Grand Banks vs. Monk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since the poster is in Florida...

There was a GB distributor in Florida that special ordered his own inventory.

These boats were usually single screw, with factory fiberglass decks. Most were Europas. Railing were stainless.

We have one, I looked a long time to find it.

All the maintenance comments are true, but newer sealants and coatings make maintaining the vessel much easier over time.

I also wanted a traditional look. The Europa pushed my hot button and it has been a very comfortable boat.

Not real big inside, very well built, easy to work on, quite beautiful when maintained.

The Lehman is a little noisier than a Cummins, and I worked for Cummins. But not that much. I think the 135 is a very good engine, mine should easily go 20k hours before overhaul, so we'll be long gone by then.

The velvet drive could be a weak link, but I can pull mine in under an hour and put it on the dock with a helper, no big deal.

With fiberglass decks fuel tank issues are significantly reduced if not eliminated. GBs have a very good gelcoat, so they almost always buff out to a nice shine.

The last note is Europas are going up in value. Few make it to brokers. So start walking the docks and asking around if that's what you want.

Review my blog, "grandbankschoices". You will see what I have done and am doing. Just installed twenty windows completely rebuilt with new glass. Major man hours but relatively easy work, just depends on your analness. I was guessing 15 man hours per window, but that maybe low. Waiting for a weather window to spray the final awlgrip color coat. Try to stay away from aluminum windows unless anodized. Once they start to go it is a constant battle.

Only thing I don't have and would like is a Stern thruster.

West coast boats tend to be cleaner than Gulf Coast boats. The water is saltier in the gulf, and that brings more electrolysis and corrosion. Gel coats deteriorate faster. Bottom growth is quicker. Also you get much more sun, and the boats get used more. Keeping a boat in perfect shape requires a shed or roof.

Good luck.

And if you want to see something REALLY ugly, take a look at one of the three GB66s that were made.* Two of them have been in our marina and once you've seen one (and apparently been on one as well), you realize why they only made three.

Oh my, that flybridge is a special kind of hideous.

6761727_0_260320181655_1-1030x687.jpg

I don't think that's quite a flybridge. I'm going with upper and lower pilothouse.

Oh, it gets more interesting, that's the only helm station, up there. Below is the galley.

6761727_0_260320181655_10-1030x718.jpg

Ok, so I'll revise my thought: the design is a VRPH (very raised pilothouse)

Sky Lounge!

Hey! I'm closing on a 1982 Monk 36--would love to pick your brain a bit about your experience if you don't mind!

Ok so what would you like to know? Feel free to send me a PM.

Back in 2003, we toured one of the 66's in Bellingham that Marin referred to. Indeed a very weird and unergonomic design. I had a hard time believing it really was a GB. Probably the assumption was that it would be crewed. Fast forward to today, and there are a number of modern motor yacht boats in that size range with only an upper station.

Thank You Marin for taking the time to post on this subject and although I have a CHB (1985 Clipper 34) - Tri-Cabin which I also/still enjoy very much, I found your post enlightening, interesting and very useful so I do appreciate the effort made.
Cheers and stay safe.
Ianmac

That GB 66 is really ugly.

The new Fleming 85 can be spec’d with an enclosed flybridge helm, so similar to the GB66, also converting the regular pilot house to a kitchen. Or you can spec the traditional Fleming layout with raised pilot house with open flybridge helm.

Here’s pictures of the enclosed flybridge version which is attractive, especially compared to the GB66. Setting back the flybridge makes a huge difference.

I still prefer the traditional open flybridge and that’s how I’d spec it! But these are no doubt pro captain and crew boats.

Attachments

• 037B347E-72BD-4210-9BEA-DE27D4F0188E.jpeg
    037B347E-72BD-4210-9BEA-DE27D4F0188E.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 33
  • A33BB912-4B5A-45B2-B6B3-114449A9B0C0.jpeg
    A33BB912-4B5A-45B2-B6B3-114449A9B0C0.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 2CF14E5F-6D3E-4B88-B3C0-D358EDBD943F.jpeg
    2CF14E5F-6D3E-4B88-B3C0-D358EDBD943F.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Thank You Marin for taking the time to post on this subject

This is an old thread, alas Marin has left the forum a few years ago now. This is a pity as his posts usually resulted in some lively discussions.

Thank You Marin for taking the time to post on this subject

This is an old thread, alas Marin has left the forum a few years ago now. This is a pity as his posts usually resulted in some lively discussions.

Boy... Say Howdy! Did they ever!! I'll say no more regarding Marin!

I found a Monk Roughwater 42 while looking for a Grand Banks, we like the character of the Monk and are currently in negotiations and inspections for purchase..

Back
Top Bottom