Where is the best place for a bottom job in Stuart?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Some of my bottom paint fell off from the pressure/movement? of the jack stands during Dorian. I was due for a bottom job anyway, and need to find a place I can get it hauled ASAP.

IMG_7089.jpg

They are good, but DIY

there are only few others there

Ideally find somewhere that has a good fiberglass guy in case any damage is found from the pressure of the stands

Ideally find somewhere that has a good fiberglass guy in case any damage is found from the pressure of the stands

A&J Boatworks...speak time Steve

The rigger that I’m using in Stuart (Travis Mack of Mack Sails) suggested Port Salerno for the bottom assessment.

Have to agree on A&J. Steve is the main guy, Dorothy in the office. They also allowed me to stay on the boat during the work. Great eats are walking distance.

I was impressed with Hinckley in Stuart, fair prices, good work and an extreme effort to please the customer. That was a couple of years back, but I'd go there again for sure.

Finally got it arranged. Couldn’t get into any of the places mentioned earlier. Will put the boat at Allied Marina in Stuart for a month or so waiting on a new mast and Apex Marine and Travis Mack and I look at the bottom tomorrow. This is the same place I used when the mast and rigging was installed a few years ago.

I really hate going to repair yards, but I don’t want to do a bottom job myself. Travis is knowledgeable when it comes to Island Packets, so hopefully he can give me some good direction.

Last edited:
I was impressed with Hinckley in Stuart, fair prices, good work and an extreme effort to please the customer. That was a couple of years back, but I'd go there again for sure.

:thumb:

Don’t forget Whiticar, they have an operation in Stuart.

Finally got it arranged. Couldn’t get into any of the places mentioned earlier. Will put the boat at Allied Marina in Stuart for a month or so waiting on a new mast and Apex Marine and Travis Mack and I look at the bottom tomorrow. This is the same place I used when the mast and rigging was installed a few years ago.

I really hate going to repair yards, but I don’t want to do a bottom job myself. Travis is knowledgeable when it comes to Island Packets, so hopefully he can give me some good direction.

I'm wondering how your insurance company is treating you through all this? You have certainly gone above and beyond most owners efforts to reduce their exposure?

River Forest did mine $45/ft.

Was such a good job I didn't want to put it in the water.

I'm wondering how your insurance company is treating you through all this? You have certainly gone above and beyond most owners efforts to reduce their exposure?

They have not done much. Sent a Bahamain surveyor from Nassau over to look at it but have not seen a report yet. I’m getting my own estimates together and will send them in soon.

My insurance company did send me a non-renewal letter telling me they were getting out of the market because they lost their reinsurance contract with Lloyd’s. I’m guessing they have a few claims. I sure hope they don’t go under.

My policy ends 11/7 so I’m trying to hustle to get the ball rolling faster. I have a claim number already and the process has been started, but I want to speed it up. My policy had a big $8000 named storm deductible so I won’t get very much out of them I’m afraid. The insurance company is Global Marine and the agency is Anchor Marine.

Any pointers on how to deal with the insurance company are appreciated.

What I like about the Stuart area is, great mom and pop sea food restaurants and everything is close.

Yes Stuart is a great town. Really good restaurants. The water coming from the lake is super gross however and causes lots of growth IIRC. And the inlet scares me, but I’ve never been through it so maybe it’s just the fear of the unknown. [emoji6]

Yes Stuart is a great town. Really good restaurants. The water coming from the lake is super gross however and causes lots of growth IIRC. And the inlet scares me, but I’ve never been through it so maybe it’s just the fear of the unknown. [emoji6]

SMILE There is a lot of stories about that inlet. When I was at Chapman's, we trained on that inlet. Never had a problem. If you don't know or don't listen to the stories, you wont have any problem if you use common sense. Don't get too close to the nav aids. Some are floating and on chains.
Now, you want a fun inlet, try Haulover, north of Miami. It is narrow, has a delta, so stay close to the shore .... A good depth sounder is a strong suggestion. The key is to stay close enough the shore, once under the bridge but, not too close or you will end up on the rocks.
I think there are a number of videos of small boats using Haulover.... Again, common sense and picking your tide action, ride the waves.

Last edited:
Cardude/Bill:
PM me if you need assistance of any sort. We are 30 minutes away in Jupiter, know the Stuart area, have a pickup truck for whatever need, garage full of power tools, table saw, drill press, miters, boat parts, etc etc. and helpful attitudes! I will PM you contact info. At a minimum can meet you and, on behalf of the TF Crew, take you to dinner as a thank you for the boating adventure you are giving all of us. RT Firefly told me to be sure and invite EVERYONE who can come and he would pick up the tab. Such a nice guy!

Last edited:
Cardude/Bill:
PM me if you need assistance of any sort. We are 30 minutes away in Jupiter, know the Stuart area, have a pickup truck for whatever need, garage full of power tools, table saw, drill press, miters, boat parts, etc etc. and helpful attitudes! I will PM you contact info. At a minimum can meet you and, on behalf of the TF Crew, take you to dinner as a thank you for the boating adventure you are giving all of us. RT Firefly told me to be sure and invite EVERYONE who can come and he would pick up the tab. Such a nice guy!

Thanks so much for the generous offer! I talked to Travis at Mack Sails and the yard manager yesterday and I’m on the schedule to get hauled early next week for bottom assessment and mast removal. So I think I’ve got it lined up.

I’m flying back to Texas today to take care of some things and work out the estimate for the insurance company, but will be back soon to take advantage of RT’s generous free dinner! [emoji23]

Thanks so much for the generous offer! I talked to Travis at Mack Sails and the yard manager yesterday and I’m on the schedule to get hauled early next week for bottom assessment and mast removal. So I think I’ve got it lined up.

I’m flying back to Texas today to take care of some things and work out the estimate for the insurance company, but will be back soon to take advantage of RT’s generous free dinner! [emoji23]

Glad you have things going. Let me know if you do need me to do something or check on anything. I am easing into retirement so half my time is spent reading TF in my office and the other 1/2 reading TF at home. It's an ugly job but.....

Just ignore RTF. I have his AMEX card. Last time I saw him his wife gave it to me for safe keeping. Told me "He gets outta control sometimes....". We are good.

Last edited:
...Any pointers on how to deal with the insurance company are appreciated.

Document, document and document. We had $66k claim one year. Our insurance company sent out a surveyor. I picked the yard for the repairs and got an estimate for each task from that yard. The insurance company would then approve each one before the work started. After completion, we both signed off and the check was cut.

I doucumwnted everything including ever conversation, phone call with the time and date plus I took probably 1000 pictures. There was a detail that the insurance company balked at but I was able to reference the conversation with pictures and they ok’d it. That being said it was a 4 month process for the claim and during that time addition damage was found so the estimates had to be revisited up and approved.

Good luck. I feel for you Bill especially with the Insurance company pulling out of the market.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom