We bought a Trawler! OMG!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And all those Amazon boxes...��

We'll go with fun for now, though when I’m at the helm and docking I need no spousal “back seat” chatter or I can get a little testy.

Open up a secret checking account with no statements. Never discuss cost of anything with your wife. Every time you walk in the house with a box or USPS drops a package off, just say "It's for the boat"

If she pins you down just explain how the new depth finder is so much safer and provides much more information the the one you just bought 6 months ago. Use a lot of words like beam shifting and trilateral frequencies. Should derail any questions about cost. Deflection is way more important skill than docking in gale force winds.

I feel like this is sentiment only shared when a spouse is a 'reluctant boater'. For that, and the need for subterfuge I have the upmost sympathy.

I don’t remember where I copied this from, but it works for me...

Attachments

• 9F654238-8434-40D9-A5B2-58B8DEF42796.jpeg
    9F654238-8434-40D9-A5B2-58B8DEF42796.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 398
I am the wife.

Wifey B: The smart professor. :D

Now, as I'm pretty sure unless it's rained a lot recently, there's no ocean in Chapel Hill, where are you keeping your boat? :rolleyes:

You mentioned islands. Again, you have me curious. Bahamas? I didn't figure you had your sights set on Bermuda. Or are you referring to some of the Outer Banks?

Welcome aboard. Always makes me happy to have another woman here. :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Your vacuumflush is cycling because the seal and the clam shell are leaking.

You can try one of the new and improved round toilet brushes, hold the foot valve and use the brush to scour both the edges of the clam shell and the gasket.

If you have a green build up, pour some CP, actually stands for clean potty (west marine or amazon)into the blow with minimal water, let is set for more than a few hours and then scrub the clam shell edges again. Watch the gre en stain on the clam shell disappear.

If that doesn't work, time to get the parts to rebuild it. Take the collar off at the base of the bowl and you will find the necessary model number to you can order the proper parts. Once you have the necessary parts, you can either try to do it yourself or have a knowledgable boating friend show you the "how".

Nice

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your new trawler. I'm still looking to replace my Egg Harbor so I envy you. Looks like I may be seriously looking for a Mainship 350/390 hmmm?;)

Capt.Joe

While you have everything torn down might as well change out the duck valves too.
With the advent of phones that take pictures, use this to your advantage. Take pics before you disassemble, while you are disassembly and use the pictures to 'reassemble in the reverse order.'

Vac u flush

I had one that kept recycling, went through the usual, bellows, duck valves, etc. Nothing stopped it. Then one day I found a small hole on a seam in the vacuum tank and sealed it with shoe goo. That held for years!

I am the wife.

That's the shortest, funniest comment I have read here for a while! Still smiling.

Your vacuumflush is cycling because the seal and the clam shell are leaking.

You can try one of the new and improved round toilet brushes, hold the foot valve and use the brush to scour both the edges of the clam shell and the gasket.

If you have a green build up, pour some CP, actually stands for clean potty (west marine or amazon)into the blow with minimal water, let is set for more than a few hours and then scrub the clam shell edges again. Watch the gre en stain on the clam shell disappear.

If that doesn't work, time to get the parts to rebuild it. Take the collar off at the base of the bowl and you will find the necessary model number to you can order the proper parts. Once you have the necessary parts, you can either try to do it yourself or have a knowledgable boating friend show you the "how".
There are good youtube videos available showing a range of servicing jobs on vacuflush units. Should help with the job.Or a decision to replace with a much less complex head unit.

D. Welcome. From one new owner to another, enjoy your trawler.
We took procession of our IG 32 3 weeks ago, just in time for haul out, last weekend. Although we have been boat owners (sail) for most of the last 50 years, for us, trawlers are a total new learning process. We also enjoy this forum.

Congratulation's!! Change the name the party is well worth it!!

I sort of thought it may never really happen, this dream of owning a boat we’ve had for so many years. Then, just a few months ago (June) it all came together. Mainship 1999, 350/390. Our first boat! Three years before planned but everything fell into place. We bought it! So Hi everyone, yes we are absolutely newbies. Thanks for having us here on Trawlerforum. We have so much to learn. :dance:
is it a 350 or a 390 we have a 390 great boat

Welcome aboard! Nice choice in boats.

Did you ever notice that 390 owners never call it a 350/390, that phenomenon seems to be exclusive to the 350 owners. Trust me, you'll never call it a 390 when you're renting transient slips by the foot ;) LOL!!!!
that's because a 390 is a different boat

And whatever you do, NEVER ask the question "What is a trawler" on this forum!!!....;) .

Congrts and welcome aboard. I have always been a fan of those boats. THey represent tremendous value and very comfortable. Have fun!!!

Massive congratulations Ms Wilson! I'm happy to see more and more lady captains around. Best of luck with your new ship.

Though we are in Chapel Hill, NC our boat is in Brunswick GA. We will probably bring her up to Wilmington, NC in the spring after we replace the packing gland and various other haul out maintenance. I’m making a list of things to check/do while the boat is hauled out. If anyone has suggestions please do chime in. Islands, yes Bahamas and beyond but not for a few years. We’re still working our day jobs for a while but getting pretty anxious to start our boating life. Patients needs to be our virtue.

Though we are in Chapel Hill, NC our boat is in Brunswick GA. We will probably bring her up to Wilmington, NC in the spring after we replace the packing gland and various other haul out maintenance. I’m making a list of things to check/do while the boat is hauled out. If anyone has suggestions please do chime in. Islands, yes Bahamas and beyond but not for a few years. We’re still working our day jobs for a while but getting pretty anxious to start our boating life. Patients needs to be our virtue.

Wifey B: When do you intend to say "No-Mo" to your day jobs? :D

I'd go Wilmington from Chapel Hill probably too, but New Bern is a little closer and Washington even closer, just in case you want a shorter drive. :)

We just had our offer on a trawler accepted TOO ! We are really enjoying this group I know you will too.

Thanks everyone for sharing, Steve and Alexa,

We just had our offer on a trawler accepted TOO ! We are really enjoying this group I know you will too.

Thanks everyone for sharing, Steve and Alexa,

Welcome aboard. What kind of boat? Congrats on your new baby.

I’m not talking NO-MO much on the job. Boss is a bit intimidated with my boating choice.

Congrats! Now... Have fun! Learn a lot!! Keep the maintenance schedule up!!!

New Trawler

I sort of thought it may never really happen, this dream of owning a boat we’ve had for so many years. Then, just a few months ago (June) it all came together. Mainship 1999, 350/390. Our first boat! Three years before planned but everything fell into place. We bought it! So Hi everyone, yes we are absolutely newbies. Thanks for having us here on Trawlerforum. We have so much to learn. :dance:

Welcome aboard! Congratulations!
There will be days you love it and days when you say "Why the F did I do this"?
LOL, we all have.
Enjoy your boat. It's a great experience.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom