Mayday call

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neurodoc

Vessel Name
Fitzcarraldo
Vessel Make
55 Ft Steel Trawler
Hi There! mi brother has had his boat on the hard for the last 8 weeks because he cannot get a spare part for one of his in/out Volvo engines.

He is looking for part number 874184 for a 260 HP turbodiesel Volvo Penta KAD 44.

As I understand it is just a silly voltage regulator that seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth. He asked at Volvo Argentina (where we live) and also in the US and Europe dealerships and the reply is always> out of stock. I am pretty sure there must be an aftermarket replacement for that part. Any clue?
Thanks a lot

PS those who provide positive info will get a bottle of excellent Argentine Merlot wine! :thumb:

Last edited:
Typical Volvo. They are known for loooong waits on parts.

It's basically a fancy truck engine.... pretty sure that the part we are looking for is a standard part on 10 different commercial Perkins motors

Last edited:
Hi There! mi brother has had his boat on the hard for the last 8 weeks because he cannot get a spare part for one of his in/out Volvo engines.

He is looking for part number 874184 for a 260 HP turbodiesel Volvo Penta KAD 44.

As I understand it is just a silly voltage regulator that seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth. He asked at Volvo Argentina (where we live) and also in the US and Europe dealerships and the reply is always> out of stock. I am pretty sure there must be an aftermarket replacement for that part. Any clue?
Thanks a lot

PS those who provide positive info will get a bottle of excellent Argentine Merlot wine! :thumb:

Here you go Mate.

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-874184-voltage-converter.aspx

best of luck

cheers.

H

Hi mate! The brand of the engine we look the part for is Volvo (I may be wrong, but heard these engines were actually made by Perkins)... but well, who made it is irrelevant. Thank you!

We called all the companies you passed me the links of, as well as Volvo Sweden. Part does not exist. We also made a couple of postings on Volvo's Facebook page and got an immediate ("canned") reply: contact a dealership!�� after some more pressuer on social media, they called us saying they may have found a part somewhere in southern USA. Next Tuesday well get a reply

Long wait for Volvo parts, maybe ! I just ordered a raw water pump shaft cross piece that only lasted 1800 hours on my 32 year old Volvo Diesel engine.
5 days delivery from Sweden.
My 12 year experience servicing my Volvo TMD31A engine is the engine is well built, some parts are pricey, routine maintenance filters, belts, etc can be purchased on line or thru NAPA very reasonable. eBay sellers have a great selection including major over haul items like new piston sleeves journal bearings, etc New starters, alternators, turbos, coolers, etc.
Way back in my sailing days the 2 cylinder 12 hp Volvo Diesel engine in our Cape Dory 28 never let us down so the bad rap I hear about Volvo engines hasn’t been my experience. ��

There has to be a non volvo alternative surely?

Looking at google images it appears, under the plastic, it could be something like the $10 voltage regulator off of our Kubota genset.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vol...hUKEwjrmufv7snlAhVJ7HMBHZdXBHcQ_AUoAnoECA0QAg

What exactly does it do?
What do other engines have?

It seems to me ut us sort of a voltage regulator

I was trying to find out (or expecting someone knew) what other engines shared this part! As a Volvo spare it costs 700 u$ ... on a truck it certainly would cost 20 bucks, as you say!

Update for missing Volvo part

Hi there,

this is to tell you that my brother finally will get not one, but TWO voltage regulators for his Volvo engine:

One he got from directly from Volvo ( customer service) they gave him a used part for free (to be istalled untill they or someone else finds / gets / manufactures a new one)

The second -seemingly, the last available in the entire world- he found at a Volvo dealership in USA.

Both parts will be arriving next Monday. :thumb:

Install the used and put the new in the parts bin. :)

That's great!

I'm surprised Volvo didn't give you the specifications for the part, so you could buy a compatible one on your own.

are you reading my mind????

Back
Top Bottom