KK 54 If so good, why so few?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bogranjac1

Thx to airstream for the posting the great pics and info on the KK54.
Just got me wondering - and this is not jealousy - because I love your boat and very happy for you
However, if so good why so few ?
An all time production of eight (8) only ????
Kind of surprised.

Last edited:
At the time the 54 were being built the 42 popularity really took off. One explanation I heard was that the small yard was switched over to 42 production to meet demand. I am sure the cost of the 54 was a factor too. The 54 is a great boat and we are very happy to be custodian to #1 of 8. I believe there are only 7 still around. The boat is built like a tank. Our boat has twin engines, one of two. They are Lehman 135’s which push the old girl along at hull speed whilst sipping diesel. The full displacement hull is sea kindly and the sails are surprisingly effective. They help as stabalizers, although mine has Niads too, but with a following sea and 15+ knots of wind add 1.5 knots to the speed or, as it was designed, you pull back on the rpms and maintain hull speed. The large master stateroom is in the middle of the boat which is a feature we like.

Paul Tunnicliffe
Ursa Major
KK54-001

The story I heard was that the mold broke when unmolding hull number 8. At that point the market had changed and the luxury tax had been introduced. Krogen decided not to make a new mold.

However, I can't find any documentary proof of this, so perhaps I was spun a yarn. Making 8 boats from 1987-92 is a pretty small production rate.

Richard

Last edited:
Unfortunately something being good doesn't always mean there's enough demand for it, especially if it's expensive to produce.

The story I heard was that the mold broke when unmolding hull number 8. At that point the market had changed and the luxury tax had been introduced. Krogen decided not to make a new mold.

However, I can't find any documentary proof of this, so perhaps I was spun a yarn. Making 8 boats from 1987-92 is a pretty small production rate.

Richard

It sounds as plausible as any other theory. I understood that the yard could only build about a dozen boats a year.#54-001 was late 87.

Paul
Ursa Major
KK54

And why not more of these?:

Attachments

• IMG_1595.jpg
    IMG_1595.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 94
It's a great question and one I've considered as well. It's an amazing boat and I have no idea why Krogen only made (sold) eight - perhaps the popularity of the KK42 made the semi-custom KK54 to narrowly focused on a specific buyer?

Frankly I'm not sure why they don't make the KK42 anymore either.

I was told by the folks at krogen that the infamous luxury tax was the primary cause. But that was in 2000 and there was no one left around even then who was directly involved with the line in the 80s or early 90s

I was told by the folks at krogen that the infamous luxury tax was the primary cause. But that was in 2000 and there was no one left around even then who was directly involved with the line in the 80s or early 90s
According to Wikipedia the 10% luxury tax that included boats over $100,000 was signed into law in November 1991.
Richard

Many vessels from that era, considered good, are no longer made. Improvements in design, materials, machinery and esthetics cover the KK and other builders lines.

I still like 57 Chevys, Sophia Loren and John Wayne. Times change, thank goodness.

I’ve talked to a bunch of folks about this and my understanding is that it’s a number of factors, for one yes I heard there was an issue with production capabilities (not sure if something broke or just capacity), but remember they were also about to release the 48 so lots going on. Second is that the cost on the 54 was sky high, the fully cored hull and decks w/ all foam, rigging, etc all added cost and at a time when Lux taxes were kicking in, I’m not sure it was a profitable boat. They were very over built, when we cut out my stern thruster holes we found 1.x” of fiber, core and another .75-1” of fiber. The thickness was surprising.
Lastly and maybe most impactful my understanding was the kk54 was Jim’s project/baby which is one of the reasons it’s good for tall people, he passed away 2 years after the last one was built I think and I’m not sure the sons had the same love of classic masted trawlers. I think the 38 sail was Jim’s other baby and was discontinued about the same time.
AC

Back
Top Bottom