We bought a Trawler! OMG!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D. Wilson

Vessel Name
NO-MO
Vessel Make
1999 Mainship 350
I sort of thought it may never really happen, this dream of owning a boat we’ve had for so many years. Then, just a few months ago (June) it all came together. Mainship 1999, 350/390. Our first boat! Three years before planned but everything fell into place. We bought it! So Hi everyone, yes we are absolutely newbies. Thanks for having us here on Trawlerforum. We have so much to learn. :dance:

Last edited:
Greetings,

OMG! Welcome aboard!

200.webp

Welcome aboard, hope you kept some money for the wine and celebration.
You must be aware that the tradition for a new boat is to invite all TFers aboard for a big party!

L

I sort of thought it may never really happen, this dream of owning a boat we’ve had for so many years. Then, just a few months ago (June) it all came together. Mainship 1999, 350/390. Our first boat! Three years before planned but everything fell into place. We bought it! So Hi everyone, yes we are absolutely newbies. Thanks for having us here on Trawlerforum. We have so much to learn. :dance:

Welcome aboard! Any pictures?

Lou is correct about the tradition of having TFers aboard for your new life launch! Also, please bring copious amounts of adult beverages for consumption to your Welcome Nubee celebration at the 2020 TF Rendezvous in Ft. Pierce!

don't ask about soldering, anchors, engine oil, chartplotters, autopilots, terminal strips, generators, deck rot, anti-roll systems, best cruising grounds, or best anchoring spots.
And all will be well. Welcome :angel:

D,

Welcome aboard, and congrats on your new boat. You picked a good one. The Mainships are great boats, and very popular as I'm sure you know. They are the "Chevy" of boating. Not fancy, but easy to buy, sell, enjoy and maintain.

And they are a LOT of fun. I'm going on 3 years of owning mine and originally though I'd sell it shortly after finishing the loop, but decided to just keep it. I still look at bigger boats and "might" step up a bit but most likely the 430 Mainship.

Do you have single or twins? What are you gonna do with it? Local, loop, cruise to FL for the winter?

Now, first thing, get the best training captain you can so you can get intimate with your boat..... and train with your partner.

Congratulations and welcome aboard! Details, photos please.

Welcome aboard! This salty group is all business and NO sarcasm.....

After all that dreaming that is the boat you bought! :) Pretty obvious there is no sarcasm on this forum.
Enjoy your new boat, I am sure she will serve you well. I hope you didn't spend the entire budget on the boat purchase. For example, I just spent $2 boat units on mine this past week for a small repair and some preventative "upgrades".
Whatever you do, don't change the boat's name. If you do, you will need to host not only the TF welcome to my new boat party, but you will also have to conduct a "boat renaming ceremony" with copious amounts of adult libations. So, paying 2 airfares for us westcoasters to come out will get pretty expensive for you :)
Best,

Tom

Hello Hope you will have a great time with your new boat am a new member of this forum myself , just bought a boat too

Enjoy! We have the same trawler, 1997 year. Been in the family since new with very few issues. You picked a good boat!

D. Wilson - Congratulations and welcome!

Welcome aboard TF from another happy Mainship owner.
Please tell us more and include some pics

Can’t believe I’m actually here.

I’ll post a few pics when I figure out how to paste them here. I’m not so familiar with forums.

We’re certainly impressed with the thoughtful layout and sturdiness of the boat. As far as enjoyment goes, I think by this time next year after much practice moving into and out of tight slips, checking fuel levels, filling tanks, figuring out which sounds are okay and which might be “issues”, connecting and disconnecting to shore power and gosh, we haven’t even set our (is it too small) anchor yet...so much to learn...and why is our vaccuflush head pump cycling? Yes give us a year and I bet you I’ll without notice, realize I’m not panicking, apprehensive or scrambling for the manual...I’m actually having fun.

Our engine is a well maintained single Catapillar. We just had hoses, clamps,heat exchangers, impellers, packing gland, generator, zincs, wiring and so much else serviced.

We will retire in a few years and are slowly getting the boat ready for exploring the islands. Wish we could start now but things like boat dollars and health insurance are motivation for working.?

I’m looking forward to being part of this group and one day contributing knowledge and experience....one day.

Welcome aboard! Nice choice in boats.

Did you ever notice that 390 owners never call it a 350/390, that phenomenon seems to be exclusive to the 350 owners. Trust me, you'll never call it a 390 when you're renting transient slips by the foot ;) LOL!!!!

My sympathies.

Open up a secret checking account with no statements. Never discuss cost of anything with your wife. Every time you walk in the house with a box or USPS drops a package off, just say "It's for the boat"

If she pins you down just explain how the new depth finder is so much safer and provides much more information the the one you just bought 6 months ago. Use a lot of words like beam shifting and trilateral frequencies. Should derail any questions about cost. Deflection is way more important skill than docking in gale force winds.

Don't let anyone sidetrack you from the 2 most important things on any boat. A cold fridge and a comfortable chair on the aft deck.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! Nice choice in boats.

Did you ever notice that 390 owners never call it a 350/390, that phenomenon seems to be exclusive to the 350 owners. Trust me, you'll never call it a 390 when you're renting transient slips by the foot ;) LOL!!!!

true, my 390 becomes a 350 every year when im paying my wet storage and whenever i pull into a marina when travelling. Good choice in boats. BTW my buddy has a vacuflush that cycles and he had to look for the vacuum leak. Also they will cycle if the seal in the bowl is not clean. a quick wipe with a damp sponge might be all you need.
John

super duper!! you'll either have fun or a divorce:thumb:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom