Paravanes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Old School
Vessel Make
38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Ungawa to All:
I am re-installing my stabilizers and have a question. Which vane goes on which side of the boat? I took pictures of most of the stuff when I bought the boat 4 years ago, but none of them are any help now as I had a case of "new boat owner" then. Each of the paravanes has a zinc attached on one of the wings; one is attached to a stbd wing, the other vane has one on the port wing. My guess is the vane with the zinc on the stbd wing would be in the water on the stbd side of the boat, as the drag from the zinc would tend to slightly turn the vane to the outside of the boat which would be a good thing.
All thoughts appreciated, Happy Easter.
Mike
Baton Rouge

Attachments

• Paravanes 001.jpg
    Paravanes 001.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 134
  • Paravanes 002.jpg
    Paravanes 002.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 170
  • Paravanes 003.jpg
    Paravanes 003.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 170
  • Paravanes 004.jpg
    Paravanes 004.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 160
That's a great question Mike. And I wouldn't have a clue! Seems to me that your reasoning seems correct. Once you get them deployed, it would be great to see some pictures.

Drag or lift, which is it.

If the zink tends to lift the outside wing the bird, it would bank towards your boat like an airplane banks in a turn. I guess trying will be the answer.

Zinc on the birds?

Most boats are long out of fuel before a zinc would be usefull.

FF

Yeah, I wondered why the PO had zincs on them too. He did take some long trips offshore Atlantic though, Baltimore to Nova Scotia. I dont think the zincs would cause lift, just thinking the drag would make them turn slightly towards the zinc, if that make sense. I'll be trying them soon and will let you all know how things work out. I have no experience with this but should be no big deal.

This one is fun! My guess is that the weight on the wing tip would make it roll to that side and the additional drag would make it yaw in that direction as well. I think I'd first try it with the zincs away from the boat. Can you contact the PO and ask him why the heck he put zincs on the flopper stoppers?

I do not see the zincs as having any effect while the vessel is on the move. But there could have been some thought for them if the paravanes where left deployed at anchor for long times if thats how the vessel moored.

I don't think there is a right or left.
I don't have zincs on mine but with the forces at play I don't think they will have much effect on the purpose of the Paravanes.

They sure do smooth out the ride. I love mine.
I get into some snotty weather once in a while. I wouldn't be without them.

I noticed the rust stains on the place where you attach the lines. You could play around with those attachment points to see if there is any difference to the effectivness of the ride.

SD

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom