Bought a Kadey Krogen 54

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From Kadey-Krogen.com

A truly serious bluewater vessel that proved Krogen’s capability all around the world. Comfort and a distinctive pilothouse profile set her apart.

8 built 1987—1991

I believe we have several KK 54 owners on this chat. I have 54-001 , I know Arthur and Steven and he have communicated. Perhaps we can share ideas, successes and learning opportunities with one another? Arthur has been very generous epithet his experiences and I have tried to reciprocate with my projects. Please PM me.
Best,
Paul

Great idea. I wonder how many of us are on facebook? It would be easy to setup a group. We could also ask for a sub-group on Krogen Cruisers.

Thoughts?

A truly serious bluewater vessel that proved Krogen’s capability all around the world. Comfort and a distinctive pilothouse profile set her apart.

8 built 1987—1991

They are pretty amazing vessels and yes, only 8 made. Paul (who posted earlier) has hull #1, we have hull #8. So far I've connected with half the fleet. I wonder where the other half is?

It would be amazing to get them all together.

It’s great for docking as you can see the ends easily. Nice to motor sail from there too.

Can't wait to try both. The PO said he used it once and then never took the cover off again other than to clean and re-fill propane. I prefer to drive from the PH but have to admit, on a nice day that would be the place to enjoy the weather and scenery.

Congratulations! Keep us posted on your transition!

Jim

You can check out the KK54 layout of this sister boat on YouTube

Congratulations on your purchase!

That's my KK54 in the video - she's hull #5, built in 1988.

I've not been active on this forum for quite a while so I'm just catching up now. I'm happy to join the small group of KK54 owners and share notes.

Richard
m/v Stillwater

It was quite the treat to have participated in bringing the new owners to KK54-08 and follow them all the way back through the locks and into Lake Union. She is quite the vessel and will make for an excellent platform for their new adventures!

And it's not every day an owner asks you to wake them from behind and circle around to the front!

It was quite the treat to have participated in bringing the new owners to KK54-08 and follow them all the way back through the locks and into Lake Union. She is quite the vessel and will make for an excellent platform for their new adventures!

And it's not every day an owner asks you to wake them from behind and circle around to the front!

Here's something you'll never see on TF - THANK YOU FOR WAKING US! I mean, we ALL wanted to see how she handled a following sea and a head sea!

Thanks for all the fun and hospitality!

Last edited:
Larry - glad you posted. I watched that video countless times when researching ours. So many little differences. I'm down to the bay area often for work. Perhaps we can connect sometime.

I did setup a FB group as way to find and connect with owners. Let me know if you're interested. Not everyone is a FB fan so if we find that's not the best place we could also ask the mods here to setup a very tiny sub forum - for all 8 of us!

I like analog gauges and tac and duel lever engine control. Alas, my AT has digital read outs and a single lever engine control.
That KK is old enough to still have the analog gauges.
Easier to see trends and a place to put a piece of red tape for the max.
All analog read outs are designed to run in the center 2/3s of the gauge.

He Steven, can I post video of the waking incident?

Great video, someone mentioned why Krogen dosen't start building the 42 again, that also goes for the Manatee 36 the roomest 36 layout ever.
What is the vertical clearance on the 54 ?

I seem to recall it's 38'. I haven't been under a bridge that is even close to that low so I haven't really checked.

Before doing this run, we checked and double checked with the skipper, that a proper waking from all around was requested. No boats or occupants were harmed during this procedure - an no other boats were in the near vicinity. Waking boat was scooting along at WOT.

Great video, someone mentioned why Krogen dosen't start building the 42 again, that also goes for the Manatee 36 the roomest 36 layout ever.
What is the vertical clearance on the 54 ?[/

Well, I’d guess the reason is that the 42 wide body led to the 44, and then to the 44 AE and so on. Not as affordable but sure is a nice boat. As for the Manatee 36, it’s renowned statement for majestic style, sleek profile and hair-in-the wind performance has obviously been fulfilled by its offspring, yes, the parodical son....the Krogen 49 & 52 Express.:socool::hide:

Attachments

• CAD5159F-DCCC-44E1-B1DD-5C2BC2A679EF.jpeg
    CAD5159F-DCCC-44E1-B1DD-5C2BC2A679EF.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
We measured ours at 37'. For safety and peace of mind, we decided to open any bridge 40' or lower. There was a little pucker factor as we passed underneath the Salmon Bay railroad bridge at high tide (41') coming into the Ballard Locks but it slide underneath just fine.

The only bridge we needed to open was the Freemont Bridge at 30'. I'm sure that will get old but that first time it was sort of fun to blow the horn to raise the bridge.

I too have wondered why the KK42 was discontinued (replaced by the KK44 and the KK39). Market changes I'd imagine (slightly larger, slightly smaller).

The one thing we couldn't get over on the 42 was the forward master bed. Having come from a "pullmen" (?) style mid ship master. I know they made a few midship masters but they are far and few.

We're loving the walk around mid-ship queen in our 54, especially at 3:00am ;)

Last edited:
Geesh, that Alaskan sure can throw a wake, but let’s face facts here. It can run rings around that 54.:hide:

And restart production of the Nordhavn 46 or 47.

And while we’re running circles in Puget Sound, Big Fortitude will be running around the world!

Here's something you'll never see on TF - THANK YOU FOR WAKING US! I mean, we ALL wanted to see how she handled a following sea and a head sea!

Thanks for all the fun and hospitality!

That's like people complaining of rough seas for a sea trial. Key word is "trial" and we want to know what it will do in rough seas. If we don't have them, we'll make them ourselves and all those who will potentially yell about wakes should do a wake trial because sometime in one's ownership you'll get waked just like in the videos shown here.

That's like people complaining of rough seas for a sea trial. Key word is "trial" and we want to know what it will do in rough seas. If we don't have them, we'll make them ourselves and all those who will potentially yell about wakes should do a wake trial because sometime in one's ownership you'll get waked just like in the videos shown here.

:thumb::thumb::iagree:

Likewise, I've learned that its good to do your survey when it's raining out. The harder the better. It'll help you find leaks!

Fun to see you in the locks on Friday, brought her in like a pro!

Great looking boat!

Attachments

• Krogen54locks.jpg
    Krogen54locks.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Krogen54underway.jpg
    Krogen54underway.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 88
That's a properly salty looking vessel, right there.

Even the lock operator could see you without looking over the edge.
Great boat.
Soooo, who crawls up the mast rigging and stands in the crow's nest?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom