Folding Radar Tower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IntoTheBlue

Vessel Name
Into The Blue
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 43
We have to go under a bridge every time we leave port, so having a folding radar tower is a definite requirement. So after buying the boat 13 years ago I had one fabricated. It worked fine for years, but with tides changing (another subject that can be discussed, but please not here), the time before and after high tide to fit under the bridge has increased on a yearly basis from 10 minutes to 2 1/2 hours this year. The tide swing here off the Connetquot River is minimal, so every inch I can save is monumental.

With that in mind, I would like to replace my current radar arch (which has the hinge on the top of the hardtop) to one with the hinge over the front of the edge of the roof. This would save an approximate 6 inches. I found one company on the web in Seattle (Who Dat Towers) who offers this design.

Does anyone know of a fabricator who may do this on the east coast?

Thanks!

We had a radar arch made at Atlantic Towers for a previous boat. Worked well. They also fabricated a hardtop for the cockpit on that boat. No affiliation.

I don't know the maker but I can find out what I purchased commercially for my boat. With my boat on a trailer, from the ground to the top of the boat can only be 16 feet so a folding pedestal was purchased. It isn't an arch so you might not be interested.

I used a company called Nautical Creations to fabricate a hinged radar mount for me a couple of months ago. He's in Louisville, KY.
Custom makes everything to fit customer's specific needs at a very reasonable price. Got exactly what I needed, fabricated and delivered in about 10 days.
https://nauticalcreations.com

I had mine made by a local t-top/tuna tower mfg according to my design drawings. Compared to what those guys normally fab up, mine was a piece of cake and not expensive. In fact, all the mtl came from their scrap pile.

My first radar arch I purchased from Atlantic Towers about 20 years ago (for a different boat). They’re in NJ, right? They did a wonderful job, including the installation. Thanks, I’ll check them out.

I was checking the removable option offered by Nautical Creations. (My radar transmits via WiFi, so the only cord is power). When you worked with them, did they customize your pedestal?

Thanks!

That sounds like a job for a local shop. Not too big, not at all specialized, but very specific to your boat, so you need to deliver accurate measurements and be there to explain your drawings.
When I was offered a shelter, 20 years ago, I had my radar on a mast that protruded above the allowable shelter height. I knew a welder who was good on custom stuff for a boatbuilder client, he had no trouble making my radar drop below shelter height, done quickly, not very expensive and very appropriately for the task. You need to find one.

Anybody that fabricates for the commercial fishing industry can make about anything. From a drawing, a picture, or plans.

Anybody that fabricates for the commercial fishing industry can make about anything. From a drawing, a picture, or plans.

The trouble is that says nothing about how timely they are, how careful they are about the installation process or how well they support their work after the fact. I think this is what's being asked here, someone local that will do a decent job for a private vessel.

I was checking the removable option offered by Nautical Creations. (My radar transmits via WiFi, so the only cord is power). When you worked with them, did they customize your pedestal?

Thanks!

They made the pedestal as part of the order. Here are two pictures showing the mount upright and folded down. This radar dome is also WiFi but I also have a GPS antenna and navigation/anchor lights on it.

Attachments

• IMG_2674 (1).jpg
    IMG_2674 (1).jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2677.jpg
    IMG_2677.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom