Engine removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobsyiruncle

Vessel Make
36 Mainship
I have to rebuild or replace one of of my crusader 270s.
Because of its size it will have to be disassembled down to the block where is but even then it might be a problem.
The question is how to pull it out of the boat ......seems like it could not go through a side window but might go out the aft door.
I am considering a chainfall on a fork lift inserted in the window and then shifted to the center where it could be picked up and removed through the door.
Anybody try this?
Or maybe I should ask if anyone has a better idea.

If you strip it to a bare shortblock (heads off, etc.) it should be light enough to a-frame it out of the engine room and get a few strong guys to carry it out of the cabin. Depending on the size of your doorways, etc. you might be able to leave heads on. In that case you'd want to use a forklift or crane or something to carry the weight.

ok thanks
hoist or tripod going up is fine but it appears they slid the engine by hand to the center across a piece of plywood or something - should work

I like and appreciate the slow, cautious moves on the video, however.. just can't wrap my head around the placement of the wheels of the engine hoist, too close to the engine bay, a tiny slip could send the whole works down into the bilge HARD. You should also support the floor under those wheels. I hear it "creaking" wouldn't take much extra weight to crack a floor joist. Mine are about 2X2 only, hardwood but, just saying..

pete

I went through this with Detroit 8v71's. I can tell you how mine came out, which may work for you. If the doorway is wide enough, its probably better than a window because of the greater vertical clearance. Measure the doorway and strip the engines down so they'll fit through. You might be able to leave the heads on. Then place A supports on both sides of the engine hatch with an I beam in between. Use a roller trolley on the I beam and attach a chain hoist to it. Take a strain one the first engine, release the motor mounts and move the engine with the trolley to the center of the engine bay. Then block it up from underneath and detach the chain and hoist. Reach through the doorway with a forklift boom, chain-up the engine and lift if up and out. Having enough vertical height in the doorway for the lift is key.

ok thanks
hoist or tripod going up is fine but it appears they slid the engine by hand to the center across a piece of plywood or something - should work

and as so many 'helpful' instructions read, "reassemble in reverse order."

We pulled one of our SP225s today. Fortunately we don’t need to take it out of the salon because in order to do that we have to take it out through the flybridge deck. I am replacing one of my fuel tanks so we pulled the port engine and stacked it on top of the starboard engine. It weighs about 1350 pounds with the transmission. It took us 2 hours to get it up and blocked on the starboard side. I agree with supporting the deck well. We built a framework under the deck and goes down to the stringers.

Reach through the doorway with a forklift boom, chain-up the engine and lift if up and out. Having enough vertical height in the doorway for the lift is key.

I did mine the same way. Easy-peasy.

I was able to reach all the way over the engine with a forklift boom soit could be done in one lift. It took me about 10 minutes to pull the engine after all the prep work was done. New engine went in the same way, and took about the same time.

Last edited:
We pulled one of our SP225s today. Fortunately we don’t need to take it out of the salon because in order to do that we have to take it out through the flybridge deck. I am replacing one of my fuel tanks so we pulled the port engine and stacked it on top of the starboard engine. It weighs about 1350 pounds with the transmission. It took us 2 hours to get it up and blocked on the starboard side. I agree with supporting the deck well. We built a framework under the deck and goes down to the stringers.

Dave, did you have a bit of a stbd list with the engines stacked?:eek:

No, the jack stands held it upright ok... My wife was sure that it would fall off the jack stands so she got off the boat when we pulled the engine. I started a thread of “fuel tank replacement “ with photos of it.

Pete
I agree with you that the placement of the wheel supports was flawed. I would not do that

Ken
This more or less was my rebuilders thought and BTW he was opposed to buying a short block anywhere with the idea that he wanted to know that everything was done correctly. That is what I liked about him
Just for your info he says under $4000

I agree about the wheels in the video, way too close to the hatch opening. I would have screw a strip of wood around the opening to stop the wheel from rolling into the hole.

The question is how to pull it out of the boat ......seems like it could not go through a side window but might go out the aft door.
I am considering a chainfall on a fork lift inserted in the window and then shifted to the center where it could be picked up and removed through the door.

Our boatyard puts boats stern-to on their service bulkead, then uses a boom truck to extend into the cabin area, lift the engine, etc. Usually takes them about 10 minutes...

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom