New Member Introduction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turning Point

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Turning Point
Vessel Make
67’ Ed Monk Pilothouse Trawler
My wife and I have been living and cruising aboard "Turning Point" a 67' Monk Pilothouse trawler that we built over the past several years. I know...I know, I was in the boat business and should have known better than to build one.... I owned Project Boat Company, so one might argue that I fell into my own trap.

We are moored in Anacortes, WA this winter catching up on repairs and maintenance. Next season we head back north to Desolation Sound, maybe one more trip to Alaska.
I'm happy to post more photos or information?

Duncan

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC01061 (2).jpg
    DSC01061 (2).jpg
    162 KB · Views: 107
Welcome, beautiful boat!

Lovely boat. Yes more pics would be great. Welcome to TF.

a few more photos

The interior photos were from a few years ago with some loose ends.
The others are in Desolation Sound.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 84
  • CIMG3013.jpg
    CIMG3013.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 88
  • Desolation Sound .jpg
    Desolation Sound .jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 2010 cruise 055.jpg
    2010 cruise 055.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 89
Welcome TP.
Your boat is not a common design/size, yet, I don't remember ever seeing you in the Desolation, Broughtons, area etc. Nice boat! Enjoy the projects.
Tom

Wow, love the lines on the boat. Love the highbow and large deck.

Thanks Tom!
It was her lines that got me in trouble in the first place :)

Duncan

Amazing boat! Great story!

Wondering what unique features you like in your boat. An interior deck plan would be helpful too.

Last edited:
Great lines, maybe I missed it, what year?

Hi rsn48!
It’s a 2006 on paper but it’s still a work in progress here and there. There was no budget for outside labor so it’s taking awhile.

Duncan

I am always surprised at how many Monk designed boats there are out there. Locally in British Columbia, I'm surprised at how many Grenfell designs still surviving.

Wondering what unique features you like in your boat. An interior deck plan would be helpful too.
MarkPierce, Thanks!
That was a thought provoking question. Because the build has been over a period of years, many often subtle modifications to the original plans occurred to me that I would have otherwise missed.
Overall I’m pleased to have adequate systems, tools and rum enough to travel comfortably for months at a time.

Duncan

Welcome aboard, TP! She's definitely got some lovely lines and a nicely curved backside. Stabilized? How does she handle the big stuff?

BTW, is that a crow's nest I see on the forward mast?

FlyWright , thanks!
Her sistership is stabilized. It never felt needed and would have added another level of complexity and expense. I collected most of the parts and pieces to install paravanes but it’s the same story.
We’ve been up and down the coast to the Bay Area (we spent three years in Emery Cove) in less than ideal conditions but in relative comfort.

What may look like a Crow’s nest may be the oval aluminum plate to shield the foredeck from the glare of the steaming light?

Duncan

Salty! What engines and genset(s)?
Ken E. ...
thanks!
Twin Cummins 6bt 210hp w/twin disk 3:1 gears.

Generator is 22KW Northern Lights 1200rpm. (Overkill here, initially I planned on installing reverse cycle AC throughout.I have a lot of extra juice!)

Great Boat

:thumb:
My wife and I have been living and cruising aboard "Turning Point" a 67' Monk Pilothouse trawler that we built over the past several years. I know...I know, I was in the boat business and should have known better than to build one.... I owned Project Boat Company, so one might argue that I fell into my own trap.

We are moored in Anacortes, WA this winter catching up on repairs and maintenance. Next season we head back north to Desolation Sound, maybe one more trip to Alaska.
I'm happy to post more photos or information?

That is a great boat! You will certainly be cruising in comfort and safety. :thumb:

Duncan

I would like to know where in Ancortes and do they have any liveaboard slips available there.
Beautiful craft!

I would like to know where in Ancortes and do they have any liveaboard slips available there.
Beautiful craft!

Thanks!
We’re moored at Lovrics, on Guemes channel. Tiny marina, full for now.

Duncan

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom