Jet thruster, bow/stern thuster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capitaine R

Vessel Name
Charlie Noble
Vessel Make
32 Nordic Tug
I tried doing a search on this subject without any luck.
I was wondering if anyone has looked into these type of thrusters? I only stumbled across them during a search for typical thrusters on the web. I already have a bow thruster and was looking for a stern unit.
I don't really like the looks of the hang off and down from the boat stern type and I don't know if I have the room for a tunnel style. Not sure how a water pump will stand up to salt water and I haven't searched enough to know if they are using stainless steel impellers and volutes, or if the price is out of this world.

https://youtu.be/7pPzvpngkHM

I saw a system a while ago that was a jet system. Don’t know anything about them but I would worry that they might not be powerful enough for a 37’ boat. I put a stern thruster on my boat. It was easy. I did measure several times before I cut the 8” hole in the stern. Really you can’t see mine under the swim platform. It is a Sidepower.

I like the concept but when we installed our bow thruster I worried that the pump and other hardware were very big, bulky and heavy. My understanding is they are not as efficient as prop types but would likely do an adequate job if sized properly. Power requirements must also be considered. If you go this route please let us know how it works out for you and pictures are always appreciated.

very neat install

I'm digging up this old thread because I have been trying to find a neater looking stern thruster set up for our older NT, and I just came across a 2018 NT for sale and strolled thru the pictures and want to find out more info on this boats keel thruster set up. If there is any way to make this neat and clean set up work in our old NT we will try to make it happen. I know its a side power unit but that is all I have found out so far. I found the video of the boat being built but they go over it so fast it is hard to determine exactly how it was installed.It sure is pretty.

Attachments

• Tug Keel Thruster.JPG
    Tug Keel Thruster.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 90
Watched the install video. Interesting clams. Not doubled clamped?

A friend of mine installed one last year at the stern of his boat. Works great. It's VERY powerful compared to his "normal" tunnel bow thruster. The quality of the parts looks outstanding.

Back
Top Bottom