistic energy!!

Optimism for advancement of technologies is the human mental energy that got our "house" Planet Earth into this death defying, eco-systemic and eco-disastrous predicament.

Optimism for successful eco-reparative, eco-action advancements is the human energy that can get us out of this predicament.

During this new wave of human optimism-energy to "Save Earth's Ecosystem" our world's civilization can accomplish more good for societies than ever before offered or available. That includes more electric power, more new source fuels, more employment, more money, more food sources and very importantly - more good climate/weather decades to live in!

In general: Inertia of non bending, entrenched "Business As Usual" [BAU] currently runs our world. Momentum from mass population agreements needs to create momentum that can bend BAU into positions that will actually salvage Earth's biosphere before all hell breaks loose and our "Home's" living-environment conditions crumble.

Analogies:

1. Doctor tells someone the chances of them living with the cancer they have is 99% on the negative side. But, if they want to... they can address that 01% chance with a bunch of simultaneous cures that just may save their life. And, if successful their future life will be better than they ever imagined it could. What should the decision be for that person? I know what my decision would be.

2. We're 50 miles offshore in a boat and suddenly, unexpedly the weather turns real bad. Soon in the surprise storm there is such rough water that items are being ripped off the boat. Boat is taking on water. Pumps fail. Generator quits. One engine of two stalls out. Port salon window gets crushed in from rogue beam wave. But... we're still afloat, everyone is bailing like crazy, mechanic is furiously working on stalled engine. Captain seems to somehow be able to still handle the waves, however it sure looks like we'll never make it to port. But, there is always that slim chance that we will survive! Well, if I were on that boat, I surely would continue doing everything I can to help us all survive. And, I will always keep my optimism up to and including my last breath!

The alternative is to throw our hands in the air and go down with the ship... without giving it our all. That alternative is absolutely, unconditionally unacceptable!

So how much difference will it make to our oceans if/when we ban ALL plastic?
I tend to disagree with blanket bans of any damaging materials. It's not the material itself that is the problem or will be the solution but rather its application, use and reuse/ recycle ability.
I'm not a chemist or chem E but wonder if we couldn't impose restrictions that required any plastic container or packaging to be easily recyclable... and require a min % that packaging HAD to contain min% of recycled material or a fee imposed that was dedicated to support recycling.
I'm hearing that paper recycling is not doing well... no uses / buyers - why cant paper bags be made from recycled paper products vs trees. I'm old enough to remember paper bags and the tree hugger rants and demonstrations that caused us to switch to plastic.

ART, you and those that agree with you should lead by example. Stay a member on TF to share your boating knowledge but let us know you have sold your polluting boat, cars and stopped heating your home, walk everywhere because even a bicycle manufacturing pollutes. That will be your contribution to save the earth. Others will follow your noble example.

Recently, students around the world held a strike and shamed those that drove their cars past their strike. Interviewed they were asked where they live and how they got to where they are standing.

As for this expedition, did Greta lead the parade. Last I heard she set sail back home.

Global warming terminology failed and now it is called Climate Change which is more accurate. However, the climate throughout history has changed many times before we that are here had anything to do with those changes.
Be a sheep and follow or lead by example.

I saw the documentary "Freightened" the other day, and while it's a tad enthusiastic in its trashing of the maritime shipping industry, it did shock me a few times with statistics. Point being, how we move all this plastic stuff around the globe with monster container ships burning bunker fuel is probably a more pressing issue:

https://www.freightened.com/the-film/

Last edited:
ART, you and those that agree with you should lead by example. Stay a member on TF to share your boating knowledge but let us know you have sold your polluting boat, cars and stopped heating your home, walk everywhere because even a bicycle manufacturing pollutes. That will be your contribution to save the earth. Others will follow your noble example.

Recently, students around the world held a strike and shamed those that drove their cars past their strike. Interviewed they were asked where they live and how they got to where they are standing.

As for this expedition, did Greta lead the parade. Last I heard she set sail back home.

Global warming terminology failed and now it is called Climate Change which is more accurate. However, the climate throughout history has changed many times before we that are here had anything to do with those changes.
Be a sheep and follow or lead by example.

