Neah Bay to Astoria Thursday?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In La Push. What a beautiful day. Clear, light winds, nice views of the Olympics and the coastline. AND only $25 for a slip for the night with power.

Still planning on a 6:00 AM departure and arrive at the Columbia Bar ~10:00PM. On the flood with a 1ft SW swell forecast. Looks like easy money. (Trawlers Forum needs an icon for crossed fingers!)

Rethinking. Going to do Westport tomorrow then into Astoria Saturday morning. Really enjoying the shorter day trips instead of doing the whole thing in 24 hours. Plus the weather is just perfect for a joy ride down the coast.

Good choice! I had to rethink my trips up/down the coast with the new slower boat too. Used to do it in one day from Neah Bay to Ilwaco just across the Columbia bar, now it is 2-3 days.

Last edited:
Docked in Illwaco after a very gentle and fun trip. Good weather and fair seas make a passage much easier. Glad I took the advice and broke it up. The last 2 times we did this we ran it all the way in 21-24 hours.

Headed up the Columbia tomorrow. Will wave at Tom on the way by. :)

Docked in Illwaco after a very gentle and fun trip. Good weather and fair seas make a passage much easier. Glad I took the advice and broke it up. The last 2 times we did this we ran it all the way in 21-24 hours.

Headed up the Columbia tomorrow. Will wave at Tom on the way by. :)

:thumb::thumb::peace::speed boat:

Actually, we parked just a few miles from you Tom, at the Columbia River Yacht Club outstation behind Walker Island. Nice and quiet and all to ourselves. Didn't find any Alaskan Amber in Illwaco or I woulda dropped it on your dock. Will have to drop some by sometime this winter.

Actually, we parked just a few miles from you Tom, at the Columbia River Yacht Club outstation behind Walker Island. Nice and quiet and all to ourselves. Didn't find any Alaskan Amber in Illwaco or I woulda dropped it on your dock. Will have to drop some by sometime this winter.

We love Walker Island Dock. You are welcome anytime!

We have also started anchoring behind Tongue Point in Lois Island Bay when we have done the long trip.

Glad to hear you had a nice trip down south. How was La Push? We really enjoyed that little town.
AA is a bit hard to find in Portland, especially in quantity, cuz that Tom will put it away! LOL
And where are you mooring your boat for the winter?
Cheers

Glad to hear you had a nice trip down south. How was La Push? We really enjoyed that little town.
AA is a bit hard to find in Portland, especially in quantity, cuz that Tom will put it away! LOL
And where are you mooring your boat for the winter?
Cheers

Surprisingly really enjoyed La Push. Not the "town" or the marina, (I am amazed that you can get your boat in there!) but the scenery and the people we met. Photo gallery at GalleyWenchTales.com which is the wife's travel blog.

We'll be in Jantzen Bay. I need a covered slip to overhaul the upper decking teak over the winter. I was supposed to have it done this summer but.... You know how it goes. Replacing all the plugs and God knows how many feet of caulking should keep me busy at least.

Wayne and Dana, I got a kick out of the title of your blog. Galley Wench has been my wife Tina's nickname for many years. People who we have just met are surprised to hear me refer to her as my Galley Wench. If only they knew it was her choice of a nickname.

Enjoyed your blog, thanks for the beautiful photos and narrative. Safe Travels.

Agree with La Push being surprisingly nice. Some great beaches too. But what is REALLY eye opening are the size of the trees/dead heads on the beach. Some have to be old growth. Just massive. Knowing that these monsters float out there I don’t like going at night.

The entry to the harbor can be bad. A few years ago the coast guard lost two men when their 46 footer rolled and got smashed up on the rocks.

Last edited:
WayneDana, when you have a few days with nothing to do and want to have some great cruising, head upriver about 235 miles to the Tri Cities. It's a beautiful trip coming up through the Gorge and you get to pass through 4 locks on your way up.

If you're a club member you'll get to stay free at our club, Clover Island YC, which has often been called the friendliest club on the river.

From here you can head up the Snake if you want or just turn back downstream to home. For us, we plan on about 2.5 days between PDX and here. If you want any questions answered, just PM me.

I made the similar trip a couple of years ago in a CHB 34. Passed Neah Bay around 7:y am, made Astoria at noon the next day..Portland 4:00 am the next morning

Back
Top Bottom