Damper gone bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveK

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4588
In August I docked my boat with all gauges running normal, all sounds were normal, no indications of any problems. Two weeks later went to start engines and starboard immediately stopped solid. Starter would not move it. Checked fluids and coolant was down (later checked 1 quart).
Twins v. single? LOL. I completed my summer cruise plans on port only.
Friday with trans removed the problem became obvious. Two damper springs were awol, wedged between the housing and flywheel. No warnings.
Parts will be ordered and both engines will have new dampers installed.
SB damper miss 2 springs.jpg

New Damper.jpg
The old one missing 2 springs and parts of others. Rest were loose. Port engine damper had all loose springs. Both replaced. Not at all a difficult DIY job.

I confess a little ignorance - what do damper springs do? I assume they are part of the reverse gear, is there regular inspection or maintenance required (I hope not, I've never done either).

Glad you sorted her out.

We pulled our port engine yesterday in order to replace the port fuel tank. While the engine is out I will replace the damper plate on that transmission since it is sitting on the deck in the salon. Should be a much easier job than with the engine installed. My understanding is they should last around 2500 hours. My engines have about 1800 hours so that is close enough.

I confess a little ignorance - what do damper springs do? I assume they are part of the reverse gear, is there regular inspection or maintenance required (I hope not, I've never done either).

Damper springs absorb some of the engine's torsional power pulses so they don't affect the transmission gears so much.

Most people don't inspect or replace them until they go bad. Going bad usually means loss of springs or rubber inserts and (usually) doesn't do any harm when it fails. Failure symptoms are noise, flywheel lock up as above or no power to the transmission.

David

Really not a bad do it yourself job. The most difficult part might be to realign the shaft if you think it is needed. Plus, the part is relatively cheap, on a F.L. about $150, I think

pete

Glad you sorted her out.
reverse and forward mostly during the shift into and out of gear. Absorbs the sudden shock. Of course meant for idle shifting rpm, higher and the impact will lessen their life. This new to me boat shows enough rust to suggest many years since last changed. At 1500 hour life expectancy that could be 10 years.

Glad it was not into the engine job with head gasket as first thought.

Really not a bad do it yourself job. The most difficult part might be to realign the shaft if you think it is needed. Plus, the part is relatively cheap, on a F.L. about $150, I think

pete
$89.95 US$ plus tax and duty.
shaft alignment was real easy with a couple of come alongs and crow bars.

LOL. Just kidding, shaft was straight on.

Like everything else on a boat , Damper Plates come in a variety of prices and qualities.

Back
Top Bottom