Dear Soo

You know not how much I purposely do not run the engines in our boat. Neither do you know how few miles per year I purposefully drive. Be careful whose toes you attempt to step on. Are you perchance feeling guilts regarding your own usages of equipment?

The secret of correcting current imbalances to Earth's heavily afflicted ecosphere is not to stop all of civilizations doings/activities in their tracks; as that would create chaos, gross unemployment hardships, economic collapses, starvations and massive wars. But rather, the secret is to create new and cleaner full-cycle products that have clean manufacturing ways to substantively assist in the reconstitution of nature's conditions; while very importantly... keeping societies well functioning during nature's improvements.

Another item you do not know about me: Working along with universities and government divisions - I have background and decades of development into ways for globally establishing access to Full-Cycle, Carbon Neutral liquid hydrocarbon fuels. This product line is one big piece to the global puzzle of "Save Earth's Ecosystem", while keeping civilization alive and productive.

With sincerity,

Art

Last edited:
EARTH Our Home Is On Fire! – Global Warming Must Be Reversed!

Whoa, whoa, whoa....uhm, it was originally called “global warming”. Remember, Fat Al got riiiiiiiich making up lies about it. But then....oops...things cooled off. What’s a person to do? Why re-name it “climate change”! Brilliant!

Pssst...they learned and re-named it something more general, more forgiving of the lies. It’s a cult. A cult designed to take money from the citizens so governments can more easily re-distribute it and thereby control the masses.

Art, Had you made that caveat in your initial post I would not have bothered with a response. Whether you run your engine for a season or one minute, you are contributing to what you claim to be a problem.
As I posted I am tired of the hypocrites who preach global warming and don't you burn fossil fuels while either driving or taking a bus to their protest.
As for stepping on your toes, I don't give a ****, you have a beautiful boat which is offensive to the Climate Change warriors.
My name is Steve, not Soo.

...The secret of correcting current imbalances to Earth's heavily afflicted ecosphere is not to stop all of civilizations doings/activities in their tracks; as that would create chaos, gross unemployment hardships, economic collapses, starvations and massive wars. But rather, the secret is to create new and cleaner full-cycle products that have clean manufacturing ways....

With sincerity,

Art
I accept Earth has a problem. We burn more fossil fuels,we create pollution, we alter land use, etc, to satisfy the needs and wants of an ever increasing population. Which the UN says doubled in the last 50 years. Can we really expect Earth to cope with that, with no detrimental effects? Of course not.
Farmers know how many sheep or cattle per acre farmland can support. Same with people, the number of people Earth can support is not infinite.
The solutions most advocate are little more than fiddling at the edges. The solution is population. Stabilization, or better still, reduction. Yes, there will be unpleasant consequences, but on balance it will be better. You can trace many ills, like pollution,warming, territorial disputes,the conversion of forest to farmland, overfishing, the need to migrate, etc,back to excess population.
It`s not something Government can do. It`s up to people. They either decide to limit population, or let what is happening proceed to its unpleasant conclusion. My guess is people won`t change anything and will increasingly overpopulate the Earth. With unfortunate consequences I hope and expect I won`t be here to see.

Greetings,
Mr. l. Re: post #17. Pretty damning evidence I agree but let's take this one step further just for S&G.

I'll start with Indonesia. https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2019-10-25/plastic-pollution-waste-recycling-indonesia What eventually ends up in the waterways is plastic waste the Indonesian recyclers have no way to treat. From the above article, mention is made of the domestic plastic problem that exacerbates the imported plastics so the Indonesians are not blameless themselves. The mechanism for treating certain types of plastic waste (water bottles, shopping bags etc.) simply does not exist in that country. It seems to me that it is also non existent in the countries that send their waste to Indonesia, one of which, specifically mentioned is the USA. So it seems it's cheaper to export plastic waste from the US than to treat it "in house".

OK, China, the largest ocean plastic polluter: From this article: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/28/technology/china-food-delivery-trash.html

"People in China still generate less plastic waste, per capita, than Americans. But researchers estimate that nearly three-quarters of China’s plastic waste ends up in inadequately managed landfills or out in the open, where it can easily make its way into the sea. More plastic enters the world’s oceans from China than from any other country. Plastic can take centuries to break down undersea. Recyclers manage to return some of China’s plastic trash into usable form to feed the nation’s factories. The country recycles around a quarter of its plastic, government statistics show, compared with less than 10 percent in the United States."

So, like Indonesia, China imports plastic waste from the "wealthy nations", as well and I suspect some of this imported waste is unable to be re-used similar to Indonesia's situation.

So, Asia IS the "bad guy" but, I think I used my term "...abrogating your OWN responsibility." properly.

If you can’t get a human to even pick up his own waste, can’t stop him from killing his next-door neighbour or a school full of kids, can’t stop him from throwing his beer bottles out his car window, can’t stop him from setting fire to forests for fun, can’t stop him from catching and selling the last tuna fish in a Tokyo fish market, keeps dumping barges of garbage in the sea; in the West we only just stopped killing whales for perfume 60 years or so ago. The Asians still do.

The only reason we haven’t killed all our neighbours is because their pile of nuclear weapons is as big as ours.

Good luck. I say enjoy it all while it lasts.

If you can’t get a human to even pick up his own waste, can’t stop him from killing his next-door neighbour or a school full of kids, can’t stop him from throwing his beer bottles out his car window, can’t stop him from setting fire to forests for fun, can’t stop him from catching and selling the last tuna fish in a Tokyo fish market, keeps dumping barges of garbage in the sea; in the West we only just stopped killing whales for perfume 60 years or so ago. The Asians still do.

The only reason we haven’t killed all our neighbours is because their pile of nuclear weapons is as big as ours.

Good luck. I say enjoy it all while it lasts.

Unfortunate group of truisms. However, to stop trying to accomplish improvements for the good of humanity/civilization is simply unacceptable!

Greetings,
Mr. A. Nope. Can't stop trying on a personal level but trying to convince more than a handful of the worth of your efforts is...

200.webp

It is a Human feature to overestimate our importance in the context of geologic time.

In a landmark paper published in 1982, Jack Sepkoski and David M. Raup identified five mass extinctions. They were originally identified as outliers to a general trend of decreasing extinction rates during the Phanerozoic,[6] but as more stringent statistical tests have been applied to the accumulating data, it has been established that multicellular animal life has experienced five major and many minor mass extinctions.[7]

The "Big Five" cannot be so clearly defined, but rather appear to represent the largest (or some of the largest) of a relatively smooth continuum of extinction events.[6]

Ordovician–Silurian extinction events (End Ordovician or O–S): 450–440 Ma (million years ago) at the Ordovician–Silurian transition. Two events occurred that killed off 27% of all families, 57% of all genera and 60% to 70% of all species.[8] Together they are ranked by many scientists as the second largest of the five major extinctions in Earth's history in terms of percentage of genera that became extinct.

Late Devonian extinction: 375–360 Ma near the Devonian–Carboniferous transition. At the end of the Frasnian Age in the later part(s) of the Devonian Period, a prolonged series of extinctions eliminated about 19% of all families, 50% of all genera[8] and at least 70% of all species.[9] This extinction event lasted perhaps as long as 20 million years, and there is evidence for a series of extinction pulses within this period.

Permian–Triassic extinction event (End Permian): 252 Ma at the Permian–Triassic transition.[10] Earth's largest extinction killed 57% of all families, 83% of all genera and 90% to 96% of all species[8] (53% of marine families, 84% of marine genera, about 96% of all marine species and an estimated 70% of land species,[3] including insects).[11] The highly successful marine arthropod, the trilobite, became extinct. The evidence regarding plants is less clear, but new taxa became dominant after the extinction.[12]

The "Great Dying" had enormous evolutionary significance: on land, it ended the primacy of mammal-like reptiles. The recovery of vertebrates took 30 million years,[13] but the vacant niches created the opportunity for archosaurs to become ascendant. In the seas, the percentage of animals that were sessile dropped from 67% to 50%. The whole late Permian was a difficult time for at least marine life, even before the "Great Dying".

Triassic–Jurassic extinction event (End Triassic): 201.3 Ma at the Triassic–Jurassic transition. About 23% of all families, 48% of all genera (20% of marine families and 55% of marine genera) and 70% to 75% of all species became extinct.[8] Most non-dinosaurian archosaurs, most therapsids, and most of the large amphibians were eliminated, leaving dinosaurs with little terrestrial competition. Non-dinosaurian archosaurs continued to dominate aquatic environments, while non-archosaurian diapsids continued to dominate marine environments. The Temnospondyl lineage of large amphibians also survived until the Cretaceous in Australia (e.g., Koolasuchus).

Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event (End Cretaceous, K–Pg extinction, or formerly K–T extinction): 66 Ma at the Cretaceous (Maastrichtian) – Paleogene (Danian) transition interval.[14] The event formerly called the Cretaceous-Tertiary or K–T extinction or K–T boundary is now officially named the Cretaceous–Paleogene (or K–Pg) extinction event. About 17% of all families, 50% of all genera[8] and 75% of all species became extinct.[15] In the seas all the ammonites, plesiosaurs and mosasaurs disappeared and the percentage of sessile animals (those unable to move about) was reduced to about 33%. All non-avian dinosaurs became extinct during that time.[16] The boundary event was severe with a significant amount of variability in the rate of extinction between and among different clades. Mammals and birds, the latter descended from theropod dinosaurs, emerged as dominant large land animals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_event

Meanwhile:

2019 OK[a] is a near-Earth asteroid noted for its sudden, surprise discovery on the day before its close flyby in 2019.[4]

The object's size is estimated at 57 to 130 metres (187 to 426 ft) across, the closest asteroid of such size discovered in 2019.[5] It is uncommon for asteroids of this size to pass within 100,000 km (62,000 mi) of Earth.

Discovery[edit]

The first valid detection occurred on 24 July 2019, when it was 0.01 AU (1,500,000 km; 930,000 mi) from Earth and had an apparent magnitude of 14.7.[6] The full moon on 16 July 2019 slowed down the discovery rate during mid-July. The asteroid was detected by Cristóvão Jacques, Eduardo Pimentel and João Ribeiro at the SONEAR Observatory when it was very close to opposition (opposite the Sun in the sky) with a solar elongation of 170 degrees. About 10 hours later it was independently detected by ASAS-SN project in images from two of its telescopes, which allowed a preliminary determination of its orbit. It was subsequently listed on the Minor Planet Center's Near-Earth Object Confirmation Page (NEOCP) as S511618. The listing was confirmed and publicly announced as 2019 OK with three hours remaining before the 25 July 2019 closest approach.[6]

Various circumstances prevented an earlier discovery, despite the efforts to continuously hunt for such objects. The earlier appearance was not lost in the glare of the Sun, but was not favorable to survey instruments located in the Northern Hemisphere, due to its celestial direction in the constellation Capricornus and the bright moon. The Pan-STARRS1 telescope recorded an image of 2019 OK on 28 June 2019 when it was 0.39 AU (58,000,000 km; 36,000,000 mi) from Earth and had an apparent magnitude of 22.9[6]. Automatic analysis missed detecting the object in the Pan-STARRS image because the object was too faint. The Pan-STARRS1 telescope again saw the object on 7 July 2019 when the object was brighter with magnitude 21.2. However, because it was moving directly towards the observer, its apparent motion was extremely slow, with a rate of 0.01 degrees/day, and it was not recognized as a moving object.
[citation needed]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_OK

Hasn’t been a pandemic for a while…that’ll also knock us off our perch for a bit.

Don’t get me wrong, as I’m not suggesting we keep mucking along as we are. Crapping in your own nest doesn’t work long term. It’s just that there are bigger forces at play than we realize, and history shows these forces can be devastating.

Also, I’m a hopeful kind of guy. It’s my belief that there will be someone or some group that comes up with a technological solution. As I heard a Saudi official once say in explaining their investigations into alternative energy solutions, “The Stone Age didn’t end because they ran out of stones”.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom